Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 04:23 AM

797 posts, read 1,754,842 times

Advertisements

Completely anecdotal but I've heard that Harvard is the least desirable out of your list. I believe (going off memory) that it has higher crime compared to the other towns too.

Bring a ton of money. Homes in the area you are searching are expensive. Stow has been on several lists as one of the best places to live, which comes with a price tag.

Have you ever been to MA? I suggest buying a car with 4 wheel drive if you don't have one already. The commute in the winter is atrocious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 04:24 AM

797 posts, read 1,754,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Welcome. I would recommend Andover as a great place with very lively town "downtown area", and not as too remote or rural. Your husband would have great commute, town has excellent schools, and even offer train station into Boston, if his employment changes (or yours changes) for some reason.

Rural life in very cold, snowy area might be too much to handle if coming from FL. You might need generator, bigger snowblower, and all other extra expenditures, to be prepared for a life in rural MA during the winter time. Andover offers nicer balance IMHO, but also like Harvard has little pond area that residents can enjoy.

You would also be closer to shore and beaches, as well as tax free shopping in NH, including mountains and skiing.

Good luck.
Agree. Andover would be a much nicer alternative! North Andover, too. Just make sure to avoid Lawrence.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:08 AM

341 posts, read 303,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamarie4B View Post
- We have a budget of about $650k, preferably a single family home.
- Where can we find stores that sell good quality jackets and boots rated for the "northern cold"?
- Any negatives about the aforementioned towns? Yes, we have considered Littleton too.
- is there a YMCA for aftercare for kids around?
- When is a good time to go for lobster and crabs? Are blue crabs abundant there?
You will be fine with $650k in that area for a SFH. I knew a bunch of folks that transferred from St Pete to this area for a Job in Tewksbury years ago. I remember how they mentioned it gets darker sooner up here and they hated the snow and cold, but got used to it quick enough. This area is about 45 minutes from the Salisbury/Hampton beach area which has some great seafood places. I love Browns. Lobster, Mussels, Clams are what's easiest to get here. It's usually rock crab, not blue crab. The only place I know of where you can consistently get blue crab during the season is in Chinatown, Boston, and you'll have to bring them home to cook.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,152,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Completely anecdotal but I've heard that Harvard is the least desirable out of your list. I believe (going off memory) that it has higher crime compared to the other towns too.
This is wildly off base. A quick review of Harvard's crime statistics reveals it is as uneventful as one would imagine an affluent low density town to be. I'm sure Havards PD snags some drug traffickers migrating through Harvard via rt 2 or 110; however, it is an incredibly safe town with minimal social ills.

Andover, while desirable, certainly suffers far more incidents of crime given the greater density and proximity to Lawrence.

I wouldn't burden the OP with crime scares given that every town mentioned is exceedingly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts