Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:01 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,052,419 times

Advertisements

This question is hard to answer directly as none of these terms are mutually exclusive. Both NYC and Boston are White collar and blue collar yet pretentious for some reasons, but down to earth/less pretentious for other reasons (materialism, education). Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but nevertheless, here's some comparisons.

NYC is pretentious in regards to materialism. There are those who "must" live in NYC and will live in Bushwick or BedSty/Bedford-Stuyvesant to make it happen, or will live in East Harlem or settle for a small apartment at a high price because they "must" live in Manhattan. Those who are well off in the Metro may be more prone to showing their wealth in what they wear, drive and where they live.

In Boston, there isn't as much importance placed in living in Boston proper, even if Boston does has desireable neighborhoods, in comparison. Boston residents would sooner live in Medford, Malden, Waltham, or another suburb than pay a premium to live in Mattapan or Roxbury just to live in Boston. Also, among the well off in the suburbs, while there are those who are materialistic who will drive luxury cars and wear certain brands, there are plenty who live more modestly despite what others may do.

Boston is pretentious in regards to education. With so many great colleges and universities in the area and most fields in the area requiring some type of formal education, you'll be competing with those who went to some of the most prestigious schools in the country.

In NYC, while fields requiring education also exist, other fields that are strong in NYC (i.e. Arts and Entertainment), don't necessarily require formal education (although nice to have). The emphasis in prestigious schools may not be as prominent. Even in fields requiring education, no one's going to be laughed at by finishing with honors at a local college such as Fordham or any campus of Rutgers because they didn't attend Tufts or BU.

Of course, in both Metros, you have cities/towns that are working class, blue collar (i.e. Port Chester and Long Beach, NY in NYC Metro as well as Woburn and Weymouth MA in Boston Metro as examples). However, there are more extremes between wealthy communities and poor communities outside NYC (i.e. West Orange vs. East Orange, NJ; Bronxville vs. Mount Vernon, NY; Garden City vs. Hempstead, NY; Fairfield vs. Bridgeport, CT., etc.) compared to Boston (i.e. Andover vs. Lawrence, MA; Swampscott vs. Lynn, MA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM

226 posts, read 386,794 times
I find NYC pretensions way more tolerable.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:02 PM

65 posts, read 179,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
In Boston, there isn't as much importance placed in living in Boston proper, even if Boston does has desireable neighborhoods, in comparison. Boston residents would sooner live in Medford, Malden, Waltham, or another suburb than pay a premium to live in Mattapan or Roxbury just to live in Boston. Also, among the well off in the suburbs, while there are those who are materialistic who will drive luxury cars and wear certain brands, there are plenty who live more modestly despite what others may do.
Re: less materialism in Boston. I don't find this to be the case. Both cities just gravitate to very different brands. New York is avant-garde. In Boston, you see a lot of love for the older brands like Vera Bradley, Coach, etc.

Interestingly, I found people in NYC to be not so conscious re: handbag brands. Have a nice bag? Decent leather? Hold all your stuff? You're good to go in NYC and people won't say anything about not seeing a brand. The Century 21 (NYC dept store) handbag section is full of no name brands but it's always packed and making a killing. IME, in Boston, people are a little more vocal about no name brand handbags. (Although I still don't care and, unfortunately, the starter bags that were in a decade ago like Coach are still considered the must have brands in Boston.)

Also, when you say people in Boston are more likely to live within their means, I think it's b/c you are comparing an unequal amount of wealth. The number of TRULY wealthy people in Boston pales in comparison to NYC. That's why you are less likely to see extravagance here or people trying to emulate it.

Last edited by pandas&presents; 04-25-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 01:23 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Boston.

But you can get mugged either city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts