Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

278 posts, read 1,063,791 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,
I have lived in MA for a year, so I'm still new. I have 2 kids in high school (9th & 10th grades), and it's time to consider the college routes. Tuition costs are appalling...how do people send 2 kids (simultaneously, in my situation) to college without robbing their retirement? It no longer makes sense, no matter how much you earn or how much you have saved! My kids are average students (mostly A's & B's...with an occasional C sneaking in here and there)...but I still demand that they get an education...(I guess REALITY demands it, not me). Can anyone suggest schools for me to look into, that are reasonably priced, and will accept B students? We live in Franklin, and I was astonished to see that our local college...Dean...is nearly $30K/year. That's absurd, for a middling jr. college, in my opinion! Your advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Your 10th grader will be taking the MCAS tests this spring. If he or she scores Advanced on both the English and Math and is in the top 25% of the class - they qualify for the Adams scholarship (free tuition at any Massachusetts state college). Of course, you still have to pay fees, room + board. There are a number of good deals at several out of state public colleges, too - based on SAT and ACT scores.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
On the other side... financial aid is need based...

If you can hide your income (not show up on W2) and assets, you're golden... Self employ cash business is best...

Here's Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority (MEFA) website. Lots of good info..
MEFA HOME PAGE

Btw... I heard tuition is less than FEEs at UMass... Hence, free tuition means you still have to pay more than half of the cost. Crazy!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
As someone who works in academia, I can tell you that the best bang for your high ed buck in the state is UMass-Amherst. There is a bias among many in MA toward private schools but the quality at these schools is HIGHLY variable. OTOH, UMass-Amherst is a major, quality public university with a good national reputation. You could lower your UMass cost a bit more by doing the first year at a local community college and then transferring to UMass-Amherst (though you must be careful about taking courses that will transfer and apply to the UMass degree.)

Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
having grown up in Mass it was cheaper for me and most of my friends to attend private colleges than attend state schools because of financial aid. Don't rule out a school because of the sticker price.

UMass has gotten a lot better since I was in high school and was considered a saftey school at best.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
I agree with ProfessorSenator: UMass/Amherst is the way to go. It's also true, however, that many students do receive significant tuition aid at private schools. But it's more difficult to get into private schools, so unless your kids pull their grades up to mostly As, you should be targeting UMass/Amherst. It's certainly better than Dean College. This private college thing is very much a New England phenomenon. The truth is that many public universities are as good as or better than many of these small, expensive private colleges. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Don't overlook public colleges and universities in other states, though. There are many deals out there at public schools that are ranked much higher than UMASS.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
UNC Chapel Hill consistently ranks #1 for best bang for the buck--both in and out of state.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
having grown up in Mass it was cheaper for me and most of my friends to attend private colleges than attend state schools because of financial aid. Don't rule out a school because of the sticker price.

UMass has gotten a lot better since I was in high school and was considered a saftey school at best.
Agreed. Don't rule out private schools because they appear to cost $10,000 - $20,000 more. Many of these schools will give grants to students. I went to a private school in MA roughly 5-9 years and the sticker said $25K, but the real cost was around $10-$13k per year after grants. I was a similar student in terms of grades to your kids.

Some out of state public schools will cost less than the in-state tuition in MA...so that is something else to consider. Schools in the southeast are very reasonably priced and offer a solid education also. Plus, they may get a different experience then staying around home.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM

194 posts, read 408,115 times
We just went through the college shopping over the the last 6 months with my son & he ended up applying to 3 public & 3 private schools. He is looking to go into engineering & my wife & I (as well as my son) were very impressed with the programs at Umass-Lowell. The price is right & he qualifys for the Adams scholarship mentioned above. He still has not made up his mind & we can afford to send him to the private schools if that is where he wants to go, but would have no problem at all sending him to Umass-Lowell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts