Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think the original point wasn't that this family isn't well off, just that they wouldn't be significantly better off than their neighbors if they lived in Weston.
One man's pauper is another man's prince. It's all relative and I think you've hit the nail on the head with your explanation. This discussion is an entirely different thread though.

$1M is going to take you furthest in Natick, significantly less far in Needham, and even significantly less further in Wellesley or most of Newton. I guess it really depends on what size/age house you're looking for and which school system appeals to you most. Most of the pundits would tell you that Newton/Wellesley probably have the top school systems on our short list. Needham is a little step down from that and Natick is a step down from Needham. However, public school systems in general in this state tend to be far better than in many other parts of the country. So, even a school system not at the tip top of the "rankings" still gives a high quality education.

Do you have any house hunting trips planned in the future to see the area in person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:16 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ah its well above that. You are a top 20% earning family in the state easily if you can afford that, or get a mortgage for it. That is by definition upper class.
True but in most respects it isn't a cash payment but a 30 year mortgage. Banks practically gave away houses years ago, it didn't matter what the price was..now credit matters.

Just keep in mind the traffic. Lexington is nice but frankly the Rt 2 traffic I think can easily ruin the center. When I have to go inside to a coffee shop not to buy coffee but to get away from road sounds to make a phonecall is when I knew the design was bad. It isn't the towns fault but a lack of coordinating with the state on roads.

You could try Hingham and just take the boat into Boston.

Lexington, Concord Carlie, Dedham, Westwood, Sudbury, Weston, Newton and I think one other school district constantly competes with each other. In many cases houses here can be said to be an investment to send their kids and kids kids to Harvard since they are feeder schools for Harvard.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:30 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Just keep in mind the traffic. Lexington is nice but frankly the Rt 2 traffic I think can easily ruin the center. When I have to go inside to a coffee shop not to buy coffee but to get away from road sounds to make a phonecall is when I knew the design was bad. It isn't the towns fault but a lack of coordinating with the state on roads.

You could try Hingham and just take the boat into Boston.
Hingham isn't going to work for the OP with their Framingham commute.

Lexington center isn't very close at all to Route 2. Not sure how traffic from there would impact the town center.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Lexington center isn't very close at all to Route 2. Not sure how traffic from there would impact the town center.
There is a ton of traffic in Lexington center though. It gets pretty snarled on the weekends especially.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
I second Newton and Brookline.

Natick, Needham, Winchester, Wayland, Hingham, etc. are all significantly more removed from the city than Newton and Brookline. Nice towns but very suburban and the shopping center between Natick and Framingham is a large collection of suburban malls.

And has anyone mentioned Milton? I'm not too sure but my gut is suggesting that we throw that town into the mix too?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:39 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I second Newton and Brookline.

Natick, Needham, Winchester, Wayland, Hingham, etc. are all significantly more removed from the city than Newton and Brookline. Nice towns but very suburban and the shopping center between Natick and Framingham is a large collection of suburban malls.

And has anyone mentioned Milton? I'm not too sure but my gut is suggesting that we throw that town into the mix too?

OP has Framingham commute. Milton is probably too far away to be a decent commute.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:00 PM

425 posts, read 647,314 times
OP, I live in Burlingame now, grew up in Arlington and used to deliver takeout all over Framingham back in the 90s so I know both areas. You are best served either Wellesley or Newton and try to get a place near the I90 to make your commute manageable. Forget Lexington, Arlington, Winchester or any other town that is closer off the 2...they are simply not as convenient as the other towns I listed.

OP is coming from the RIDICULOUS real estate costs of the Peninsula where $1M gets you 1000sq ft...so anything in Newton or Wellesley for $1M will be slightly bigger/better than what they likely have now. Los Altos is a burb with decent density so I would cross off towns like Weston, Sudbury or Dover despite being great towns. It's sad but true $1M in Los Altos gets you nothing special.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:17 PM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
I'd agree with posters suggesting Newton and Natick, with the further distinction that Newton is more like the Bay Area in terms of housing density and community vibe/priorities (inclusive, intellectual, eco-conscious, into healthy eating and lifestyle with Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, farmers' markets, lots of public parks etc), while parts of Natick would be slightly closer in development (newer homes and shopping centers, wider roads, more parking lots). I mean neither is physically like California at all, but Newton especially has lots of tiny twisty New England streets and small, old shopping areas. Although there are sections of Auburndale that have the neighborhood feel of Palo Alto.

If you say you'd sacrifice space for proximity to the city, then Newton definitely has the upper hand. For an idea of what goes on in the community, check out the Hulafrog Newton and Newton Community Pride websites.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM

187 posts, read 217,368 times
If I were you, and based on your wants, I would look at Newton, and Lexington, Brookline, Arlington...city-vibe, good schools, and near Boston!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody99 View Post
If I were you, and based on your wants, I would look at Newton, and Lexington, Brookline, Arlington...city-vibe, good schools, and near Boston!
Lexington and Arlington are nice, but the commute to Framingham would be way more than 20 minutes. There are definitely other towns that are just as nice that are better commutes for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts