Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 AM

816 posts, read 994,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
that's what New England really has going for it, the people.
Not trying to knock you, and I'm glad you find the above statement to be true, but in my (and my wife's) experience, that is not the case. The people are one of the reason's why we want to leave. (We were both born and raised here). New Englanders are not known for being friendly and out going. Although that's not the case for all of us (including my wife and I), but we both (especially my wife) go out of our way to be friendly and reach out to other parents with kids our daughter's age at playgrounds, daycare, festivals, etc and we literally get the cold shoulder (one example was actually yesterday when we went for a walk in Wompatauck state park, my one year old just started learning to wave to other kids, and we would think its cute and smile at the other parents, but in return, all we get is a pissy look and them telling their kids to keep walking and catch up. I was floored)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Not trying to knock you, and I'm glad you find the above statement to be true, but in my (and my wife's) experience, that is not the case. The people are one of the reason's why we want to leave. (We were both born and raised here). New Englanders are not known for being friendly and out going. Although that's not the case for all of us (including my wife and I), but we both (especially my wife) go out of our way to be friendly and reach out to other parents with kids our daughter's age at playgrounds, daycare, festivals, etc and we literally get the cold shoulder (one example was actually yesterday when we went for a walk in Wompatauck state park, my one year old just started learning to wave to other kids, and we would think its cute and smile at the other parents, but in return, all we get is a pissy look and them telling their kids to keep walking and catch up. I was floored)

Each to their own. Outside of Wisconsin (the upper midwest is just great for people), I find New England to be the best for people outside of any place else I've lived. The people are real, unlike what I've run into in many places such as Kentucky and California. "Friendly" and out going are great, if its sincere. Lots of fake nice abound and I find it gross. People in the upper midwest are a least sincere about their niceness.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:47 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Why not? It's one of the best parts of the country.
You're not trying to raise a family here. If someone has the money and a reason to come here (job, family etc) then it makes sense. On the other hand if you can work from home and have no compelling reason to live here, it's a reasonable question to wonder why someone would consciously choose to move here. Someone moving here from the south will lose significant purchasing
power unless they're getting a large enough raise.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You're not trying to raise a family here. If someone has the money and a reason to come here (job, family etc) then it makes sense. On the other hand if you can work from home and have no compelling reason to live here, it's a reasonable question to wonder why someone would consciously choose to move here. Someone moving here from the south will lose significant purchasing
power unless they're getting a large enough raise.

My parents raised a family here. My brother/SIL are raising a family here. My friends and other family are all raising families here.

Many of these people lived in other places, and like my brother, other countries, and came back here to raise families. Less so because of other family being nearby, but because of quality of life and community issues which New England excels at.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
My parents raised a family here. My brother/SIL are raising a family here. My friends and other family are all raising families here.

Many of these people lived in other places, and like my brother, other countries, and came back here to raise families. Less so because of other family being nearby, but because of quality of life and community issues which New England excels at.
Again, if you have the means this can be a great place to live. I'm glad it's working out for your relatives.

I still wouldn't advise someone to just pick up and relocate here unless they had a good reason and/or deep enough pockets. "Community" and "quality of life" (which means something different to everyone) can be found in plenty of places outside New England.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 AM

816 posts, read 994,603 times
Quote:
"Community" and "quality of life" (which means something different to everyone) can be found in plenty of places outside New England.
Hit the nail on the head

Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Hit the nail on the head

Except for the specious argument that quality of life can mean anything. Yeah, some people might have different priorities, but quality of life indexes exist for a reason and are really accurate for a reason: people generally agree on the criteria.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:48 AM

187 posts, read 217,333 times
Quote:
I guess so, the benefits outweigh the negatives. The heat isn't bad (I lived in the South, it's a living hell). The communities and people are great; superbly educated professionals. Great culture/arts/music/festivals. Nice population density, decent public transit compared to almost any city its size (outside of DC), wonderful four seasons with all the benefits of them; skiing, snowshoeing, etc were excellent this year! And 100" isn't the norm, of course. Saturday had a BBQ event in Lexington with VT beers (heady, lawson's etc), followed by Porchfest in Somerville, followed by a great show in the Innovation District at a loft/arts space... it doesn't get any better, 11am - 2am... great culture and party all day / night. Few places can top that.

Can't think of much better places, honestly. Though I would move back to Madison, or possibly Chicago. SF was way more expensive and the people were ugh (that's what New England really has going for it, the people). Kentucky, Texas, etc are all off the table due to culture/climate (even in places that are decent like Athens, Austin, Nashville).
Hey-I was at the Lexington BBQ festival with my husband, and friends on Sunday! Great beer and music-expensive food-but to be expected at festivals!

Old 05-18-2015, 12:05 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:

I still wouldn't advise someone to just pick up and relocate here unless they had a good reason and/or deep enough pockets. "Community" and "quality of life" (which means something different to everyone) can be found in plenty of places outside New England.
This is true.

New England is scenic, it's near the ocean and the food is generally good. Other than those things there are so many negatives about this area...

Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
yes i'm in this area because i was born here and my family is here. I don't see myself moving and there have been times i wanted to...but jobs, family and friends have kept me here. I would maybe retire somewhere else depending on my life then. I also am not sure why someone living in TX would want to move to this area. There are so many other places I'd try before here based on what i know. Many cities in CA, Seattle, Portland, Charleston, SC, why not Austin since you're in the area? You will pay a lot for your cost of living here and yes winters are bad. Even if you have a lot of money you will still wonder why you pay so much for rent/mortgage based on what you get. The cold basically comes in October and doesn't end until April. Of course there are positives about this area, most areas have positives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts