Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times

Advertisements

OK, folks:

If we were to move to Arlington (my first choice), and sought a house for us very active older (empty nester) adults:

A basement that has heat (so husband can do his workshop thing)
A large, eat in kitchen or a kitchen with a good large dining area
Two good sized bedrooms, one big enough for a king bed and dressers, three bedrooms great
Some kind of enclosed porch for our many cats
A level, usable, if small, back yard
Not a total handyman special

What is the minimum that are we going to pay? No condos, a detached house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 11:54 AM

735 posts, read 3,502,199 times
...just did a basic search Martha- There is one listing at $334K. Then the rest quickly jump to $400K. But even those homes could use some work- mostly updating. Looks like one of them meets you requirements. Most are build around 1930. There are only 4-5 that might work- the rest are $485+

Not sure of your budget, but Arlington seems to have limited options before escalating upwards of $500K.

Good luck with your search-

Old 01-20-2008, 04:58 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
...just did a basic search Martha- There is one listing at $334K. Then the rest quickly jump to $400K. But even those homes could use some work- mostly updating. Looks like one of them meets you requirements. Most are build around 1930. There are only 4-5 that might work- the rest are $485+

Not sure of your budget, but Arlington seems to have limited options before escalating upwards of $500K.

Good luck with your search-
Thank you, NY'er,

I have actually looked at Arlington homes via the Net, but hoped maybe somebody who actually owns a home there might pop up and have something to say about the current market. We want to move to Arlington-Bedford-Watertown, etc. (Arlington and Watertown are first choice - I lived in metro Boston one time, my parents are natives, etc.) but I would like to avoid going over, say, $475,000. Here is my reason: Even with a good house, there are always things that cost money that you need to do to adapt it, so to speak, to your life's particular needs.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
I live in Arlington and love it. The minimum you will pay for a house of your description depends on the neighborhood. There are many nice areas in Arlington. We live in the Brackett School area and houses rarely come available because the elementary school (Brackett) is top-notch. But just across Park Ave. from our neighborhood, the Dallin School area is also very nice and small, well-kept houses do become available from time to time, so look there. Anything near Arlington Center would also be a good choice. In either of these neighborhoods, you ought to be able to find a house for under $500,000, in decent shape. Any streets, in particular, you are currently looking at?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:29 AM

735 posts, read 3,502,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Thank you, NY'er,

I have actually looked at Arlington homes via the Net, but hoped maybe somebody who actually owns a home there might pop up and have something to say about the current market. We want to move to Arlington-Bedford-Watertown, etc. (Arlington and Watertown are first choice - I lived in metro Boston one time, my parents are natives, etc.) but I would like to avoid going over, say, $475,000. Here is my reason: Even with a good house, there are always things that cost money that you need to do to adapt it, so to speak, to your life's particular needs.
the current market is the current market....

Arlington has a very good reputation, so if homes are priced at market value, they do go quickly. You should be fine in the $400-$450K range, but given the demand and lack of listings, it seems you would have to act fast if you see a home that fits the bill.

Good luck again-

Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I just want to second NY'ers comment that a well-priced home, especially in Arlington, moves fast. Looking on MLS, a home came on the market for 315K 11/26/2007, and is already under agreement. This is the same market that people are complaining that they're not even getting showings.

Looking at your criteria, I would think you should be able to find something well within your price range. There are 3 homes under 400K in Arlington right now, then 2 or 3 just above (under 410K) then the price jumps up to 479K and above...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts