Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 AM

317 posts, read 431,362 times

Advertisements

Money is definitely an object.

I'd like to save as much as possible while still having a quality roof installed that won't leak. I've considered the following points:

- Looking for a roofer who is small enough that may let me do most or all of the shingle tear off to lower the price of installation, and/or let me help out for the rest of the job to reduce the cost.

- Does Mass Save offer any financing options if your roof is somehow 'energy efficient' or anything?

- I've considered solar - solar panels and solar shingles - and wonder if any companies offer a discount or any advantage to installing solar at the same time as a new roof. Besides solar shingles, which are expensive and I'm not sure I'm going that route, I can't think of anything else but want to be sure.

- Lastly, roofing quotes seem to vary quite a bit, so a simple recommendation of a quality roofer or roofing company who is low cost could go a long way.

- Any other ways to save on a roof, or things to consider or take advantage of when replacing a roof? I'm a first time home owner, this is our first home, and a new roof is the first priority.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 04:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Where are you located?

Most roofers work in a pretty limited geographic area.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM

649 posts, read 816,721 times
We used Ranch Roofing, in Arlington I think. We got them from Angies List and had a good experience. We had a Foursquare with two additions and two full width porches and they did a tearoff of three layers and 30 year dimensional shingle for like $7500 but that was about 7 years ago. It was a little more than half what I had budgeted so I thought it was a good deal.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:46 AM

248 posts, read 342,954 times
Ranch here too, last summer. It was a BIG job. Quite large, 1.5 story, long and low house, so lots of roof. All kinds of roof pitches and weird valleys too. Strip two layers and replace some plywood. Replaced shingles with rubber on a 2 pitch section. Ice and water shield under all of the 4 pitch sections, not just the bottom. Replaced seven, 30 year old, leaking skylights. They also brought in carpenters to replace a broken, patched together, 24 foot beam in the room over the garage with an LVL and built a purlin wall while the roof was off.

It was not cheap, of course, but they did a fine job, communicated well and brought in enough guys to get the entire job done in two days, so we weren't without a roof for any length of time . I did shop around some and their price was not at all out of line, just expensive because the size of the job. I was afraid of going with anyone smaller, as there was too much work to risk a company without the resources to be efficient about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts