Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,134 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved to Boston from Cincinnati a month ago. We are temporarily living in an apartment in Westwood (near University Station). We have two kids (6 and 2). We will live there for at least a year while we look for a new town to close home (that would be a separate post ).
I work downtown and my wife works in Westwood. Our 6 year old was in several after-school activities (basketball, tennis and swimming).

I'm looking for programs where I can take my 6 yr old to after-school classes, and even now, for the rest of the summer before school starts.

Any suggestions of places that offer these type of programs?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Check out New England Sports Academy up the street on University near the light where Canton Street intersects. You might also want to look into that new "lifetime" health complex that just opened up near you. They probably have tennis courts and a pool.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,134 times
Thanks MikePRU. My wife actually works at Lifetime so we are definitely exploring options there. I will look into NESA. I saw their website and it looks similar to a facility we used to take my 6 year old in Cincinnati.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Welcome to Westwood. I'm not that knowledgeable about programs for children as our daughter is only 16 months old and still in day care, but here are some ideas:

The town has a some programs through the recreation department. The town pool is open for swimming (for a fee), but if you have access to Lifetime that will be a better choice. Considering where you are in Westwood (which is pretty far removed from the bulk of the town, same as me), the towns of Canton and Norwood will be just as close if not closer. I think Canton offers non-residents access to programs, so that might be worth looking into if you don't like the Westwood options; I'm not sure about Norwood.

The Hale Reservation runs camps through the summer. You are probably too late for this year. They also have a membership beach.

If you're interested in ice sports, the Boch Ice Center is right across Rt. 128 in Dedham. They offer programs for kids, although I'm not sure if it's after school, but with in-laws from Minnesota I have been made aware that these programs are available.

Let me know if you find some good options. I will be looking in a few years!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:25 PM

11 posts, read 20,099 times
If you have sons, the boys gymnastics program at NESA is phenomenal. The girls program is good as well but Levon, the boys coach, is worth his weight in gold. My son was on the boys team there for quite a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: