Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 04:48 PM

63 posts, read 105,955 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone who answered my question about walkable town centers in the suburbs around Boston. While that helped to create my short list for living areas to check out when we visit, I would feel remiss if I didn't at least explore the options outside the 95 loop, as well. So, while I won't be so insistent on a bustling downtown area, I'd still like to have some good public transportation options for my husband, who will need to get to South Station on a daily basis. Which towns sit on public transit lines that far out? I read somewhere that Lincoln has a rail line in town, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 PM

10,034 posts, read 15,690,342 times
There are quite a few towns. Here's the map of the rail lines showing which trains go to South Station:

MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

Old 07-28-2015, 06:59 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,418,093 times
Note that trains from Lincoln go to North Station.

Also, commuting by train is (relatively) fast and comfortable, but it costs a lot compared with riding the subway, and the frequency of service may make it inconvenient.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,823,059 times
After clicking on CaseyB's link, click on the tab that says "Interactive Street Map" to see all the stations relative to each other on a scaled map. All the lines terminating from Worcester down to Scituate (South of Boston) go to South Station.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,933,984 times
Commuter rail mostly serves towns between 95 (128) and 495. Inside 95, except to the north, most of the service is subway, trolley, and bus.

The downside of the commuter rail is low frequency and cost, the upside is speed. I can go from Rt. 128 to South Station in as little as 20 minutes.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:27 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,187,115 times
There are also commuter bus options - Concord Coach from Boxford, Georgetown, Groveland, Haverhill, Newburyport, Peabody, and Topsfield; C&J from Newburyport and New Hampshire; Merrimack Valley RTA from Methuen, Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover; Boston Express from Tyngsboro and New Hampshire; Yankee Line from Acton and Concord; Plymouth & Brockton from Plymouth, Kingston, Duxbury, Marshfield, and Rockland; Bloom from Easton, Raynham, Taunton, and West Bridgewater; Dattco from New Bedford, Fairhaven, Dartmouth, and Taunton; Peter Pan from Sturbridge, Worcester, Framingham, Fall River, and Providence; probably others I'm missing.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,823,059 times
Interesting that all these bus lines overlap with existing commuter rail service, except for ones originating in NH and Fall River. I hope they at least go to a different part of Boston, e.g. the bus lines North of Boston should go to the financial district and Back Bay, while the bus lines west and south of Boston should go to North Station and Cambridge.

Also, why is there no bus line in communities that aren't served by a train station such as Marlborough/Hudson/Sudbury, Westford/Chemlsford, or Milford/Holliston?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:15 PM

You all are awesome, thank you so much! I'll spend some time looking into all these options.

And again, I'm used to absurdly expensive rail service. Caltrain is our transit of choice around here and it costs a ton. Not ideal, but if it means we don't have to buy a second car (we like being a one-car family) or have my husband spend half of his life in (much more dangerous) traffic, we'll take it.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Note that trains from Lincoln go to North Station.
Noted, but am I reading correctly that you can transfer from the commuter rail to the subway (Red Line) at Porter Square? Not that transferring is easy, but I just wanted to check.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:56 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,933,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhereUSA View Post
Noted, but am I reading correctly that you can transfer from the commuter rail to the subway (Red Line) at Porter Square? Not that transferring is easy, but I just wanted to check.
Avoid transfers if you can. I say this as someone who couldn't really avoid transfers--they're frustrating. Going directly to South Station will save you lots of time over going to North Station and walking or going to Porter and transferring.

There are plenty of great cities and towns that have commuter rail service to South Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts