Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:45 AM

26 posts, read 40,383 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to Danvers soon for a job opportunity with a toddler. I was looking for a single family home under 500K and found some new builds in Billerica (not sure about the area, and a long commute). Also found a few houses in Peabody and Woburn (3 bed, 2000 sq ft <20yrs old).

Recently I did visit the burlington area with the new wegmans and close by mall, I liked that area and the nearby Bedford / Lexington area. But I found mostly townhomes/condos in these areas and not many homes. I am ok for a townhome/condo, if I really cant find a single family in my range+area.

Is it that there are not many houses on the market in this price range, or is the price range too low for these areas, or am I just looking in the wrong areas.

Can anyone suggest any safe family friendly areas, we are planning to stay here 5-10yrs. School district is not that important to us as we are looking into montessori schools (so we can live in a lesser school district for a home thats budget friendly).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 01:00 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
I am assuming by your post you are a single parent with a small child that will be in daycare. To keep your life simple with the shortest commute possible, I would focus your search on the more noth-bound suburban towns closer to Danvers such as Beverly, Lynnfield, Reading, Marblehead and Danvers itself.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:04 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
You won't find much new construction in the north of Boston region for under $500K. Living in Danvers itself would be a good choice for you. If you want a little more rural community, you might look at Georgetown or Ipswich.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks, 495neighbor and gf2020 for the recommendations. I will look into Beverly, Lynnfield, Reading and Marblehead. I am looking for more of a modern town and not so rural. Thats why I liked the new feel of the wegmans, the mall and that area in Burlington. I have only visited Burlington, Bedford, Lexington and Danvers yet.

I will go out and visit the towns of Beverly, Lynnfield, Reading and Marbleheadand take a walk-through, will also take a look at houses in the area online.

I am also looking into the schools, the few montessoris in Beverly and the waldorf one there too. So would be nice to stay closer to the school and work.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:47 PM

560 posts, read 751,435 times
if you truly dont care about schools and just want bang for buck while being safe, look at Saugus (west of Rt 1 and north of the mall tends to have the newer construction). low tax rate, easy commute to Danvers, and not a bad trip into Boston for infrequent visits.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
if you truly dont care about schools and just want bang for buck while being safe, look at Saugus (west of Rt 1 and north of the mall tends to have the newer construction). low tax rate, easy commute to Danvers, and not a bad trip into Boston for infrequent visits.
Mr Shizim makes a good suggestion about a town few talk about!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:40 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
I think Beverly has better bang-for-the-buck, i.e., potential for long term asset growth with a relatively low buy in (for the area).

Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo2012 View Post
I will look into Beverly, Lynnfield, Reading and Marblehead. I am looking for more of a modern town and not so rural..

Looks like you and I are probably going to the same open houses.

The inventory for what you (and I) have been looking for has sort of slowed down a bit. Beginning of the summer there was a lot to pick and choose from but for the most part those houses have been scooped up leaving the ones that are overpriced or need a lot of updating. I know that the MLS listings I get from the realtor have slowed up considerably since labor day vs the July/Aug timeframe.

Just my observations. (my search also includes only homes with garages)

Lynnfield. Anything under $500K will be small or in need of a lot of updating. Reading is about the same. Both those towns don't have much on the market under $500K
Peabody seems to have the most inventory. I've concentrated my search mostly in the West Peabody area. Homes pop up more often under $500K, but for the most part they haven't been updated much. That's to be expected since a lot of houses are still occupied by the original owners who bought them in the 50's and 60's. Wallpaper everywhere.

Beverly seems to have good bang for the buck. Have seen quite a bit of updated homes for sale here. I've put this down low on my list of preferred towns to buy in strictly based on my commute. (I work in Bedford/Billerica). It's a pretty good buy in and has potential for growth.

I wanted to explore Burlington/Bedford a bit but my G/F won't commute that far. Wilmington was a another decent option. I saw quite a few homes under $500 meting our criteria there. It's just a longer commute for my G/F (who works in Beverly). I don't mind that area, and Wilmington has a few really nice parts. In fact, most of the new builds I've seen have been SFH's in the Bedford/Burlington/Wilmington area.

Good luck in your search. I'm giving myself another month or so and then going to look for a short term rental for the winter.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:24 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo2012 View Post
Thanks, 495neighbor and gf2020 for the recommendations. I will look into Beverly, Lynnfield, Reading and Marblehead. I am looking for more of a modern town and not so rural. Thats why I liked the new feel of the wegmans, the mall and that area in Burlington. I have only visited Burlington, Bedford, Lexington and Danvers yet.

I will go out and visit the towns of Beverly, Lynnfield, Reading and Marbleheadand take a walk-through, will also take a look at houses in the area online.

I am also looking into the schools, the few montessoris in Beverly and the waldorf one there too. So would be nice to stay closer to the school and work.
If Danvers is too antique and low density for you, I don't think you will like Lynnfield, Reading, Marblehead or Wilmington any better.

I would concentrate your search on Beverly and also add Salem to the mix, especially since your child will be attending private schools. These are better towns with more going on for children and single parents. Salem has many beautiful homes and updated townhomes and condominiums in your range. And better yet the best commutes to Danvers of the towns mentioned.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

It seems like if I increase my budget to 550K-650K there are more choices, not sure if I can afford it. I will be able to put 20% down. My salary will be $150K before taxes, I have been trying to find out what the state taxes are and if I can find a reliable online calculator which can estimate what my monthly paycheck will be. And yes, mine will be a single salary.

I havent put Salem on my list, I will take a look at that. Saw some negative comments here, but will go see the place for myself and check online listings.

@BostonMike7, I did see lots of new builds in Billerica below 500K on zillow. Yes, you are right about Peabody, lots of inventory but most of houses are dated. Was thinking of buying...then doing a serious renovation..lets see, still early in my search.

I did like the areas of Beverly or Saugus, will do some more online searching, before I head out for a visit. I still need to look into townhomes, condos in these areas, will try to do that today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts