Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 03:30 PM

23,670 posts, read 18,782,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It says a lot about a lot of things: The weather, first and foremost, but it also says quite a bit about the cost of labor, which itself is to a great extent a reflection of how livable Massachusetts is. Also, the amount of traffic itself is problematic, as Massachusetts is practically the only gateway to your own state, so practically every truck bringing goods to where you live has to pass through here.
As far as labor costs you can thank the "Pacheco" law. It needs to be repealed, but there is no political will to do so. Weather is not an excuse. Even most cold weather states have infrastructure that blows MA away.

Quote:
In my experience, there is typically as much of an acceleration lane as is there space available for same.
Not in mine.

Quote:
Yet, that's not what you said, and the governor still plays a major role in this despite your refusal to acknowledge that.
I just did acknowledge that our past governors could have done much better. The legislature still has a much greater influence on finances and how business gets conducted (especially if they hold a veto-proof majority as they did under Romney), and I'm not getting into a ridiculous p-ing contest with you.

Quote:
Comparing MA to GA, it seems that they have accomplished a great deal, again, despite your refusal to acknowledge that.
How so, and what have I refused to acknowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think the answer is not related to any political party but to some ingrown corruption that is almost impossible to be rid of. It will be interesting to see what others have to say but all I can think of is the corruption.
But you see it is. With the power and numbers the Dems hold, where else can you really place the blame?

Old 11-30-2015, 03:41 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But you see it is. With the power and numbers the Dems hold, where else can you really place the blame?
We all know that there are other factors at work besides political parties. I do think each party has its own favors owed, of course.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We all know that there are other factors at work besides political parties. I do think each party has its own favors owed, of course.
Agree, but a 2 party system keeps things more in check. And not saying there aren't any, but I can't think of any instances of corruption with any MA Republicans in recent history. I actually thing the MA GOP is relatively squeaky clean. Since they are held to a much higher standard than the Dems (much of it due to their minority status), they really have to be.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:03 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I recently have been traveling more through Massachusetts and on the Mass Pike (I-90). As best as I can tell the highway has not really been expanded or improved in the 56 years it existed. Sure it has been repaved and the bridges fixed but with all the money the turnpike has collected there has not been much capacity added to the road. The ramps I have been on are completely inadequate and not designed to modern standards. The pavement of them are pretty bad too. Why aren't more people outraged at this?

There was a time when Massachusetts roads were the best in the country. I can't say that now. Other roads are a mess too. I-495 and I-95/128 are disasters. There is a horrible dip in I-91 in Greenfield that should have been fixed years ago. Cars can lose control there. I-91 in Springfield looks ready to collapse (I know they are about to start construction) and the Longmeadow curve lane drop is ridiculous already.

Is this because the state poured all of its resources into the Central Artery? Thoughts and information would be helpful. Jay
84 in CT is even worse! They are spending half a billion dollars to expand the road to 3 lanes for about 10 miles in Waterbury.

Maybe that has something to do with it

Old 11-30-2015, 04:09 PM

14,035 posts, read 15,055,272 times
Whats wrong with the Mass Pike? yes there is traffic but Massachusetts is also the third densest state in the Union so what do you expect? its in pretty good physical shape.
Yes it backs up within 128 and between 290 and 84 when its an East/West and North/South artery but that's to be expected when there are so many people around.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,454,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I meant the legislature, who as we know are who really calls all the shots...

But saying that, none of those governors (with maybe the exception of Weld and Baker yet to be seen really) were anything to write home about either. But had there been a more balanced House and Senate, they all would have accomplished a lot more no question.
Yeah, because this is working out so well at the federal level. It's funny that you hear the exact opposite excuses there. It's all the president's fault and Congress has no power, right?

Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Yeah, because this is working out so well at the federal level. It's funny that you hear the exact opposite excuses there. It's all the president's fault and Congress has no power, right?
Congress has LOTS of power. The president's office carries a lot more power than the governor of Massachusetts, and to top it off neither party holds a super majority in either chamber. The problem Washington faces is the exact opposite from what Beacon has, gridlock vs. one party ramming through whatever they want without repercussions. You cannot compare state and federal politics, the situation in Mass and the situation with the feds really is an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,844,596 times
After its opening in 1957 Turnpike was extended from Weston into Boston about 1965 and widened to three lanes in each direction between the 128 interchange and Sturbridge exit about 1969. So, much improvement up to a point in time now long ago. Conn Turnpike (95 from Nys to New Haven) has also remained at 3 lanes although conn also has the parallel Merritt and Wilbur Cross parkways.
Turnpike run by an authority for most of its history which enjoyed many fat years of toll revenues until saddled with the Big Dig. Now turnpike authority dissolved and toll revenue distributed to other roads.
I'd say the big difference is the gas tax. Conn may be highest in the nation. Mass is in the middle somewhere. It got a small increase recently but not enough to cover the cost. There's quite a backlog of work which has been accumulating since the 70s. So many rusty bridges, many of them with wood slats underneath to keep concrete chunks from falling down onto the roadway underneath. At least the deck in Springfield is being rebuilt. Would be great to bury it but probably not enough money or clout in W Mass (although I'd say the state correctly prioritized the CAT project).

Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 PM

404 posts, read 527,456 times
It's cute that ppl think MA can manage & update a modern highway system when in reality our inept leaders can't even run a simple bidding process to lay 4.5 miles of light rail track. This article makes my hair curl:

How the Green Line extension got so expensive - Business news - Boston.com

As long as 1.) Prevailing wage laws remain intact & 2.) Theres no privatization of public works project profit & risk, there's no impetus for change from "business as usual"....pols fill the coffers with special interest money. Privatization is the only way to fix the infrastructure problem
It's grown too complex and corrupt for state pols to manage (despite their STELLAR track record).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts