Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:13 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Penny might have blocked you during your shouting match with her a few months ago, so she won't see your comments unless I quote them
Why do you feel the need to facilitate the conversation? I haven't blocked anyone. I just don't feel the need to reply to certain posts that I don't find all that compelling. Anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsox15 View Post
The original plans called for a 15-story steel construction building that would have been unique and a real centerpiece to what they're trying to do. That has been scaled down to 6-story wood construction buildings that are really nothing special. Quincy is at an interesting place. The restaurant scene is actually more vibrant than it has ever been. Retail outside of food and restaurants is basically non-existent in QC. They're going to need a major commercial tenant for this to work. There's been talk of bio-tech but the competition for that is fierce and I would guess Assembly Square in Somerville would have a better shot at that kind of stuff. They will also face competition from Southfield in Weymouth if that ever gets its act together. There's been speculation Quincy could be the next "hot thing" but I would put that as far from certain right now. It will be interesting to watch.
Also note that the center of Quincy is just one of many neighborhoods in this city of many neighborhoods. There is also North Quincy Center, with quite a bit of food scene and lots of construction. There is also Wollaston center and it has its own set of things going on. So, frankly, for many of us who live in Quincy, what happens in the center is not all that important as what's going on in the smaller centers.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:28 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,568 times
Others have already given you the basic oversight. From my view: There's a lot of construction going on, particularly what I take to be luxury-type condos. Yes, the restaurant scene is booming. You can't beat its proximity to Boston and public transportation. I wonder, though, if when all is said and done, it can be sustained. Personally I think the lack of retail anchors will be a drawback, but who knows?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 PM

434 posts, read 510,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Quincy seems to be a place of relief for some young families who want to buy a home but don't feel like getting raped what it costs to live in some other places.
Ick. Please don't use "raped" like that.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:38 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Affordability has little to do with social problems, if that were the case then Quincy would have a higher share than Boston. All one has to do is visit South Boston to see how sky high prices do not keep the ills away. Like another poster said, the problem people are not lured by $250,000 homes or $700-$1200 market rate rentals. They follow the Section 8, subsidized, affordable, low income, etc. housing (as well as shelters). The only people who care about raising the property values are those looking to make a fast buck off their property, and I could care less about them because I feel they helped ruin the country. The past decade reminded us that housing is not a guaranteed investment, but a place to live it always will. Shame on those who still haven't learned that. Hopefully, Quincy will remain the "relatively" affordable alternative to Boston and over-hyped Cambridge, Somerville, etc. (if it's not too late already).

Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
How did they help ruin the country? It's not the 80 year old lady in somerville's fault that the house she paid 100k for is now worth 800k.

There's a lot of things wrong with this country and real estate is out of control in many areas but it's not the fault of the home owner for the rising costs

Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
How did they help ruin the country? It's not the 80 year old lady in somerville's fault that the house she paid 100k for is now worth 800k.

There's a lot of things wrong with this country and real estate is out of control in many areas but it's not the fault of the home owner for the rising costs
Didn't say that in the slightest bit. It's the fault of the dipwad making $35,000/yr who bought a 3 decker in Brockton for $150,000 expecting it to appreciate to $450,000 in a few years, meanwhile he took out an extra mortgage out to buy new 70" flat screens, a new boat and SUV. Now that he never saw that gain; he is underwater, can't make the payments, can't get rid of it, and the place goes into foreclosure dragging down the whole neighborhood and leaving the taxpayers on the hook for it. He is nothing but a thief, and should be thrown in jail along with whoever issued the mortgage. Sorry for the rant...

Old 12-07-2015, 08:14 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Oh ok. Well isn't it the banks fault too for giving him a loan?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Oh ok. Well isn't it the banks fault too for giving him a loan?
As I said, they should both go to jail.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Affordability has little to do with social problems, if that were the case then Quincy would have a higher share than Boston. All one has to do is visit South Boston to see how sky high prices do not keep the ills away. Like another poster said, the problem people are not lured by $250,000 homes or $700-$1200 market rate rentals. They follow the Section 8, subsidized, affordable, low income, etc. housing (as well as shelters). The only people who care about raising the property values are those looking to make a fast buck off their property, and I could care less about them because I feel they helped ruin the country. The past decade reminded us that housing is not a guaranteed investment, but a place to live it always will. Shame on those who still haven't learned that. Hopefully, Quincy will remain the "relatively" affordable alternative to Boston and over-hyped Cambridge, Somerville, etc. (if it's not too late already).
Absolutely disagree with you. I live in Quincy, invest in it, and plan to stay here for a long time. I see the improvement to the city as its value rises. Places that previously had many social problems, like the ones you mentioned, are being shut down to make way for more high end housing. This is a great thing as a homeowner here as well as someone whose quality of life will be impacted in a positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts