Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 116,228 times

Advertisements

We are considering Marblehead, but I will need to commute daily into Back Bay.

We know this isn't an easy commute, but is it manageable? What's the best option? Train to North Station then Orange line to Back Bay? Drive to Wonderland and blue line in to orange line? Or, is the commute going to be unbearable?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 AM

735 posts, read 3,502,199 times
I would try the rail to the orange line- on some days you may be able to drive if there is parking in the area (probably not).

Old 02-04-2008, 11:30 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
I've driven & taken the T. The T is a lot less stressful.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks - have heard that Wonderland is a bit of a dump - a) is this true, and if so, b) will my car get stolen or will I feel like I'm about to bet on the dogs every morning driving to work?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM

..also, for those of you that have lived / are living in Marblehead - any thoughts on old town with 2 young kids?

We were really impressed with the vibe, but not sure if it's realistic...

Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookliner1 View Post
Thanks - have heard that Wonderland is a bit of a dump - a) is this true, and if so, b) will my car get stolen or will I feel like I'm about to bet on the dogs every morning driving to work?
Wonderland is old but I've never had any problems parking on the station side or across the street at the dog track. I think parking was $4 or $5 the last time that I parked there.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
..also, for those of you that have lived / are living in Marblehead - any thoughts on old town with 2 young kids?

I grew up on lower Pleasant Street a couple houses up from St. Michael's Church. There were a lot of families with children & as a kid there was always something to see & do. When my brother & I sold our house in 2006 there were more families moving into the neighborhood with kids. Living in Marblehead was the best!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 55,015 times
Quote:

When are you planning to move? My wife and I (and our 2 year old and 3 month old) are moving there in May/June. Been looking from afar at Marblehead/Swampscott/Beverly. Would love to hear your thoughts on the place as you get settled.
Eyal

Last edited by eoren1; 02-05-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: text change

Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 AM

69 posts, read 292,329 times
Commute to Boston can be trying during certain hours, the beach road along Swampscott and Lynn backs up in the morning and evening. If you time it right, leave early or later then 9:00am its not too bad, can take 20-25 minutes to Wonderland, and another 20 minutes on the T to get to State, going to Back Bay you will have to change trains so will take longer. Commuter rail also leaves from Salem or Swampscott. I would figure on 45 minutes to 1 hour commute. There is bus service in Marblehead that goes to Hay Market. Wonderland is fine, safety wise, the lot there is large and filled with cars. Commuted for 4 years from Marblehead to Boston using Wonderland T and never had any problem with my car or otherwise.
As for living in Old Town, it is charming but alot of homes are built very close to each other, if not attached to each other, and land is not expansive there. You will not find many large back yards or front yards for that matter, though there are some, and if that matters to you and your children I would look elsewhere. Anything down there with land will cost alot, also many homes in that area were built in the early 1700-1800's and you will find homes with little closet space, small rooms and narrow doorways, low ceilings, and tilted due to settlement. People have bought these, renovated and transformed them into spaces that accomodate modern living and these can be beautiful but also costly to buy. You are probably looking at $550,000 and up to buy something in that area.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Hi Sue, thanks for the great reply - very helpful indeed. If you had to choose between the T or the commuter rail if I'm heading to Back Bay daily, what would you suggest? Seems like both will be roughly the same amount of time? Good to hear Wonderland is manageable and safe enough.

Regarding neighborhoods - these are great points. We don't want something too classic suburban, but we don't want to be in an attached-home, super cramped scenario either - any thoughts on neighborhoods in town / areas very close to old town but maybe not exactly old town if you know what I mean?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts