Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:35 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times

Advertisements

My wife pretty much banishes me and all my junk to the basement which is awesome in the summer, but in the winter it gets really cold. I have 3 rooms down here - my office, workshop, and attached garage. I finally got a space heater to keep my office nice and toasty. My workshop gets heat from the nearby furnace.

Now my last room to get heated is my 2-car non-insulated attached garage so I can continue to tinker during the winter. I only need heat for a few hours once a week and want to raise the temperature from 30 to about 50 degrees which is comfortable enough to work in. I'm trying to avoid running a 240V outlet for a commercial electric heater. I won't be using it enough to justify the expense. I just bought a Mr Buddy propane heater, but it says not suitable for indoor use. However, I see thousands of online reviews from people who use this unit in their RV/camper. They leave the tank outside and run the line through a window that's cracked open. Is that safe? What if I leave my propane tank outside, run a long line to the heater, and leave my garage door cracked open 1-2 feet? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:38 PM

434 posts, read 510,487 times
Following ... Our house is small, having the garage be useable space would be huge.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:49 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
I use a portable propane heater to heat my 802 sq.ft. garage when I work out there in the Winter. I use a 30# tank (I leave it in the garage but away from the heater) and just run the heater on low, put a 2x4 flat under the door and it works fine. Plenty of fresh air this way.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I just bought a Mr Buddy propane heater, but it says not suitable for indoor use. However, I see thousands of online reviews from people who use this unit in their RV/camper. They leave the tank outside and run the line through a window that's cracked open. Is that safe? What if I leave my propane tank outside, run a long line to the heater, and leave my garage door cracked open 1-2 feet? Thoughts?
Carbon Monoxide poisoning would be a concern for me. As another poster said, you can alleviate problem by introducing fresh air, but personally I would want to have a CO detector in the garage just in case as well.

They do make garage heaters that are made for such spaces which you could have installed. My parents have an electric one in their garage. They ran it when they first moved in but when the electric bill showed up they stopped using it. They also make ones that run on natural gas or if you have a boiler in your house for heat you can run another hot water zone to the garage heater.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
We recently bought two Mr. Heater portable heaters that are rated as OK for either indoor or outdoor use. There are different models, so check out the differences. The model we got, MH9BX, uses the small camping cylinders. Directions state that the heaters should not be left on overnight or otherwise left unattended for long periods. The unit does have a cutoff that kicks on when ambient oxygen levels are getting too low.

We got them in case of more power outages at the same time as a gas stove malfunction (has happened once). I also intend to use it for working in the garage. One was enough for the kitchen and living room, but I expect our unheated large garage will need both heaters.

I should note that this is in a milder climate (PNW). For our previous home's garage in CO at 7350' elevation, we installed a rafter-mounted radiant propane heater and kept it on low, directed towards a truck hood. Temp was kept at about 40-45 degrees, for the entire cold season, and when we needed it warmer for a project, we turned up the thermostat in there.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,238 times
I was going to try one of these:

Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,928 times
For safety reasons, I would stick to the 240 volt heater if you are only taking the edge off of the temperature. It is very inexpensive to install, no vent required. Newtone makes some good ones. Once (if you chose to) insulate your garage, then you can put some sort of heating system, but from what I read, that is not currently feasible.

Mr Buddy and any other kind of direct flame inside can be a real danger. Not only to you, but those inside the house.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I've used the propane heaters in the past and have gotten nasty headaches and discomfort from them. I've tried my best to vent them but in the end just suffered through being cold.

Is natural gas available? Can you run a line to the garage for a gas heater? Friend of mine has one in his 3-bay garage and it works awesome.

Short of that, i'd run the 240V electrical line. I'm going to add one to my garage when I insulate it in the next few weeks, but that's only because I was an electrician and can do it myself.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:25 AM

434 posts, read 510,487 times
About how much would it cost to run a 240 volt line? Our garage is not insulated, so I don't have any hopes of having it be truly warm, but I'd love to get all of our exercise equipment out of our unfinished basement and into the garage. And working out is hard enough, I'm sure as heck not doing it in a 20 degree garage.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
About how much would it cost to run a 240 volt line?
Depends on how much of a PITA it will be to run the wire back to your panel.

If your panel is in your garage, should be much cheaper than if your panel is in the basement on the opposite corner away from your 2-bay detached garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts