Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:30 AM

550 posts, read 680,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max01 View Post
I live in Methuen now going on my 3rd year. I really don't like it here at all. The feeling is depression/living in a ghetto. I live right next to the Lawrence line, in fact my street is 1/2 Methuen & 1/2 Lawrence. When it snows no town plows or they plow 1/2 way and stop - yes, there was a huge pile of snow in the middle of the street last year! I would not recommend it. I don't feel comfortable walking around here at all. I grew up in Wakefield in comparison. I plan on moving this year. Also, it's a strange mix of blue collar workers and latinos that I don't believe get along. There is a very strange feeling of tension. You should check out the Tribune because that will give you a feeling of the crime in this general area.
West Methuen is a nicer area. It's pretty quiet in that part of the city. Right on the Lawrence line is not that great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:35 PM

1,185 posts, read 804,405 times
There are 3 towns that I would avoid buying around there: Lawrence, Methuen and Haverhill

Lawrence: The City is known as a sanctuary city, although there are some small part of it that looks nice, the school system is very bad, the atmosphere is not very good. I try to avoid going through Lawrence if I can. It's generally a low income, low educated type place (exceptions exist of course).

Methuen: Losing battle to bad zoning and transplants from Lawrence. School is bad, but if you're on the 93 side, it's not bad. I saw some areas around 495 that were not bad.

Haverhill: It's a combination of very nice houses and places to ghetto fabulous. School system better than both of the above but still crowded and below average.

To be close to Salem, Methuen would be a good choice but beware where you buy. Is Salem NH too high in terms of taxes? Try to avoid paying MA income tax.

Look into north andover as well. Don't worry about being close to Lawrence or Methuen. NA is still a much better town overall.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
When I lived in Andover years ago, there was always an Andover cop parked on Route 28 south of the I-495 interchange. Any sketchy car that came from Lawrence and didn't get onto I-495 was followed and pulled over at the slightest traffic infraction. Kind of like Donald Trump's proposed wall on the Mexican border.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:36 PM

1,185 posts, read 804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
When I lived in Andover years ago, there was always an Andover cop parked on Route 28 south of the I-495 interchange. Any sketchy car that came from Lawrence and didn't get onto I-495 was followed and pulled over at the slightest traffic infraction. Kind of like Donald Trump's proposed wall on the Mexican border.
That was a good one haha. I know exactly which exit that is. The rt-28 that brings you into downtown andover.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The people who move from Lawrence to Methuen have bettered themselves through education and job skills.

Salem, NH has much more crime than Methuen.
Agreed. When I was house hunting in 2012 I briefly considered Salem but with the crime and graffiti all over the place and high property taxes I said forget it. I had a house on Hampshire St. in Methuen from 1995-2003 and never once was there any crime in my neighborhood. I bought a house near Milk St 4 years ago now and again no crime and the neighborhood is very quiet. As far as NH from today's Tribune "Derry NH - Monday afternoon a man neither Seixas nor his wife, Tania Torres, recognize broke into their Mitchell Avenue home. Moments later, Torres, 28, arrived home with the couple's 4-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son and found the man at the door to her own bedroom." It doesn't matter where you live. It's all the same including the public schools. So why over pay?

Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 PM

65 posts, read 71,194 times
Lived in Methuen for the past 16 years til I decided to move to FL. I actually loved living there. Great community, good police force, great food, access to 93 and 495, Salem,NH right there for tax free shopping. Only reason I left was because I was done with Winter but I miss it very much. Not enough to move back tho cuz I'm digging FL.

People are so scared of Lawrence lol. Lawrence is home to some of my favorite restaurants. Believe it or not there are some nice parts of Lawrence.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,220 times
I was born in Lawrence then lived in Methuen my whole life then moved to Salem NH. Methuen is actually a really nice city to live in and the school systems are really nice. Methuen has really nice parts like the Valley. Methuen school C.G.S is a really nice school. Lawrence isnt that bad to live in either neither is Haverhill which i also live which isnt bad either it has its nice parts. People just stereo type.

Last edited by EricaRose123; 03-28-2019 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Add something in

Old 03-29-2019, 06:20 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRose123 View Post
I was born in Lawrence then lived in Methuen my whole life then moved to Salem NH. Methuen is actually a really nice city to live in and the school systems are really nice. Methuen has really nice parts like the Valley. Methuen school C.G.S is a really nice school. Lawrence isnt that bad to live in either neither is Haverhill which i also live which isnt bad either it has its nice parts. People just stereo type.
I would agree with this the whole valley has got a bad rep but it's not a bad place to live or grow up at all. There's nothing wrong with Methuen.

Yes there are some spanish speaking people on Swan street but it's okay you won't get shot in Big Lots

Old 03-29-2019, 06:24 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I would not stake my future on a place like Methuen....it's been in an obvious, slow rate of decline for years. The west side is ok, but if you are looking to move there long term, or use the school system, I would not personally be inclined to make a major investment in that city.
Why is Methuen consistently one of fastest growing cities in New England over the past 50 years?

Why does Methuen have a median income >70k?

Why does Methuen have a citydata crime rate of 105 which is actually lower than Salem, NH?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts