Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:12 PM

339 posts, read 664,186 times

Advertisements

Houses in both towns seem comparable, though Townsend has higher ratings on greatschools website. Both seem like quiet rural towns though it appears Londonderry has better access to Boston (93).

Homes in Londonderry are more expensive with taxes but the easy access to Boston (93) could make that worth it to spend slightly more. (Will be working near kenmore square).

However the better schools in Townsend and the slightly larger homes for the $$$ seem to make the less convenient drive to Boston worth it.

My wife's family said Townsend doesn't have much to offer but that it is so close to major towns and tax free New Hampshire that it is worth considering and that many of the quieter towns in MA get built up slowly over the years so in 10 years there could be more right in Townsend.

So if you were me which would you choose? Keep in mind I will work night shift so not dealing with rush hour traffic.

So far I've compiled the following list

pros to Londonderry
-Overall tax free of NH outweighs the high RE taxes
-High RE taxes are deductible when filing taxes
-93 access makes for an easy commute
-Has small shopping plaza with TJ Max, a movie theater, and a Home Depot

Cons to Londonderry
-Live in NH but work in MA so pay MA taxes
-Schools aren't as good as MA
-Homes are not as big/nice as homes in Townsend (in our price range)

Pros to Townsend
-MA school system. Rates higher than Londonderry. I've heard MA schools in general are more accommodating to things like IEP (our kids don't have disabilities but you never know what learning accommodations may be needed down the line)
-Bigger, newer, nicer home for our $$$
-Still close to NH so any bigger purchases we can go right across the border to get tax savings
Lower RE taxes

Cons to Townsend
-No direct highway to Boston (looks like I'll have to cut through a couple towns to get to the highway plus take 1-2 highways to get to Boston. Though this would be at night so not sure if that's even an issue because wouldn't be dealing with rush hour traffic)
-MA sales tax and tax on everything else
-Quiet town that doesn't offer much (from what I'm told).. Aside from a grocery store there isn't any shopping or stores, you need to travel for that.

If anyone can help me compare these towns by offering more in depth insight I would appreciate it. Not sure if I should cross post to the NH forum as well.

ETA: we realize with our budget we are going to be +/- an hour from Boston. I am fine for that. Don't want to buy an old fixer upper just to be closer to Boston. Want a home we can live in for 10+ years that's close to NH. Someone recommended we consider Townsend or Pepperell and also recommended Londonderry or Salem. Salem doesn't have decent schools so that's how we settled on Londonderry as a contender for a NH town seeing as it's right off 93

Last edited by Bruins3445; 01-23-2016 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 05:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
I'd post in NH as well, but me personally I'd go NH just for the fact that it's a free state and not run by controlling over spending nanny dictators. Some people are into that.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Townsend has like 9000 people, Londonderry has a population of 25,000. I don't think these communities are comparable at all.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:26 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Townsend seems like a really long drive to the highway. Were you thinking of using Rte. 3?

I admit I know nothing about the place, but I am familiar with Londonderry and yes, lots of people live there and commute. The schools are supposed to be pretty good. Ask Valerie C on the NH forum - she lives there, I think.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Townsend has like 9000 people, Londonderry has a population of 25,000. I don't think these communities are comparable at all.
I wasn't sure if it was like comparing apples to oranges... However do you (or anyone reading this) know if Townsend has any plans to develop the town or draw in a higher population?

For example my wife's family was saying how towns such as N Attleboro MA used to be sleepy and small and then the mall was built and now the area has grown significantly ever since. They mentioned the same happened to Wrentham and Mansfield when both built shopping centers. I'm wondering if any locals know of Townsend (or a neighboring town) planning on any type of development?

Last edited by Bruins3445; 01-23-2016 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 05:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
I wasn't sure if it was like comparing apples to oranges... However do you (or anyone reading this) know if Townsend has any plans to develop the town or draw in a higher population?
Why do they need to have a higher population?

Old 01-23-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Townsend seems like a really long drive to the highway. Were you thinking of using Rte. 3?

I admit I know nothing about the place, but I am familiar with Londonderry and yes, lots of people live there and commute. The schools are supposed to be pretty good. Ask Valerie C on the NH forum - she lives there, I think.
Yes from what I remember when I map quested one of the homes it looked like Route 2/Route 3 which eventually connected to the Boston area and/or 93... Long drive but some of the homes in Townsend were quite nice and the type of house I could see us growing old in. Whereas a lot of the homes that had a closer commute to boston needed major repairs, were small, no land, etc. I am fine with commuting but am debating if the ease of using one highway (straight down 93 from Londonderry) is better than the commute from Townsend. Hoping someone from Townsend that has done the commute may be able to chime in.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Why do they need to have a higher population?
They don't, but it was just a question I'm wondering as many towns with high population tend to have more resources and things to do.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Yes from what I remember when I map quested one of the homes it looked like Route 2/Route 3 which eventually connected to the Boston area and/or 93... Long drive but some of the homes in Townsend were quite nice and the type of house I could see us growing old in. Whereas a lot of the homes that had a closer commute to boston needed major repairs, were small, no land, etc. I am fine with commuting but am debating if the ease of using one highway (straight down 93 from Londonderry) is better than the commute from Townsend. Hoping someone from Townsend that has done the commute may be able to chime in.
Townsend is a hike to the highway. Depending on where in town you are, it ranges from "long" to "shoot me". 119 in the AM is quite congested. Same goes for 13. I've known a couple people who have commuted into Boston from Townsend, but they all took the c-rail and apparently didn't/don't value their time (90+ minutes).

I live 5 minutes from 190 in Sterling, which means I can hit rt 2 in about 10 minutes ... the idea of commuting to Boston from this area is absurd, and I am a good 10-20 minutes closer to rt 2 than most parts of Townsend. This part of MA is truly beautiful, but living here requires a combination of sacrifice and work flexibility. There's a reason housing is cheap compared to inside 495.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:20 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Also, consider West Groton.

Excellent schools and during non-peak hours, you're looking at a pretty quick drive to rt. 2. Prices aren't too far off zither better areas of Townsend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts