Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 03:33 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Buying in Belvidere was a good idea in 2009/10/11 when prices were heavily deflated, but home prices have climbed considerably in this neighborhood since. I'd be concerned, per kingeorge's input, that you'd be exposing yourself to a world of hurt in the next down turn.
FWIW you could say this about any place that isn't a top 10 school district. OP doesn't have the luxury of being that picky about hypotheticals that may or may not come to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:51 PM

339 posts, read 665,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
FWIW you could say this about any place that isn't a top 10 school district. OP doesn't have the luxury of being that picky about hypotheticals that may or may not come to fruition.
I agree that I need to be less picky. I'm learning that we need to compromise on something. But I do feel it is good advice because I don't want to wind up in a home that'll lose a lot of value if home prices crash....

Old 02-02-2016, 04:10 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
We had ruled Lowell out entirely but I am curious as to what the "nicer" neighborhoods in Lowell are? Or what landmarks/streets to avoid? Just want to do a quick search and see if what we could get. If the house is cheap enough we could send to private school
The nicer neighborhoods in Lowell are these.

Upper Belvidere - Areas around and along routes 38 (Nesmith Street) and 133 (Andover Street) on the eastern end of the city bordering Tewksbury.

Upper Highlands - Areas around the outer part of route 110 (Chelmsford Street) back to Middlesex Street and Princeton Boulevard on the southwestern end of the city bordering Chelmsford.

Pawtucketville - Areas around and along route 113 (Pawtucket Boulevard) on the northwestern end of the city bordering Tyngsborough.

There are also pockets of decent areas interspersed throughout Centraville but you have look carefully.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I agree that OP cannot afford to be picky; however, he needs to maintain focus. Original goal was a well maintained home in a good/decent school district. He seemingly cannot afford private schools and a mortgage, so Lowell probably isn't a good fit. The risk of inflated prices is just additional reason for caution.

Assuming OP can swing the property taxes, a NH town like Londonderry is likely going to fit his requirements better than anything within the 495 belt ... particularly if "well maintained homes" and "good schools" are the priority. That, or head west to towns like Grafton, Franklin, etc.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:42 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Quote:
I agree that OP cannot afford to be picky; however, he needs to maintain focus. Original goal was a well maintained home in a good/decent school district. He seemingly cannot afford private schools and a mortgage, so Lowell probably isn't a good fit. The risk of inflated prices is just additional reason for caution.

Assuming OP can swing the property taxes, a NH town like Londonderry is likely going to fit his requirements better than anything within the 495 belt ... particularly if "well maintained homes" and "good schools" are the priority. That, or head west to towns like Grafton, Franklin, etc.
If SF is only way to go, buy the best town/schools in NH, have a long commute, and do not waste time on 3rd tier towns in MA.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
I was just looking in Dracut. In your price range it looks really good. In fact it was an eye opener. I also looked at the schools. They seem solid. Not top tier (who but very expensive towns are though) but if you plan on being very involved in the learning process I wouldn't worry at all. Also remember the longer commutes into NH mean less time to be involved in your kid's life.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:09 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
If SF is only way to go, buy the best town/schools in NH, have a long commute, and do not waste time on 3rd tier towns in MA.
Here! Here!

I played this game for 32 months of house shopping. I ended up in my current town because: A) it has exceptionally well rates schools for its price point, B) home prices in town remain well below '05 highs (unlike Groton/Dunstable) which leaves me feeling comfortable I won't lose my shirt in a downturn, C) it satisfies my current commuting needs and provides "outs" if I leave/lose my current job.

I teased myself a few times with beautiful properties in "meh" or "bad" towns. It really becomes disruptive to the home search as it ramps expectations which cannot be realized. Pick the town(s) and stick to them. OP should not be dabbling in Dracut real estate when Londonderry is on the table. Totally different towns/markets.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Here! Here!

I played this game for 32 months of house shopping. I ended up in my current town because: A) it has exceptionally well rates schools for its price point, B) home prices in town remain well below '05 highs (unlike Groton/Dunstable) which leaves me feeling comfortable I won't lose my shirt in a downturn, C) it satisfies my current commuting needs and provides "outs" if I leave/lose my current job.

I teased myself a few times with beautiful properties in "meh" or "bad" towns. It really becomes disruptive to the home search as it ramps expectations which cannot be realized. Pick the town(s) and stick to them. OP should not be dabbling in Dracut real estate when Londonderry is on the table. Totally different towns/markets.
I am curious to know where you ended up?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:53 AM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I hate that road. You get some driver's driving as if it's one and others think it's two and want to pass on the right.

Billerica tends to love their speed traps too. Can't tell you the number of times I've seen a cop in Billerica center pulling people over for inspection stickers.

They also love to do traps on Middlesex tpk and near the cemetery on Concord Rd. In 15 years of driving, my one and only ticket is on this stretch of road.

Drive slow in the 'Rica
so its really one lane? oops..... count me as the people that drive like its two.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
so its really one lane? oops..... count me as the people that drive like its two.
I drive it like it's two. Depends on how I feel that day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts