Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM

339 posts, read 664,416 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the country and never have I had to sign a bed bug addendum. I'm about to sign a lease (electronically) and I come to this portion and am confused.

1) is this addendum unique to MA?
2) would this addendum have you concerned that there is a bed bug problem that management is trying to cover up?
3) the addendum says even if my neighbor has a bed bug problem that I am responsible for the cost of fumigation my apartment. Wtf.
4) if I bother questioning this, do you think the landlord will decide to cancel our application/holding deposit?

If it wasn't such a competitive rental market I would walk away at this point but I am taking what I can get. Right now the office is close so I have to wait until next week to discuss this, but wanted thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 04:51 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
I never heard of it and it would make me suspicious that they've had problems in the past. I'd walk away if I had other options, that's up to you. Certain areas are notorious for bed bugs - just where is this apartment?

Old 02-12-2016, 05:01 PM

339 posts, read 664,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I never heard of it and it would make me suspicious that they've had problems in the past. I'd walk away if I had other options, that's up to you. Certain areas are notorious for bed bugs - just where is this apartment?
I'll send you a PM

Old 02-12-2016, 05:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
I've lived all over the country and never have I had to sign a bed bug addendum. I'm about to sign a lease (electronically) and I come to this portion and am confused.

1) is this addendum unique to MA?
2) would this addendum have you concerned that there is a bed bug problem that management is trying to cover up?
3) the addendum says even if my neighbor has a bed bug problem that I am responsible for the cost of fumigation my apartment. Wtf.
4) if I bother questioning this, do you think the landlord will decide to cancel our application/holding deposit?

If it wasn't such a competitive rental market I would walk away at this point but I am taking what I can get. Right now the office is close so I have to wait until next week to discuss this, but wanted thoughts on this.

This is not something found in standard MA lease.

In MA LL would be responsible for bug infestation, unless LL has proof that rental was treated and/or determined to be free of bugs, and before tenant moved in. Or in case of SF rental, if LL has proof that home was bug free, current tenant might be solely responsible for bug removal.

They must have problem, now or in the past, and trying to pass costs onto tenants. To be fair bugs can easily be brought in by moving (furniture, clothes, even pets) and LL has little control over that fact unless they require all tenants possessions to be inspected and treated if necessary.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Those addenda showing up in Texas. Bedbugs travel by air very well, and places that never had bedbugs before are suddenly getting them, particularly in international areas.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:49 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post

They must have problem, now or in the past, and trying to pass costs onto tenants. To be fair bugs can easily be brought in by moving (furniture, clothes, even pets) and LL has little control over that fact unless they require all tenants possessions to be inspected and treated if necessary.
This is why it's primarily a problem in the student areas like Allston and Brighton.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:48 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Landlords are responsible for pest control. I would not sign an addendum like that.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:37 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Landlords are responsible for pest control. I would not sign an addendum like that.
Do you think landlords take maintenance expenses out of their daughter's college fund? No, those are passed along to other tenants.

Bedbugs represent a hugely expensive, unusual, extra maintenance problem. The bedbug addenda that I've seen are essentially like the addenda regarding pets, and like pets, they are a known extra maintenance issue that should not be born by all the other tenants in the form of higher rent.

Basically, if you bring bedbugs into this apartment, you're financially responsible for the extensive extra effort to clean them out.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do you think landlords take maintenance expenses out of their daughter's college fund? No, those are passed along to other tenants.

Bedbugs represent a hugely expensive, unusual, extra maintenance problem. The bedbug addenda that I've seen are essentially like the addenda regarding pets, and like pets, they are a known extra maintenance issue that should not be born by all the other tenants in the form of higher rent.

Basically, if you bring bedbugs into this apartment, you're financially responsible for the extensive extra effort to clean them out.
Seeing as people can barely see bedbugs that's completely unreasonable. If you don't want the expense and hassle of maintaining an apartment don't become a landlord.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:56 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Seeing as people can barely see bedbugs that's completely unreasonable. If you don't want the expense and hassle of maintaining an apartment don't become a landlord.
If you don't want the expense and hassle of insuring you haven't picked up an infestation, don't rent apartments.

Gee, this is fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts