Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 AM

12 posts, read 15,629 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'd like to get people's thoughts on the pro's/con's of a few towns we're considering moving to.
Right now we live in Easton and we do like it, but the long terms prospects (taxes/schools/etc) are looking more bleak by the day. We'd like to make a move, this fall at the earliest, but likely next March/April. The towns we are considering are Foxboro, Wrentham, Franklin, and Plainville-pretty much in that order.

Some things about us- my wife works in mansfield, right at 495/95. I currently work in downtown boston, but that may change to the 495 area in the future (access to the commuter rail is somewhat important, but not a deal breaker) We have a 2.5 year old son, so the future outlook of the school district is becoming more and more important, as well as activities/sports around town.

We'd like to keep the house price in the 550-650k range. We'd like 4+ bedrooms and something fairly new (less than 15-20 years old), in quiet neighborhood. We currently live on a semi-busy road and would love a quieter neighborhood where our son can play outside without us worrying.

I see on all the real estate sites that there are some options in all of these towns, but not a ton. Foxboro seems to be the slimmest of pickings.

So for people in our situation in these towns, what do you think so far? What has "sold" you so far on these towns?

Thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
I'd love to know what's making you sour on Easton. If it's that you live on a main road that's one thing but if you expect the schools and taxes to be substantially different in the other towns you listed I think you'll be disappointed.

All the towns you listed are pretty similar. I'd focus on the house itself more than the town.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:51 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Plainville will be the least expensive. Franklin is much larger than the other 3, Wrentham will be the quietest overall. Wrentham and Plainville middle and high school students (along with Norfolk) attend the King Philip district. As you know, Franklin has commuter rail (2 stops).

Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 AM

91 posts, read 127,770 times
If commuter rail access is important, the Mansfield is the best option as it gets you to Boston much quicker than Franklin. Also, for Mansfield train, parking is better if you are a Mansfield resident. There are lots of quiet neighborhoods outside of the Downtown area, especially in West Mansfield. Plus, schools are good and quite similar to Foxboro.
Wrentham is lovely and has a lot of nice, quiet neighborhoods, but harder to get to a commuter rail.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 9,985 times
Hey there! Just out of curiosity - did you happen to decide on a town? There's a few more homes on the market in your price range in Foxboro than there was when you first posted this. Actually I just came across a beautiful colonial home in a cul-de-sac that may fit your needs.

I currently live in Foxboro and I love it. I'm right on the border of Foxboro/Mansfield. I frequently commute to the Boston area, and it's not terrible. My favorite part about Foxboro is the proximity to restaurants, stores, and Boston. I used to live in Medway, and while it's a great town to raise a family, there's really just not much to do.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 AM

404 posts, read 526,270 times
Mansfield is your best option and has a great downtown revitalization in full swing with serious private investment around train station. It's insane how quick you can be at south station....30 mins on the express train.
And...if it matters to you (personally I think it's baloney)...but the Lord & saviour greatschools.org just bumped the high school up to a 9.
Mansfield is a sports town.
Mansfield is within 45 mins from ye Olde cape cod.
Foxboro is mansfield without a train.
Wrentham is country living.
Plainville is dirt cheap good value but you're driving 10-15 minutes to mansfield to get train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts