Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavarsh View Post
I was recently told that the towns along rt 2 will not have much of a nightlife (bars/live music/ etc.) is this true? I was told Lowell or Worcester would be a better choice but I don't have much desire to live in a large city.

Lowell is certainly not a large city. I wouldn't call Worcester one either. Both have some things going on.

And they are correct. There is no nightlife for a young adult along Rt 2. Maynard is where 30 something eco couples go when they have their kid and move out of Somerville, it seems. I'm sure there is something to do there, but not really a nightlife.

You can't really have both, live in a town AND have a nightlife, unless you live in a town next to a city (like Arlington next to Somerville).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:11 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Lowell is certainly not a large city. I wouldn't call Worcester one either. Both have some things going on.
Having spent a great deal of time in both, I find Lowell is certainly an easier city to digest. Lowell's desirable amenities are conveniently condensed into a single downtown zone. Easy to navigate, easy to police. Worcester's sprawl creates social pockets (good and bad) which makes the city feel a bit larger than it is.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 5,756 times
Lowell is seeming like a good option, any other suggestions? I'll plan to go drive around MA soon to get a better handle on it. I would also really appreciate a driveway or garage as I am a car enthusiast and will be working on a car. Is that a situation I will be able to find near or in Lowell? Thanks

Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavarsh View Post
Lowell is seeming like a good option, any other suggestions? I'll plan to go drive around MA soon to get a better handle on it. I would also really appreciate a driveway or garage as I am a car enthusiast and will be working on a car. Is that a situation I will be able to find near or in Lowell? Thanks
Not likely in Lowell, at least not in the downtown area. Most of the units are converted mill buildings, meaning parking is either in a public parking garage or shared garage/lot managed by the landlord (which in Lowell means a massive management company like Wynn). Both situations, public or private, have policies against working on your vehicle (which I ignored on a few occasions and was harassed for doing so). The parking garages/lots are so regulated I'd avoid it, choosing instead to do much of my wrenching on the side of deserted public roads at 6am on Sundays ... the Lowell police care far less about ones car activities than the towing companies hired to patrol the garages/lots.

If you want a private driveway and/or garage, you're pretty much looking at a townhome or SFH rental. I had to put my car wrenching on hiatus until I left the dowtown area of Lowell - both because it was impractical and I was concerned about theft.

Another consideration is Hudson. Main street has a very small scene which can keep you satisfied during the work week, then hit Prov or Boston on the weekend.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
I would certainly recommend Waltham. Great downtown with many resturants and bars. Waltham also has a larger population of young people and nightlife compared to places surrounding Ayer. You could probably find a house to share with roommates that includes a driveway in Waltham.

New Hampshire is also an option but remember that you are basically being double taxed if you move there. New Hampshire has higher property taxes with no income tax but you would still have to pay an income tax working in Massachusetts. However real estate values are much lower in New Hampshire compared to towns close to Boston and many people do commute into Massachusetts.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:41 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I would certainly recommend Waltham. Great downtown with many resturants and bars. Waltham also has a larger population of young people and nightlife compared to places surrounding Ayer. You could probably find a house to share with roommates that includes a driveway in Waltham.

New Hampshire is also an option but remember that you are basically being double taxed if you move there. New Hampshire has higher property taxes with no income tax but you would still have to pay an income tax working in Massachusetts. However real estate values are much lower in New Hampshire compared to towns close to Boston and many people do commute into Massachusetts.
He's renting so he wouldn't pay real estate tax and rents are lower in New Hampshire, anyway.

Nashua might work.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:45 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
He's renting so he wouldn't pay real estate tax and rents are lower in New Hampshire, anyway.

Nashua might work.
He isn't directly paying real estate taxes but his landlord would be. By paying rent he would indirectly be paying the real estate taxes that's why I mentioned it. However real estate is definitely a lot cheaper in NH compared to metro Boston so the rents will still be lower than many parts of Massachusetts.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
He isn't directly paying real estate taxes but his landlord would be. By paying rent he would indirectly be paying the real estate taxes that's why I mentioned it. However real estate is definitely a lot cheaper in NH compared to metro Boston so the rents will still be lower than many parts of Massachusetts.
Landlords don't directly transfer costs to renters - market dictates price. There's no appreciable cost differential between Nashua and Lowell despite similar amenities and job access. If we were to really crunch the numbers, I'm willing to bet average rent in Lowell is slightly more expensive despite it's much lower tax rate due to it's slightly better Boston/95 proximity, i.e., mo' demand, mo' money.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:33 PM

7 posts, read 5,756 times
Thanks for all the help so far, I will be settling on a place soon. Are there any other suggestions? thanks

Old 06-14-2016, 06:19 AM

652 posts, read 750,554 times
Waltham is certainly in the mix. Moody Street is a really cool area with an eclectic mix of restaurants a drinking holes. And it's not terribly far from Boston/ Camberville. Commuter Rail and express bus connections to the city. Not sure about garage availability but there seems to be a lot of auto shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts