Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 PM

10 posts, read 7,355 times

Advertisements

Hi - as the title suggests, we're looking for recommendations for a good school district for our son who has been diagnosed with HFA / Asperger's syndrome. Before the diagnosis, we had been looking at the Cape Ann area but have read mixed opinions and are widening the scope as a result. Currently getting OT/PT/ST in NY. He'd be starting K here in the Fall but in most of the districts I've seen in MA, he'd be too young to start this year (which we think is likely a good thing)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:32 PM

3,690 posts, read 7,440,860 times
Where are you going to be working that prompts the move to MA?

What is your budget?

Old 05-26-2016, 10:43 PM

317 posts, read 332,475 times
No matter where you live you could delay kindergarten for a year. It's pretty common for kids with summer birthdays around here (especially boys). My son is hfa and he has a March birthday and will be starting k at 6 yrs old in the fall. He is academically ahead but socially/emotionally immature. If you are serious about MA be prepared to shell out for a $$$ town. Those are the ones with the best services, unfortunately.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:17 AM

Thanks for both of the previous replies.

My current position allows me to work remotely so for now, that's not an issue. We're looking to spend in roughly the 450k area but would go up a chunk more if it would make a significant difference in the quality of the schools etc.

As for delaying kindergarten, here in NY they're telling us that if we do that, we can't get the same level of service we're getting as a preschooler and we and the therapists working with him feel strongly that he needs those supports.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:32 AM

560 posts, read 753,129 times
For most of the "better" towns, $450k is a starting point with prices increasing rapidly depending on what your list includes.

What do you want/need in a home. that would better help us help you in terms of where to look.

and are you wedded to the North Shore or does All of Metro Boston work? and would you go a bit further out if you don't have a commute? that will help stretch your dollar dramatically while still leaving access to high quality school systems.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 AM

Our initial hope is to be within an hour, ideally half that or less, of Gloucester. Based on some of the school searches through niche.com and B+ school ratings (which do not take into account special needs, hence this post) we see Marblehead, Wenham etc and that we should anticipate spending closer to the mid-500s which we'd be prepared to do if it makes a big difference school quality wise. As for the house itself, 3br, 1.5ba, 1700sqft and. 25ac would be a nice base. And right now I wouldn't have to commute but we want to be situated such that if/when that changes or my wife wants to resume work, we are not out in the boonies with 90 minute commutes. I am a software developer so the North Shore./128 corridor is where we thought we'd have the best chance of keeping our options open.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:56 AM

317 posts, read 332,475 times
A lot of towns here do TK, which stands for transitional kindergarten. It's great for kids who need that extra year. I don't know much about the north shore as far as schools, but if you end up there, there is a great therapy center/school called Futures. I've heard amazing things about their social skills groups and camp.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:09 PM

Thanks, that sounds great.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 AM

132 posts, read 182,749 times
Most people don't know that Beverly has a very good special ed program. Several friends have children there and rave about how easy the team is to work with. Hamilton/Wenham I hear the opposite. I know a family now ready to sue to get their child services. Manchester/Essex I know from personal experience has great student services. Extremely attentive and focused on helping children with social adjustment challenges. You will need a budget of at least 600 for Manchester but Essex 500 will work. Beverly you can still find decent houses at 450.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:20 AM

9,893 posts, read 7,238,713 times
You may want to consider the LABBB program. The towns of Lexington, Arlington, Burlington, Bedford, and Belmont have a collaborative for special needs and early intervention for their five towns:

LABBB Collaborative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts