Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 12:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,840 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure which forum to use to start this thread, but Massachusetts seemed the best...

I'm mattress-shopping, with very specific requirements (full mattress, no deeper than 10 inches and hopefully less, medium firm, innerspring or pocketed coil, no memory foam). I had done a lot of research and checking out of mattresses at Gardner Mattress, and was quite pleased with the friendliness and flexibility and help of the salesman I've worked with...but most of the mattresses in my preferred price range seem too firm or a little too soft. The helpful salesman does, I believe, get a commission for sales.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I discovered the Watertown Mattress store. It's much less attractive than Gardner, being a factory direct store with a warehouse look to it. But I have found a mattress that is not only much less expensive than the ones I was trying out at Gardner Mattress, but feels more comfortable: the Gold Bond Comfort 200 Firm.

http://http://goldbondmattress.com/uploads/media/NEW-Comfort_Collection-200-Firm.pdf

Although the website specifies that it's 11-inches deep, the mattress actually is not quite 9 inches deep, perfect for me. They have a 5-inch boxspring that will complete the set.

The only down side is that it is not two-sided (can't flip it), but I'm hoping that if I rotate it 4 times a year, the mattress will last over 7 years. I hope the quilted top won't wear off too quickly (I will be using a mattress pad). There is a price difference of nearly $1000 between this mattress and the one I was focussing on at Gardner Mattress. The salesman I've talked to is one of the owners; supposedly does not get a commission.

Has anyone ever shopped at Watertown Mattress in Watertown, MA?
http://http://www.watertownmattress.com/

If so, what did you think of the store; what was your experience there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
I have. It was good for a super cheap, deliver right away, mattress when I moved back here quickly and needed something to throw in a sublet. It wasn't high quality, it was cheap and did the job for awhile, but didn't last very long... I didn't expect it to. Then I upgraded.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,734,005 times
Mattress shopping is like car shopping. You are never going to have all the information. Mattress companies even create differently named mattresses for the different stores, so it is impossible to truly comparison shop.

We have had huge problems with body impressions on mattresses. (And we're not particularly enormous people.) No one will guarantee against them. We have even bought mattresses that were $3K, which we thought was ridiculous to pay for a mattress, but they said it would last 20 years. It lasted us less than 5. We are at the point now where we figure we'll just pay $500 or so for a mattress (we have a King) and just buy a new one every few years.

There are quite a few that you can get via mail order that many people have liked.

I'm not sure any mattress will really last over 7 years, regardless of what you pay. Go with what you can afford and feels comfortable to you. Figure that there is a good chance you'll be replacing it around year 7, regardless of what you pay.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:10 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,554,563 times
We sprang for one from Jordan's. Probably overpriced, but I gotta say it's probably the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept in. Everything else I've used is probably cheap, discount store mattresses.

Haven't had it long enough to comment on long term durability, but I'm certainly no longer complaining about the price.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:21 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,824,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We sprang for one from Jordan's. Probably overpriced, but I gotta say it's probably the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept in. Everything else I've used is probably cheap, discount store mattresses.

Haven't had it long enough to comment on long term durability, but I'm certainly no longer complaining about the price.
+1

My Jordans mattress (Sealy Posturpedic) wasn't particularly expensive at around $1200 for a queen with boxspring, but it's now going on year 11. I'm in a bigger house now so I want to upgrade to a king, but we're just waiting for this thing to break. Maybe next year...

Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have. It was good for a super cheap, deliver right away, mattress when I moved back here quickly and needed something to throw in a sublet. It wasn't high quality, it was cheap and did the job for awhile, but didn't last very long... I didn't expect it to. Then I upgraded.

How long did the mattress from Watertown Mattress last? May I ask what mattress you bought when you upgraded?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
How long did the mattress from Watertown Mattress last? May I ask what mattress you bought when you upgraded?
Oh it was good for maybe 3 years, tops. Though I kept it past then.

I don't recall the exact mattress, but I bought one from The Boston Bed Company on Cambridge St in Cambridge. I've had this about 3 years and very happy with it. Just the mattress mind you. I had a box spring and frame already.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh it was good for maybe 3 years, tops. Though I kept it past then.

I don't recall the exact mattress, but I bought one from The Boston Bed Company on Cambridge St in Cambridge. I've had this about 3 years and very happy with it. Just the mattress mind you. I had a box spring and frame already.

Thank you for your reply. By any chance, do you happen to remember what kind of mattress you had bought at Watertown Mattress; that was good for 3 years? (or was the one from Watertown mattress the one whose type you can't remember?).

I've looked at the Boston Bed Company and liked some of their mattresses; but they charge 20% of the original price if I return it within 30 days (as I would if I could not adjust to it) - the other stores I have looked at don't charge if I return a mattress within that time.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 AM

13 posts, read 9,835 times
I recommend going to Spindle Mattress in Acton. Yeah, it's out from the city a bit, but it's worth it

They have natural latex mattresses. NOT memory foam. (I was concerned about sleeping on a foam mattress because I do sometimes get HOT at night -- I haven't had any heat issues with the Spindle natural latex foam mattress)

They do most of their selling online https://spindlemattress.com but you can go to their offices in Acton & try out the different firmnesses if don't want to buy online without trying the mattresses

The mattresses ship in 4 boxes: one for the cover that zips around, and 3 each with 1 layer of latex foam. You can customize each layer with different densities of latex -- soft, medium, firm, extra firm -- to match your desired comfort & be appropriate for your weight (a heavier person will need a firmer base layer than a lighter person to get the desired effect)

Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but less pricey than buying comparable quality from Jordan's or from the Green Bedroom. Natural latex. Organic cotton for the cover. Fire retardancy is from wool, not chemicals.

We've been VERY satisfied with our King-sized Spindle mattress. So much so that last summer when we replaced our daughter's twin bed with a double when she got married, we bought another Spindle mattress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts