Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 01:04 PM

23,567 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Legal Seafood chowder comes in a huge plastic bag from a supplier in Fall River owned by the same parent company. It's pretty good chowder if you buy it at a Legal's restaurant or at the Blount outlet in Fall River because it hasn't been frozen. Lots of other restaurants buy from Blount so I see it in various non-Legal's restaurants. It's better than frozen Sysco truck bagged chowder. Personally, I prefer clear broth chowder that skips the dairy and flour but that's more of a Rhode Island thing.

The thing that makes Legal Seafood chowder distinctive is the herb blend. A vanilla New England clam chowder doesn't have any herbs in it. It's an Herbes de Provence blend. You can do the same flavor with Sysco truck bag chowder or canned Snow's when you heat it up but the potato won't be as good as the non-frozen Blount stuff.
That's what I meant, at the actual restaurant...would never buy the stuff from S&S, etc.

I as well actually prefer the RI style (RI "white" I mean, the "red" stuff is hideous). I also like the fish chowder that's typical in Maine or the Maritimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:42 PM

280 posts, read 603,832 times
What about Woodman's of Essex? I liked their chowder a lot!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 PM

23,567 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
What about Woodman's of Essex? I liked their chowder a lot!
I don't know, love their fried clams though!

Old 06-14-2016, 06:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's what I meant, at the actual restaurant...would never buy the stuff from S&S, etc.

I as well actually prefer the RI style (RI "white" I mean, the "red" stuff is hideous). I also like the fish chowder that's typical in Maine or the Maritimes.
I can't say with any confidence that I've had New England-style chowder at any restaurant in the last decade that didn't come off a truck. If I owned a restaurant, that's not where I would be spending my labor cost dollars since I could buy from Blount, toss in some herbs and a bit of butter, and not be able to do better with my own staff. That's what Legal Seafood does. I just wish I could reproduce their herb blend. I keep varying the herb blend when I make my own clear broth chowder from leftover steamer clams and haven't been able to get it right yet.

That nasty red stuff is only eaten by people who wear NY Yankees baseball hats or who are wearing Jets/Giants logo clothing.

Two owners ago, the local hole-in-the-wall restaurant on my harbor had great clear broth quahog chowder. I'm not aware of anyone around me that does it. I'd have to drive to Rhode Island.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
When I arrived in town in 1978, I loved the chowder at No Name. Not sure if it was a clam
or a fish chowder. Granted, I had never had restaurant or any other quality chowder before but loved it.

I hear not-so-glowing feedback occasionally about No Name; I'd hate for Boston to lose another institution eventually.

Anybody recommend No Name's clam chowder or fish chowder? Heck, they're a clam's throw from the harbor...I'd expect fresh chowder made on premises but who knows where it's from?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:37 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
The No Name serves fish chowder. It's delicious.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 PM

28 posts, read 24,858 times
Chequers at BUMC. Only served on Fridays and the best chowder I've had.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Skippers in South Yarmouth, MA
I had some at Capt Parkers which also was really good in Yarmouth

Old 06-20-2016, 01:36 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
The Sail Loft and Island Creek are both great
I second the The Sail Loft. Very creamy with a little dill, fantastic!

http://thebostonsailloft.com/

Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I haven't seen my favorite Kelly's mentioned. Now it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts