Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 04:23 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

There was a book and movie about the Woburn contamination - "A Civil Action" with John Travolta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:32 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
When I think of Woburn I think of that cancer cluster phenomenon which happened a decade or two ago (wasn't there a hazardous waste dumping site there at some point?) I always thought it was a relatively cheaper place to live because of that.
That was in the 70's when the illegal dumping was discovered. Believe or not, the sites in question have been or are being redeveloped - Anderson Station, Salem St., and Washington St.

Woburn has some stunning neighborhoods on the Winchester and Lexington town lines. One can into a really nice house for reasonable - vis a vis Winchester/Lexington - money. Lots of shopping and commercial space providing a solid tax base. In terms of a Boston commute, there is the commuter rail and the 354 bus makes a couple of stops in Woburn on it's way to State St. Of course, there are lots of job opportunities in the city as well as in the surrounding area.

If one wants a traditional mostly suburban experience north of Boston, Woburn is still a bargain IMHO.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:16 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
It sounds like a main drawback to woburn is the schools not being great. Could be a great place for first time buyers who don't have any kids yet.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 AM

21 posts, read 33,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It sounds like a main drawback to woburn is the schools not being great. Could be a great place for first time buyers who don't have any kids yet.
Yes. Plus, property tax is cheap compare to the adjacent towns.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
My thoughts on Woburn: Originally, very middle class; blue collar; Irish-American stronghold, with some Italians etc., mixed in; close-knit, although not as much as Stoneham, for instance.

I see the change happening from it's grittier beginnings—with real estate increasing, the gaudy Cummings complex you can't miss from the Highway, the transferral of the Courthouse from Cambridge...even the addition of new businesses such as Dave & Buster's, which keeps me from driving to Braintree (although I still lean toward that one, in some respects). Still it's hard for me to see it in the same light as a place like Waltham; perhaps that's due to the nature of the colleges there and the students/grads' presence, making it appear less "townie," than Woburn.

I just can't completely shake that initial image of Woburn: it's like trying to dress up a typically sloppy person in bespoke clothing, but their demeanor still comes across as an amateur instead of a connoisseur. I don't want to come across as a snob, but I still think of Woburn as a place barely trying to keep its somewhat grittier, lower key image. I can't see it competing with it's neighbors. Of course, if you could actually afford, Lexington, Winchester, even Burlington, you wouldn't even have Woburn on your short list to live. For other activities, I'm sure you would.

That was a long answer, I know. My short answer is, while Woburn is changing, and I understand why (location, general affordability, etc.) I still don't see ALL the hype and glamour (in another years, perhaps). I suppose it's fine if it's what you can afford. It's definitely a cut ahead of Medford, Malden and Revere; that's not even a debate.

Last edited by LexWest; 06-23-2016 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 01:49 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
My thoughts on Woburn: Originally, very middle class; blue collar; Irish-American stronghold, with some Italians etc., mixed in; close-knit, although not as much as Stoneham, for instance.

I see the change happening from it's grittier beginnings—with real estate increasing, the gaudy Cummings complex you can't miss from the Highway, the transferral of the Courthouse from Cambridge...even the addition of new businesses such as Dave & Buster's, which keeps me from driving to Braintree (although I still lean toward that one, in some respects). Still it's hard for me to see it in the same light as a place like Waltham; perhaps that's due to the nature of the colleges there and the students/grads' presence, making it appear less "townie," than Woburn.

I just can't completely shake that initial image of Woburn: it's like trying to dress up a typically sloppy person in bespoke clothing, but their demeanor still comes across as an amateur instead of a connoisseur. I don't want to come across as a snob, but I still think of Woburn as a place barely trying to keep its somewhat grittier, lower key image. I can't see it competing with it's neighbors. Of course, if you could actually afford, Lexington, Winchester, even Burlington, you wouldn't even have Woburn on your short list to live. For other activities, I'm sure you would.

That was a long answer, I know. My short answer is, while Woburn is changing, and I understand why (location, general affordability, etc.) I still don't see ALL the hype and glamour (in another years, perhaps). I suppose it's fine if it's what you can afford. It's definitely a cut ahead of Medford, Malden and Revere; that's not even a debate.
That's the key: "if it's what you can afford". There's not much left inside of 128 where you can buy anything decent for a middle class family. Lot's of single family homes in Woburn & that's a real plus.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:27 AM

Lexwest i totally get where you are coming from and i feel the same way about many towns in MA that are suddenly so expensive. I dont think it's a great thing as it's becoming harder for people to find a place to live particularly without having a horrible commute into the city.

I also had no idea Burlington had become a pricy place to live. Maybe ive just never paid much attention to the north shore the way i do the south shore.

I feel like woburn is equivalent to weymouth? Only parts of weymouth have the water which i think is a plus.

Also what makes woburn so much better than malden...or even revere? Revere does have the water as well...

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 06-24-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Ahead of Medford??? The Medford I see is expensive and full of highly educated young professional families.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:48 AM

Yeah woburn is no way ahead of medford.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Medford is more desirable than Woburn. Malden might be as well given that it has the orange line access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts