Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
As for moving out of state who can uproot from business and family just because the political dummies are messing around? I know one person who has moved to Spain due to the fear of Trump, yeah she is a nut case, and I know a couple that finally ditched Mass and moved to Maine because of things like this.
I recently moved to Maine (was lucky enough to secure a well paying job in a lower cost part of that state), and while they certainly have issues with their government it HAS been a breath of fresh air. Open carry? No problem. Conceal? No permit required. No local police chief able to deny you your individual rights without cause. Now I personally think the new conceal law is asking for trouble, but whatever. Much more likely to be killed in a moose collision...

Anyway, I'm always happy to come home and visit Mass. But after about the 2nd day, I'm usually more than ready to hightail it out of there. It just doesn't do it for me anymore, and it doesn't appear to be getting any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
NATICK — Massachusetts gun dealers sold more than 2,000 military-style rifles Wednesday — nearly one-quarter of the total sold last year — after Attorney General Maura Healey moved to bar semiautomatic rifles that have been altered slightly to evade the state’s assault weapons ban.

The 2,251 assault rifles snapped up in a gun-buying frenzy represented a remarkable uptick from the 132 sold Tuesday and the 51 sold Monday, before Healey announced her ban. The numbers were first reported by Commonwealth Magazine.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...HKK/story.html

Old 07-23-2016, 06:55 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Seems the way to sell something in great quantities, is to ban it, or just mention a ban.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:25 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
NATICK — Massachusetts gun dealers sold more than 2,000 military-style rifles Wednesday — nearly one-quarter of the total sold last year — after Attorney General Maura Healey moved to bar semiautomatic rifles that have been altered slightly to evade the state’s assault weapons ban.

The 2,251 assault rifles snapped up in a gun-buying frenzy represented a remarkable uptick from the 132 sold Tuesday and the 51 sold Monday, before Healey announced her ban. The numbers were first reported by Commonwealth Magazine.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...HKK/story.html

I had heard that too. Healey and Obama have been a boon for gun sales.

Yesterday Howie Carr had the president of GOAL the Gun Owners Action League on the radio and he was saying what a disaster this is. If anyone had bought one of these rifles after the ban in 94 they are now a potential felon if they try and sell the gun. The jury is still out on whether the mere possession of the gun is a felony.
GOAL was calling on people to mass at the state house this morning and pressure the powers that be to set this straight TODAY.
It still boggles the mind that one person is allowed to make this mess then walk away. The police don't know what to do, the gun shops have no idea and the owners of these guns are left out to wonder if the police will come calling to arrest them for breaking the law and sticking them in prison for 10 years for something that was legal earlier this week.

What is Governor Bakers position? Who Knows?
One would have expected something like this to happen under Deval Patrick but Baker?

Imagine if Healey decided she didn't like another popular product and moved to ban that as well making anyone who owns it a felon.

I wonder if the GOAL people will block the roads or will they respect the law.
Black Guns Matter.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Baker's position on this:

Quote:
Republican Gov. Charlie Baker says Democratic Attorney General Maura Healey has the right to crack down on the sale and manufacture of what she’s called copycat assault weapons.

Healey on Wednesday sent an enforcement notice to gun sellers and manufacturers clarifying what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon under the state’s assault weapons ban.

Healey said an estimated 10,000 copycat assault weapons were sold in Massachusetts last year.

Baker said during his monthly “Ask the Governor” segment on WGBH-FM Thursday that Healey has the authority to send the notice about the assault weapons ban.

Baker said if weapons violating the assault weapons ban are being sold here, that should be dealt with. He said a big issue is clearing up any confusion about which weapons are banned and which aren’t.

- A.P. News

Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
There should be no restrictions. Americans should be able to get any weapons they want to hunt or defend themselves. Let them have assault rifles. Let them have mortars. Let them have hand grenades. Let them have tanks. Let them have nukes. This is America god damn it.

(heavy sarcasm intended)

Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Can somebody explain to me why they need a semi-automatic rifle with a high capacity detachable magazine? A semi-automatic rifle like a Remington 750 that doesn't have a detachable magazine is totally legal. If it takes more than 4 rounds to drop Bambi, you should be laying off the Jack Daniels.

The Massachusetts law banning those dates back to 1994. All the AG has done is state that the state will be enforcing that law.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Seems the way to sell something in great quantities, is to ban it, or just mention a ban.

Shows you the mindset of that type of person. Gross.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:47 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I recently moved to Maine (was lucky enough to secure a well paying job in a lower cost part of that state), and while they certainly have issues with their government it HAS been a breath of fresh air. Open carry? No problem. Conceal? No permit required. No local police chief able to deny you your individual rights without cause. Now I personally think the new conceal law is asking for trouble, but whatever. Much more likely to be killed in a moose collision...

Anyway, I'm always happy to come home and visit Mass. But after about the 2nd day, I'm usually more than ready to hightail it out of there. It just doesn't do it for me anymore, and it doesn't appear to be getting any better.
Amen. I moved out of MA years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. I don't need a gun license in the state I'm in to buy a gun. I enjoy coming back to visit family, but will never live in MA again. Between the stupid gun laws and then having state cops every 4 miles on the highway, I feel liberated.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:50 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Amen. I moved out of MA years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. I don't need a gun license in the state I'm in to buy a gun. I enjoy coming back to visit family, but will never live in MA again. Between the stupid gun laws and then having state cops every 4 miles on the highway, I feel liberated.
I've found that state cops are much more prevalent inside the "live free or die" state than inside Massachusetts. It seems like Mass state cops don't spend as much time catching speeders compared to cops in other states. Honestly I think that is a good thing, the speed limit on many highways are too low and should be raised. Despite the fact that cars are much safer and perform much better than in the past speed limits have stayed low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts