Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I find the Red Line to be far worse in the evening. In general I can get to South Station in 30 minutes (20 minutes on a good day), but yes it's taken me way longer more often than it should. Yes, it's not as bad from Kendall, usually. I've tried driving to work during rush hour- it takes a minimum of 2 hours each way and that's with every shortcut used and requires my full undivided attention for 2 hours.

For sure. All I'm saying is neither commute is a picnic and the OP should try the commute before buying a house based on it before automatically assuming that the MBTA's schedules accurately reflect how easy the commute will be. $350k won't buy much in Mansfield anymore anyway.
If I were in your situation I'd bike from Back Bay or Ruggles. As it is now I walk to Ruggles and save 10 minutes going home and all the frustration of the Red Line.

And no, $350k isn't going to go very far in Mansfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,707 times
Thank you for the advice everyone.

As to Foxboro, there are a few houses that are right at $350k, but they go fast and we'd probably have to go above list, so that remains a remote possibility.

As to the horrible commute, I definitely will do a few test runs. The issue is every town is a series of trade offs, and if we want above-average schools, a single family house, and <= $350k, you have to give somewhere. And if sucky commute is the trade-off, I think I can deal, and try to negotiate some remote work into future jobs. I think this trade off is better than a town like... Randolph or Weymouth or something like that.

I had not realized that Mansfield had a faster train than Franklin. This is something to consider, although since $350k isn't going to get me anything, maybe try to do the math on trying that train.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:15 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
The commuter rail ride is actually shorter time-wise from both the Attleboro and South Attleboro stations than it is from either Franklin station. You may therefore want to also look at a town like North Attleborough which has lower housing costs than both Foxboro and Mansfield.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 AM

187 posts, read 217,368 times
The commute just seems so bad to me, I'd feel like you will regret your decision. Why can't you look at towns closer to Cambridge? I'm thinking Burlington, Waltham, maybe Stow, Maynard?

Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Anywhere along the Fitchburg line would be the best option for you. The Fitchburg line stops in Cambridge.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Anywhere along the Fitchburg line would be the best option for you. The Fitchburg line stops in Cambridge.
It stops in Porter which is not in Cambridge, and just as inconvenient to Kendall as South Station. It is a myth that the Fitchburg line is automatically faster.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:06 PM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
But then you just hop on the red line at Porter instead of going all the way into Boston and then out to kendall. This way you never have to deal with Boston at all. My husband used to commute to longwood on the Franklin line from that area and it took him 1 hr 15 min (10 min was walking) door to door and we were actually closer in than Franklin. And he got off at ruggles. There is no reason to chose Franklin when you are commuting to Cambridge imo.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
But then you just hop on the red line at Porter instead of going all the way into Boston and then out to kendall. This way you never have to deal with Boston at all. My husband used to commute to longwood on the Franklin line from that area and it took him 1 hr 15 min (10 min was walking) door to door and we were actually closer in than Franklin. And he got off at ruggles. There is no reason to chose Franklin when you are commuting to Cambridge imo.
Look at the time tables. You will see that Porter to Kendall takes about as much time as South Station to Kendall. Now if you are getting on commuter rail close to Kendall that's one thing but zone 6-8 from the Fitchburg line or the Franklin line to Kendall is going to take almost the same amount of time.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It stops in Porter which is not in Cambridge, and just as inconvenient to Kendall as South Station. It is a myth that the Fitchburg line is automatically faster.
Porter is in Cambridge.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:25 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Porter is in Cambridge.
Was just about to say, I don't know where else it would be...

It's a much easier, simpler transfer at Porter than at South Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts