Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:04 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Big Y just recently replaced Hannafords in Milford. So far it seems good. Did Hannafords go out of business?
No they did not.

Ahold (parent of S&S) and Delhaize (parent of Hannaford) finalized their merger in July. Part of the FTC approval of the merger was that the combined company sell off competing stores. They sold 81 stores in Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. Stores were sold to the following companies:

Albertson's - MD
Big Y - Eastern MA
Publix - VA
Subel's - PA
Shop & Save - MD, PA, VA, WV
Tops - Western MA, NY
Weiss - DE, MD, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:09 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I used to live in RI and on my way home from visiting friends/family in MA would stop at Big Y in Walpole to do my shopping. Their stores are big and carry a wide variety of products. I recall the prices being good (although probably not as good as Market Basket). The stores are nice and seem more upscale than a S&S or a Shaw's. I always liked shopping there but I haven't stepped inside the Walpole location in at least a decade. So, very possible that it's not the same store I remember.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:30 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
It's the same but the newer one in Franklin is nicer. The beer and wine departments there have a lot of products from local breweries and vineyards.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:01 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
A big deal? Not sure, but as stated, the Globe business section gave it major coverage.

I don't expect it to wow some shoppers like a Wegman's... don't think that's its intention. Kind of sad to lose Hannaford, as I don't always adapt well to changes; though just down the street, I admittedly didn't shop there often.
Its an improvement over the Hannafords. I hated the fruit and vegetable selections at Hannafords. It was nasty and limited. The Bug Y definitely has a better selection and things are displayed better.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:07 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Hannafords in Easton was replaced by Big Y. I've been to the Big Y in Walpole several times. I've also been to Wegmans in Dedham which I like. But at the end of the day, I grow tired of hopping around to save a few pennies, and continue to shop at Shaws which I like the best.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Its an improvement over the Hannafords. I hated the fruit and vegetable selections at Hannafords. It was nasty and limited. The Bug Y definitely has a better selection and things are displayed better.
Call for Dr Freud?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:51 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Nothing to get very excited about. Will they carry Millie's Pierogi out here though? It's made in WMass. It's about the only thing I'd go to a Big Y for--we had Big Y back in WMass. Cheaper than Stop and Shop at least but management was often clueless.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:01 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Big Y has pretty much no organic products, and their everyday prices are 20%+ higher than Hannaford's for many products. They have good sales with a store card, and even better if you're a devoted customer and "earn" their fake loyalty silver and gold coins, but the tradeoff is that if it's not on sale you're looking at like $5.49 salsa, $6/lb red peppers, and way overpriced deli cheese and meats upwards of $10/lb. It's basically a wildly overpriced Market Basket for the nouveaux upper middle class. Quality is no better than MB or Hannaford but the store is shinier and makes unfounded claims of being a "world-class market." I'll take Artie T any day. Maybe even Whole Foods, they charge WF prices for MB quality products.

Last edited by FCMA; 09-30-2016 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-01-2016, 06:00 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Good to hear.

That Hannaford was somewhat depressing. They closed rather early, plus when I'd shop there late, hardly any shoppees were there. I don't want a market jam packed, but it's nice to see a few other shoppers while there.

I wonder if they'll have a salad bar...the N. Quincy Stop & Shop removed theirs two years ago!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 AM

111 posts, read 112,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Well, actually, it has arrived, no?

Yesterday's Globe had a big story regarding their entrance into the Boston market.

The Hannaford in Quincy is now Big Y. Are Hannaford stores still open in other areas of New England?

So Big Y has already had a presence in recent years in western Massachusetts and I think waaaaaay south of Boston?

How is it? Boar's Head cheeses and meats at the deli? Quality prepared foods? A decent bakery? So-called discount prices?
Stop and Shop's Executive Operations are in Quincy.... but. Where in Quincy is this place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts