Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It just seems like people on this board are always looking for the BEST towns with the best schools but then the complain that they are too white. When people suggest towns that are more diverse they complain that the schools arent good.

I'm not paranoid at all. I just find people fake. People SAY they don't want to live in a town that lacks diversity but that's where they all end up going. I say if you really don't want to live in a town lacking in diversity move to a place like Randolph or Mattapan. Change will not happen unless people make these kinds of moves but no one one ever will.

Right, lets just look at the places with loads of poverty, just keep focusing on extremes.

Because there aren't loads of people moving to places with plenty of diversity like Somerville and Roslindale. I hear those places are getting super cheap because of the diversity there and no one wanting to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:12 AM

344 posts, read 336,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Surprised about Braintree and Weymouth, they both seem to have loads of Asians these days. Milton usually is considered the South Shore. So is Quincy (64%), Randolph (34.9%) and Holbrook (80.8%).

Depends on what part the S Shore. The upper South Shore communities (where the OP would realistically be looking) all went for Obama in 2012. Quincy, Braintree, Milton, Weymouth, Hull, Randolph, Holbrook, Abington, etc. remain Democratic and always have. They probably always will be.

The whiter, leafier, wealthier towns further down (the Scituates, Hanovers, Pembrokes, Duxburies...) have traditionally gone more conservative and still do today. Also remember, there was a widespread displeasure with Obama/Obamacare in that election, which could have skewed things. But either way, the OP wants to remain within 45 minutes of JP (so those towns are out).

President - 2012 Massachusetts Election Results - Boston.com
I have to disagree with you that the upper South Shore is strongly blue. Of the towns that went blue in 2012, those towns generally went blue in smaller margins than other towns. Obama only won Holbrook by 11, Weymouth by 10, Braintree by 4 and Abington by 1. Quincy and Milton were in the 20s, but it's to be expected when the presidential race was almost a rout.

In 2014 Baker won Quincy (by 4.3), Milton (by 1), Weymouth (by 14), Braintree (by 19), Holbrook (by 10), Rockland (by 18) and Abington (by 23).

In 2010 (I can't find percentages, only raw votes and I'm too lazy to do them myself) Baker won Abington, Braintree, Holbrook, Rockland and Weymouth by what look like fairly decent margins.

To top it off, Weymouth had Bob Hedlund (now Mayor) as their state senator from '95 to 2016. His sucessor, Patrick O'Connor, is also a Republican. For reference, there are only 6 (of 40) Republicans in the state senate.

All in all, most of the area seems to be working class "blue dog" Democrats/ moderate Republicans. Maybe not Milton and Quincy, but I'd go so far as to say those other towns may end up being some of the best in the state for Trump (not that he has any chance of winning the state).

Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 AM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Right, lets just look at the places with loads of poverty, just keep focusing on extremes.

Because there aren't loads of people moving to places with plenty of diversity like Somerville and Roslindale. I hear those places are getting super cheap because of the diversity there and no one wanting to move there.

You could throw my hometown of Cambridge in there as well

Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post

You could throw my hometown of Cambridge in there as well
More than a few places. But, er, certain posters like to try to make any place with any number of minorities to be slums... its an association game... you want to be around people of color? Well, how about Lawrence?

Such crud.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
More than a few places. But, er, certain posters like to try to make any place with any number of minorities to be slums... its an association game... you want to be around people of color? Well, how about Lawrence?

Such crud.
The OP asked about south of Boston. There are no nice, diverse areas where it is possible to buy for $350.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The OP asked about south of Boston. There are no nice, diverse areas where it is possible to buy for $350.
And Whatsnext through out Lawrence. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is not South of Boston. So clearly, the conversation expanded and we were addressing that post.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:38 AM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Quote:
And Whatsnext through out Lawrence. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is not South of Boston. So clearly, the conversation expanded and we were addressing that post.
I second that

Old 10-18-2016, 04:48 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Somerville and roslindale are getting cheaper?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Ok fine fall river. That's south.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
I have to disagree with you that the upper South Shore is strongly blue. Of the towns that went blue in 2012, those towns generally went blue in smaller margins than other towns. Obama only won Holbrook by 11, Weymouth by 10, Braintree by 4 and Abington by 1. Quincy and Milton were in the 20s, but it's to be expected when the presidential race was almost a rout.

In 2014 Baker won Quincy (by 4.3), Milton (by 1), Weymouth (by 14), Braintree (by 19), Holbrook (by 10), Rockland (by 18) and Abington (by 23).

In 2010 (I can't find percentages, only raw votes and I'm too lazy to do them myself) Baker won Abington, Braintree, Holbrook, Rockland and Weymouth by what look like fairly decent margins.

To top it off, Weymouth had Bob Hedlund (now Mayor) as their state senator from '95 to 2016. His sucessor, Patrick O'Connor, is also a Republican. For reference, there are only 6 (of 40) Republicans in the state senate.

All in all, most of the area seems to be working class "blue dog" Democrats/ moderate Republicans. Maybe not Milton and Quincy, but I'd go so far as to say those other towns may end up being some of the best in the state for Trump (not that he has any chance of winning the state).
Baker is a liberal, and the only reason he won (and likely won places like Quincy) was because his opponent was a severely flawed candidate (Romney and Weld had ridiculous opponents as well, and won in a similar manner). That's why I figured the 2012 results were more relevant, despite 2014 being more recent.

That Obama won those towns by a 10% or more margin (which would be considered decisive by any political analyst's standards), shows where those communities' true leanings are (nationally Obama only won by 3%).

I do agree that they are a different breed from the Arlington or Lexington liberals, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts