Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM

17 posts, read 26,896 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on what Hyannis is like to live in year-round -- are there things to do year-round and is it a ghost town in the winter? Do you need a car to get around for most errands, or is it fairly walkable?

Also, how bad would commuting be from Hyannis to/from Boston using the bus a couple of times a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 07:05 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Brockton-by-the-sea

Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Hyannis is not commutable to Boston. Especially in the summer, when it typically is about a 3 hour drive.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 AM

17 posts, read 26,896 times
Hasn't the crime gone down significantly in Hyannis over the last couple of years?

Old 03-26-2017, 06:05 PM

190 posts, read 202,306 times
I went to high school on Cape Cod, graduated a long time ago, 40 years ago, but I have gone back to visit now and then. Hyannis is the biggest town on the Cape, and I think a lot of people live year round there. Main St is walkable and I do think you could manage to live there without a car. Biking would be an option too. A lot of places are open year round these days. There is a local bus that goes from Hyannis to Orleans several times a day. I have used it a few times as a visitor to the Cape since I do not drive by choice. The Plymouth and Brockton bus travels from Boston to Hyannis many many times daily, a 90 minute trip. So you can read or sleep, it is not a bad ride. Hyannis and Cape Cod are very safe. There are some drugs, but drugs are in most places and it is easily avoided. If you like salty air as the old song goes, you would enjoy Cape Cod and Hyannis.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteinstein View Post
Hasn't the crime gone down significantly in Hyannis over the last couple of years?
No

They get one group of degenerates off the street and another on just takes their place.

A Hyannis street gang's road to drugs and murder charges - News - capecodtimes.com - Hyannis, MA

Police Uncover Major Drug Ring at Kennedy Shriver House - Breitbart

Hyannis News - News & Information for Hyannis Cape Cod | News for Cape Cod, Hyannis, Centerville, Osterville, Cotuit, Marstons Mills, West Barnstable, Barnstable, Hyannis Port, HyannisPort, Yarmouth, YarmouthPort, Yarmouth Port, Dennis, Mashpee, Sand

Old 03-28-2017, 03:01 AM

461 posts, read 554,711 times
Damn the whole entire Cape sounds like a hellhole! No wonder I didn't like it beyond the seafood restaurants and even then, an amount of them are dives too but good food. Beyond all that when I walked around, looked at the shops.. The most fun was at the hotel pool and eating LOL. Ice Cream I don't recall having there really though but I know it exists. The Cape is no place I'd want to go.. I am just doing my research on it as my mom talked to her friend and she got her all fixated on moving to the Cape. I am not down with it though. I'd rather move to another state I think a tad more landlocked even than live on the cape.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:02 AM

461 posts, read 554,711 times
Bourne also seems like a pit too and I don't think I'd like the upper Cape area either much.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:36 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
Damn the whole entire Cape sounds like a hellhole! No wonder I didn't like it beyond the seafood restaurants and even then, an amount of them are dives too but good food. Beyond all that when I walked around, looked at the shops.. The most fun was at the hotel pool and eating LOL. Ice Cream I don't recall having there really though but I know it exists. The Cape is no place I'd want to go.. I am just doing my research on it as my mom talked to her friend and she got her all fixated on moving to the Cape. I am not down with it though. I'd rather move to another state I think a tad more landlocked even than live on the cape.
This is a problem in any seasonal area. During the off-season many of the locals live in poverty because there's little work to be found and that leads to drug and alcohol abuse. People are unfairly picking on the Cape.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:28 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post

You were in the wrong places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts