Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 AM

279 posts, read 316,905 times

Advertisements

My family is newer to Massachusetts, and we have a daughter is will be elementary-age next year. We purchased in Natick in the Lilja district (<1mi away), which at the time (and still showing on Zillow) was a 9 at great schools. In fact, it's still showing as a 9 on Zillow When I decided to look today, I noticed that Lilja has plunged to a 5 Looking further into it, it would seem to be based primarily on test scores, particularly math. The MA DOE seems to show Lilja as performing slightly under the town of Natick, and about equal to the state. Lilja is rated a "Level 1" school by MA DOE.

That said, Johnson elementary, which is about 2 mi away, also in Natick scores very well in math, and is rated a 10 at great schools. Not knowing how districting works in MA, Will my daughter be able to attend Johnson, which funnily enough has a far smaller student population? Will I need to arrange transportation, or will she likely be able to take the bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 AM

31 posts, read 28,126 times
I'd ask myself if anything substantive has really changed. It's not like the day the ranking went from a 9 to a 5 the school started teaching any differently! That is the problem with some rankings, GreatSchools in particular: they seemingly put a heavy weight on the most recent year's test scores and therefore can be pretty volatile year-to-year. A school in my city went from an 8 -> 4 -> 6 over the course of two years. I seriously doubt the teachers, curriculum or student population changed much at all in that time.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:18 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post

Not knowing how districting works in MA, Will my daughter be able to attend Johnson...

No, typically schools are designated by neighborhood, you don't get to choose.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:13 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I find it hard to believe that anything legitimate occurred that caused a high performing school to suddenly become a terrible school. Talk to people who actually have kids in the school system.

I don't know how it works in Natick, but some towns have "buffer zones," where parents can express a preference for one school and may get it, depending on what the enrollment is at the schools. I have heard of people in districts that will allow you to put your kid in another school if you provide the transportation, but I don't know that some perceived notion that the students at the other school are just smarter will be a sufficient reason.

If you are on Facebook, there must be a group called Natick Parents or Natick Moms or something like that. There may also be pages for the particular schools. Those groups often have a lot of people in there who are happy to give all their thoughts about the schools.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
My family is newer to Massachusetts, and we have a daughter is will be elementary-age next year. We purchased in Natick in the Lilja district (<1mi away), which at the time (and still showing on Zillow) was a 9 at great schools. In fact, it's still showing as a 9 on Zillow When I decided to look today, I noticed that Lilja has plunged to a 5 Looking further into it, it would seem to be based primarily on test scores, particularly math. The MA DOE seems to show Lilja as performing slightly under the town of Natick, and about equal to the state. Lilja is rated a "Level 1" school by MA DOE.

That said, Johnson elementary, which is about 2 mi away, also in Natick scores very well in math, and is rated a 10 at great schools. Not knowing how districting works in MA, Will my daughter be able to attend Johnson, which funnily enough has a far smaller student population? Will I need to arrange transportation, or will she likely be able to take the bus?
Greatschools - the black hole integer that people allow to dictate their lives. I prefer Niche, it's more balanced and transparent. Greatschools really just measures socioeconomics.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:02 PM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
Please stop. Take a deep breath. You are reading too much into this. Your daughter will be fine. No, you cannot switch elementary schools because great schools lowered it's score. It means nothing. Send her to her districted school where she will go to with the other kids from your neighborhood.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
When the Westborough district dropped from a 10 to a 9 on GreatSchools.com, I moved. Now it's back up to a 10, and I'm regretting the decision. I'm looking to move back, but the agent fees and closing costs are starting to take a toll. Thank God I'm upper-middle class.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 PM

92 posts, read 81,986 times
You're not going to be upper middle class for long if you keep making big ticket financial decisions based on every school ranking change.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:02 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
Please stop. Take a deep breath. You are reading too much into this. Your daughter will be fine. No, you cannot switch elementary schools because great schools lowered it's score. It means nothing. Send her to her districted school where she will go to with the other kids from your neighborhood.
This.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunForBeer View Post
You're not going to be upper middle class for long if you keep making big ticket financial decisions based on every school ranking change.
But I only want what's best for my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts