Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I know many from Brockton (some who went to Brockton High), who graduated up until the late 90s. All turned out to be normal, well-rounded people. Has Brockton really gotten that much worse over the years? I thought it was even improving through the mid-2000s.
Many of the most undesirable people from Boston and those of very low income began moving to Brockton right as your friends stopped graduating. The early 2000s after the massive rent increases and crime drop in Boston in the late 1990s but yea if you looks at the free and reduced price lunch population in brockton it went from 45% of kids getting free and reduced price lunch in 1998 to about 80% now. Crime is also higher as is drug abuse. Brockton has certainly declined. That's why they've installed shotspotter technology in the past few years, sought federal assistance in undertaking gang crackdowns and have held many a diversity form. Brockton is the only city in MA that is blacker than it is white and that mostly happens since 2000. Between 2000 and 2006 alone Brocktons black population DOUBLED. And there have been significant growing pains.

People on here don't seem to see that she's just upset there's not many truly diverse (less than 80% white) towns in Eastern Mass that are decent, the ones there are (Stoughton/Milton/Malden/Quincy) are unaffordable to her but it literally only a handful of towns to choose from-She could have looked at Framingham IMO. The assumption here is that "a majority minority area is bound I be a hell hole so what could she possibly be looking for???" That's the WHOLE PROBLEM.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
The article is making a point that difficult housing market is more difficult for African americans. Not really a Boston thing but just a reality. It's not an assault on you and your town, just an informational piece. You can just read it without getting personally offended by her decisions. All too often people want to "call BS" or "find it unbelievable that blacks/latinos actually have a harder one doing x y or z" it just sounds tone deaf, arrogant, snobbish, reactionary and reeeks of that Boston racism people speak of that White Massachusetts denizens vehemently deny. But as usual we have limited introspect and even more limited sense of perspective.thisbis also not a critique of everyone on this board. This article wasn't even heavy on the racism aspect people wanna call her a race baiter and blame the globe for reporting news...attitudes like these are widely held in the towns she's seeking to avoid, that's why she's seeking to avoid them.

And for all those saying it economic and not racial which is partially true. Why does Massachusetts have such a formidable racial division from an economic standpoint. Much more so than statesbwih similarly educated black populations (mid Atlantic)...or than states with larger middle classes(sun belt). Just relax and seriously try to answer that rather than rushing to play defense for good ol Mass..for once. I love my home state but our refusal to consider the outcomes of provinicalbways WILL hamper growth-it already has. That's why we're never leading in Median household income and are always behind MD NJ CT (some times NH and AK) because other states do a better job with inclusivity and attract more varied small businesses.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Strange, but I read a similar article the other day but I can't find it now! I think it was on BBC news and it pertained to the entire US.

They said that in the south there was less segregation in housing but it was still a problem. Banks didn't give mortgages to blacks and realtors didn't show them any areas outside of black neighborhoods. They said it was worse in the north because we don't have as many blacks to begin with.

I do think that woman could have done better though. Maybe a condo, but she said she wanted a yard for her kid. Brockton sounds like a terrible choice. Horrible place for any kid to grow up. It's dangerous and has a druggie atmosphere. What is she going to do when it's time for him to go to school? She must be paying now for daycare. Maybe she can afford private school. I think she should have gone for a condo in a better city or town and just take him to a park to play.

Edited: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35255835

"None of the said lots shall be conveyed to, used, owned nor occupied by Negroes as owner or tenants," it read. Other groups, including Jews, were also written into these kind of contracts.

(I read it on the BBC the other day but it's from last year--found it by googling.)

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-19-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 PM

550 posts, read 680,070 times
She definitely could have done better than Brockton if she would have settled for a smaller place in a better neighborhood. People sometimes have to sacrifice amenities for better location.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:54 PM

787 posts, read 780,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
She definitely could have done better than Brockton if she would have settled for a smaller place in a better neighborhood. People sometimes have to sacrifice amenities for better location.
Yup, it's hard to get a nice place with a decent sized yard, close proximity to Boston, and a good school system. You pretty much have to compromise on at least two, unless you're really rich.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:20 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
Some people just dont do their real estate research before buying or get swayed by a realtor into a decision.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:22 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The article is making a point that difficult housing market is more difficult for African americans.
I don't follow the logic. Anywhere I've lived in metro-Boston, it's been pretty race-agnostic. People care about your value system, not your skin color. A single mother with a real job and well-behaved children is welcome anywhere. People distinguish based on socioeconomic class, not race. Those same people will fight Section 8 housing to the death regardless of the race of the people who would be living in the housing.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Agree. When does it end with eveything being more difficult for non white people.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM

374 posts, read 654,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Thoughts on this article:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business....html#comments

My overall thoughts are that today's MA real estate market is hard for anyone especially a single parent. 90k is a good salary but when you are alone with a child apparently it's not enough to find a decent place to live.

On another note, maybe this article will give Brockton a wake up call to try and clean themselves up a bit. I also can't imagine all neighborhoods in brockton are terrible.

I feel bad for this mother in that she is in a bad spot. She makes a good living but again she's on her own...not sure what happened with her child's father...but this is what happens when people get divorced or go it on their own sometimes. I also find it surprising that she could find no where else to live besides Brockton and WHY did she feel the need to buy a house? Why not a condo somewhere? Seems like a matter of, I'm entitled to this regardless of my circumstances.

I just think this goes beyond race...I think it's something many people are feeling black or white, single or not.
Brockton has always been stigmatized by the people in the area. I can't believe that this thread has Brockton as getting worse! The area is nice. She is probably in walking distance to Cleveland Pond. She has a better school system than the one found in Abington. They will treat her right in Brockton.

IT is better, now. The place is fine.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM

Brockton is getting better? How?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts