Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:28 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The thing about Baker is he tried to purge the party of all conservatives. These were far from extremists he targeted, they just didn't adhere to his "yes men" views of who should be representing the party. Also on social issues he is WAAY left.
I think that's why he's so popular here. Unlike the more liberal areas on the West Coast, MA tends to be socially liberal, less "in your face" and more fiscally conservative. Baker fits that description pretty well. I mostly like him and I have a hard time seeing anyone beat him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think that's why he's so popular here. Unlike the more liberal areas on the West Coast, MA tends to be socially liberal, less "in your face" and more fiscally conservative. Baker fits that description pretty well. I mostly like him and I have a hard time seeing anyone beat him.
I disagree, those social issues are pretty much off the radar for most voters here outside of maybe the primary elections. He's popular primarily because of the continued good performance of the state economy, has held off on tax increases, and that his management skills have been a breath of fresh air considering who he replaced.

But regardless of which party or ideology you come from, what he did in fighting against his own party was very wrong and it may come back to bight him depending on how strong of a candidate the Dems put up. These were the same people who put their trust in him and without their support he would not have been elected. I don't think they will be there for him next time around. We shall see...

Last edited by massnative71; 06-14-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
I disagree, those social issues are pretty much off the radar for most voters here outside of maybe the primary elections. He's popular primarily because of the continued good performance of the state economy, has held off on tax increases, and that his management skills has been a breath of fresh air considering who he replaced.

But regardless of which party or ideology you come from, what he did in fighting against his own party was very wrong and it may come back to bight him depending on how strong of a candidate the Dems put up. These were the same people who put their trust in him and without their support he would not have been elected. I don't think they will be there for him next time around. We shall see...
You're right about everything in the first paragraph- I just meant in terms of support from the left in addition to Republicans. The last few polls I've seen have his approval ratings at around 70-75%. The highest in the nation in many cases. While you're right about management, the economy, and taxes, he definitely has earned some respect from the other side of the aisle for his support of the LGBTQ community, Opioids, etc. I'm typically left of center, but barring a major scandal before the election, he's got my vote.

I don't see him losing a lot of Republican support based on what the alternative might be alone. Baker is popular, he has the support of many people (inc. myself) who voted for his opponent in the last election. If MA Republicans try to go with another candidate, they could end up in a worse position than they're in now (another Dem). I don't think they're happy, but I think they're going to be hesitant to move to push him out.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:29 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't see him losing a lot of Republican support based on what the alternative might be alone. Baker is popular, he has the support of many people (inc. myself) who voted for his opponent in the last election. If MA Republicans try to go with another candidate, they could end up in a worse position than they're in now (another Dem). I don't think they're happy, but I think they're going to be hesitant to move to push him out.
It's not so much MA Republicans, but the forces on the ground that got him elected in the first place. Roughly only 10% or so of MA voters are registered in Republican party, and the state GOP generally can't get out of its own way. The majority of the electorate is Independent (or Unenrolled), and no Republican can win a statewide election without their vote. Baker beat Coakley not with the GOP, but with a huge army on the ground of conservative grassroots types who tend to be far much more ideologically based than loyal towards a certain party. They reluctantly backed Baker as the one who would best represent their causes, but once he won the election he pretty much flipped the bird to them. Rather then pump money to rebuild the pitiful state of the party, he spent much of it on an attempt to oust his "friends" while replacing them with party "yes men".

Baker is the incumbent now, so beating him will be much tougher than in 2014. Like I said, it all depends on how strong a candidate the Dems can run against him. Baker will probably slide through the primaries, that is no question. But let's say the Democrats come out with some formidable candidate (I'm not talking Maura Healy here), Baker will still have some serious campaigning to do. The paltry GOP alone will not do it for him. He needs the troops on the ground. Who will he call on now? Republicans will of course still vote him over a Democrat; but you will not see the same amount of energy out there donating time and money, making those phone calls and knocking on doors to keep that needed Independent vote.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Um, wrong thread? And uh, "by partisan"????
Yeah. That should be "buy partisan".

Old 06-15-2017, 05:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Baker is the incumbent now, so beating him will be much tougher than in 2014. Like I said, it all depends on how strong a candidate the Dems can run against him. Baker will probably slide through the primaries, that is no question. But let's say the Democrats come out with some formidable candidate (I'm not talking Maura Healy here), Baker will still have some serious campaigning to do. The paltry GOP alone will not do it for him. He needs the troops on the ground. Who will he call on now? Republicans will of course still vote him over a Democrat; but you will not see the same amount of energy out there donating time and money, making those phone calls and knocking on doors to keep that needed Independent vote.
I can't see any Democrat getting more than 45% of the vote unless the local economy has a big glitch.

In the long term, Massachusetts has the same ticking time bombs that are already crushing many other affluent blue states. Unfunded pension liability. The impending flood of safety net services from the aging Boomers who largely will have no accumulated wealth and no income beyond a Social Security check. Medicaid is already 1/4 of the state budget and elderly long term care is 30% of that. Double the amount of elderly poor warehoused in nursing homes and you have a real budget buster.

If Congress and Trump follow through on their plan, Massachusetts has an immediate budget crisis. You either bump the state income tax and sales tax 20% to 30% or you slash services. If that happens before November 6, Baker is going to get the blame and have a tough time getting elected. No incumbent governor is going to survive a 7% state income tax and 8% sales tax. As an alternative, no incumbent governor is going to survive a 30% cut in services. The 10 poor cities in Massachusetts collapse if you do that.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 AM

39 posts, read 31,720 times
I probably wouldn't have had anything negative to say about Baker until I learned about the details of the proposed Spectra/Enbridge gas compressor station in Weymouth. Baker is playing politics in a big way here and really treating the people of Weymouth and the South Shore like they are totally insignifigant for some sort of political gain on his part. And it doesn't end in Weymouth because once the compressor station goes through then the rest of the pipeline will need to roll through the state and many more towns will be impacted. And Baker will have the same dopey grin on his face. I don't k ow - maybe he owns Enbridge stock?

It's really despicable that he is acting so helpless in this particular battle (while taking every chance he can to pound his chest about joining in with other governors on the Paris agreement (a federal issue) and creating "green communities") Makes me wonder where else he is selling out the people and environment of Massachusetts. There is a reason the people of the South Shore ask "Where's Charlie?"

If that project goes through and he never speaks up I will never vote for him again. He will pretty much lose a giant chunk of the south shore. And if that compressor station ever has a serious event? (Which happens a lot with compressor stations.) He will go down in history as the governor who turned a blind eye while MA families had their neighborhood transformed into an "incineration zone"...hopefully the multi million dollar Fore River Bridge doesn't go down with it, or the whole south shore gets shut off from Boston. That's quite a legacy, Charlie.

Yeah, I am NOT a fan of Charlie Baker. In fact, this is the first time in my life I can tell you the names of the candidates for governor a year out from the election.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:31 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
My issue with Baker is that he is so wishy-washy and doesn't give an opinion or take a stand on anything without being forced to, and even then, he's vague and evasive. I get he's in a tough spot as a Republican Governor in a blue state, but little things like only answering whether or not he would veto the state rep pay raise until after the vote took place and he knew his veto would get overturned are telling. I even get not supporting Trump as his party's nominee- but at some point you need to stand for something.

He's politics as usual, which is sad considering he had the potential to be big.

I admit I don't know as much about the compressor as I should since I grew up in Weymouth, but he needs to be careful to not alienate the south shore more than he has, because they were a huge part of why he won.

As much sway as the Polito family have in the Worcester burbs, they can't cancel out the effects of losing Weymouth, Braintree and the like in the next election.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:54 PM

39 posts, read 31,720 times
Default Baker IS wishy washy - but purposefully so

This is what's happening with Weymouth - he won't take a stand. Every local official and representative opposes this project for numerous reasons - but Baker claims that he can't take a stance against it because it is a federal issue - a mandate from FERC that he can't oppose. Meanwhile, it's STATE agencies that approve the permits for air quality, etc. So Baker could certainly influence those. But his permit cheifs are actually letting Enbridge name their own emission levels. They are saying that the compressor's toxic output will be well within state standards, which may be true, but when combined with the background emissions that already exist in the Fore River Area the air quality will be truly toxic and violate state standards.. But Baker doesn't show any interest. Just says his hands are tied. But he speaks up when Trump pulls out of the Paris agreement (a federal issue) and challenges health care reform (also a national issue). So why the double standard?

I don't live in Weymouth, but I live nearby. I think Weymouth gets a terrible wrap. It has some amazing history and environmental signifigance. The people I meet from Weymouth are all really nice, kind people who are already carrying way more than their fair share of industrial and fossil fuel infrastructure, especially in tbe environmentally signifigant Fore River Bridge area.

So why does Baker play dumb here? I think it's all purposefully. He's dumb like a fox. I don't know what his end game is. Profits for Enbridge? Some sort of long term play for a national appointment and he wants to keep certain people happy? Who knows. But it's a shame that it will be the children of Weymouth who have to breathe benzene so he can have whatever political win he'a aiming for.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:45 AM

34 posts, read 32,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachykeen917 View Post
This is what's happening with Weymouth - he won't take a stand. Every local official and representative opposes this project for numerous reasons - but Baker claims that he can't take a stance against it because it is a federal issue - a mandate from FERC that he can't oppose. Meanwhile, it's STATE agencies that approve the permits for air quality, etc. So Baker could certainly influence those. But his permit cheifs are actually letting Enbridge name their own emission levels. They are saying that the compressor's toxic output will be well within state standards, which may be true, but when combined with the background emissions that already exist in the Fore River Area the air quality will be truly toxic and violate state standards.. But Baker doesn't show any interest. Just says his hands are tied. But he speaks up when Trump pulls out of the Paris agreement (a federal issue) and challenges health care reform (also a national issue). So why the double standard?

I don't live in Weymouth, but I live nearby. I think Weymouth gets a terrible wrap. It has some amazing history and environmental signifigance. The people I meet from Weymouth are all really nice, kind people who are already carrying way more than their fair share of industrial and fossil fuel infrastructure, especially in tbe environmentally signifigant Fore River Bridge area.

So why does Baker play dumb here? I think it's all purposefully. He's dumb like a fox. I don't know what his end game is. Profits for Enbridge? Some sort of long term play for a national appointment and he wants to keep certain people happy? Who knows. But it's a shame that it will be the children of Weymouth who have to breathe benzene so he can have whatever political win he'a aiming for.
I looked this up and it's pretty disheartening. Especially as my SO and I consider Braintree/South Shore. I wonder what we can do to stop it. I wouldn't mind if the gas was going to MA, but it seems to be mostly export production
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts