Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,636 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My spouse was offered a job in Woonsocket, RI and we are starting our initial search for homes. We are not from the area and wanted to know which area would be the best for us.

The details:

-Parents are early 40's with one apprehensive 4th grader in tow
-Have some experience living in urban areas (Chicago, MPLS, Miami) but have become suburban and enjoy backyard cookouts, walking around the 'hood while being close (within 3hours) to adventurous and interesting places.
-Schools are very important
-Would love some diversity though
-Budget is $400-500K
-Looking ahead, college choice and in-state pricing is preferential so Massachusetts makes sense here for greater potential selection

From our initial search we like what we hear about Medfield and Barrington schools, but aren't sure what to make of the whole RI v Mass thing. Are the schools/quality of life really that disparate or is this some petty geo-psychological warfare stemming from a long standing feud between neighboring states?

Any help and insight would be welcomed and appreciated,

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 04:53 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
I think you're putting the cart before the horse a bit in terms of the college choice factor. Not so sure UMass is so much better than U.R.I. and you've got quite a bit of time before you even know what kind of college you'll be looking at.

In general, RI is cheaper than MA, but overall the schools are not as good. However, I know that there are some very good districts in RI, I just don't know which ones they are. I'm sure there are others here or in the RI forum who can tell you.

Medfield is a great place with excellent schools. I have friends who live there. (Although in full disclosure, they're moving to the city as soon as their younger kid graduates HS. They moved there when their first child was young and it was in their budget and now they're stuck. But they really like the city, so that's a different issue. It sounds like you're quite happy with suburbia.)

I wonder, though, why go as far as Medfield? I think I'd look in places like Wrentham or Franklin - they're closer to Woonsocket and they will also have more housing in your price range. You're lucky in the sense that if you are looking to commute to Woonsocket, your radius isn't from Boston/Cambridge, and that brings in some more affordable towns.

Some of the key considerations are what your potential commuting needs are and what sorts of things you want in the town you're living in. If you might be commuting to Boston then I understand looking at Medfield. If you can work anywhere or will be working out of the home or not working, then I'd stick with the Woonsocket radius. (Unless you want to be close to Boston or maybe Providence for other reasons.)

As far as diversity, well, in that area there isn't tons of it. But that sweet spot of diversity with good schools and lots of things to do is elusive.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:01 PM

317 posts, read 331,945 times
I just looked and it seems Barrington is the #1 school district in RI. It also seems they have pretty nice houses in your budget. Unless you are getting a 2 bed in Medfield I don't think your budget is realistic. I would go with Barrington.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
I just looked and it seems Barrington is the #1 school district in RI. It also seems they have pretty nice houses in your budget. Unless you are getting a 2 bed in Medfield I don't think your budget is realistic. I would go with Barrington.
Usually, East Greenwich and Barrington are #1 and #1A for school systems.

Personally, it would be a no-brainer. Do I come home from work to Medfield and mow the grass? Or do I come home to Barrington or East Greenwich and go sailing?

For Woonsocket, East Greenwich might be easier access via I-295 to 146. Barrington to 146 isn't Boston traffic but those last 3 or 4 miles of I-195 and the couple of miles on I-95N are congested during rush hour.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:36 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Medfield has great schools but that budget won't work there and it's a little far from Woonsocket.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
I would look in Franklin, Wrentham, Norfolk, also Cumberland and Lincoln, RI. Medfield and Barrington would both be long commutes.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 PM

317 posts, read 331,945 times
You could also live wherever (that's safe and fits your other criteria) and do private school. With only one child it might work out to less $.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Barrington has so much more going for it than Medfield if you do not work in the Boston area. It has the coast, a town beach, and one of the most beautiful bike trails (East Bay Bike Path) in New England. Far more shopping options in its center. Public school system is very good.

I am assuming the commute to Woonsocket is for CVS. The only issue against Barrington might be the commute as the best route would be the highway 195 to 95 to 146 to 99. This path however goes through downtown Providence which would result in potential traffic on the Rte 195 stretch into Providence. There are some alternatives via surface roads to avoid downtown Providence but they add more time so they be a wash.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Franklin would do very nicely.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
If you want good schools you won't really find diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts