Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

Here is something that I have been thinking about and I'm at a loss to understand it except to catalog it as an agenda.

We all know how the AG Maura Healey turned thousands of law abiding citizens into potential felons virtually overnight when she signed an order that turned a legal to buy product into an illegal one.
Assault Weapons Ban Enforcement

Citing public safety she was able to turn once legal to own, buy and sell so called assault weapons like the sporting AR15 rifle illegal. She did this on her own with no public input and no vote with her signature. That is a lot of power for one person to have and her decision has cast a net of confusion over the shooting sports community and Police departments.

On the flip side we all voted for the legalization of marijuana this past November and it passed yet many towns including mine are now struggling with how to implement this new law. It is like the bill was put up to vote and they are totally surprised that it passed and now they don't know what to do.
It seems like many towns are taking the "not in my backyard" stance and they are carefully and slowly moving through the process of deciding permits, zoning etc..
In a town near me the decision to allow a pot shop in town is still a year away and then the permit process adds another 4 months.

Guns and Pot, both are very controversial but I think it is somewhat of a conundrum how one person can ban a certain style of firearm without any public input overnight while the people voted for pot shops and our elected are dragging their feet in implementing the law?

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Not sure I see a correlation between the two. I agree with you that there are issues surrounding both, but not enough to relate one to the other.

First issue, is still dragging feet through the court system and I haven't seen an update in a while. Healey might be out of office before we get some resolution on that.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Healey might be out of office before we get some resolution on that.
We can only hope...

Old 07-17-2017, 10:11 AM

9,884 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
We can only hope...
...that she takes the Governor's oath of office??

running and ducking, running and ducking.......

Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
One is controversial because it is designed to kill with great efficiency.
One is controversial because some freedom hating fascists tied it to 'dangerous men of color' in the 1930s.

Marijuana is, generally speaking, less contentious as the outlier cases of abuse are "underachieving children" and not Sandy Hook. The optics are distinctly different.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Guns kill people (I know, I know, PEOPLE kill people) but it's guns in the hands of people. Guns are ok for hunting but if someone is that scared, then make sure your doors are locked and have an alarm system and motion lights on your house. One thing that I like about our state is that it has sensible gun laws and hopefully, dangerous guns can't easily get into the hands of crazy people.

Marijuana--medicinal, yes. For the fun of it? Maybe. But do we really need one more substance that can get a person high when they drive? We already have people causing accidents due to being high on drugs, why do we need more? Main thing is what I've heard from places where marijuana is legal--smoke-filled air for people to breathe and the places that sell it attract certain unsavoury types. I've smoked it so I'm not opposed to it but smoke it at home and then don't get into a car and drive. From what I've read, I don't blame people for not wanting a place that sells marijuana located near their house. Read some of the forums in the states where's it's been legalized.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
One is controversial because it is designed to kill with great efficiency.
One is controversial because some freedom hating fascists tied it to 'dangerous men of color' in the 1930s.

Marijuana is, generally speaking, less contentious as the outlier cases of abuse are "underachieving children" and not Sandy Hook. The optics are distinctly different.
WRONG! If you smoke pot, you can't order fast food and you hit cute little kids on pink bicycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCYDrur_WI

Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Here is something that I have been thinking about and I'm at a loss to understand it except to catalog it as an agenda.

We all know how the AG Maura Healey turned thousands of law abiding citizens into potential felons virtually overnight when she signed an order that turned a legal to buy product into an illegal one.
Assault Weapons Ban Enforcement

Citing public safety she was able to turn once legal to own, buy and sell so called assault weapons like the sporting AR15 rifle illegal. She did this on her own with no public input and no vote with her signature. That is a lot of power for one person to have and her decision has cast a net of confusion over the shooting sports community and Police departments.

On the flip side we all voted for the legalization of marijuana this past November and it passed yet many towns including mine are now struggling with how to implement this new law. It is like the bill was put up to vote and they are totally surprised that it passed and now they don't know what to do.
It seems like many towns are taking the "not in my backyard" stance and they are carefully and slowly moving through the process of deciding permits, zoning etc..
In a town near me the decision to allow a pot shop in town is still a year away and then the permit process adds another 4 months.

Guns and Pot, both are very controversial but I think it is somewhat of a conundrum how one person can ban a certain style of firearm without any public input overnight while the people voted for pot shops and our elected are dragging their feet in implementing the law?

Your thoughts?
Pot law is unpopular with Mass. politicians. They don't care what the people voted for. This is deliberate. They are purposely dragging their feet.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:14 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
On one hand you have an overzealous AG abusing her power in the name of judicial activism, while in the process contradicting the law itself.

On the other, individual towns are going about it in different ways to regulate a new industry (just as they already do with alcohol and such). For better or worse, MA has strong local control where local cities and towns have great control over their own destiny.

I really see no link between the two.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 PM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
The link is more of a conundrum and questionable.

The issues of both guns and pot are up for debate. We had a chance to vote on pot and when approved I think it surprised our elected and now they are scrambling/ delaying to try and figure out how to handle it.

We did not have a chance to vote on the firearms issue but instead one person took it upon herself to disrupt and derail what was one day a legally bought and sold item and the next day it was not.

The so called "assault weapons" that she banned are used in very few crimes and murders but legalizing pot will lead to more distracted drivers and more accidents on already dangerous roads.

One person can rewrite a law overnight but when another is voted in they are dragging their feet to implement it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts