Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 03:10 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from Boston to Lowell with my girlfriend. We are mid 20s. She works in watertown and I will be working in Salem, NH so this is about half way. We want a quiet building that would be full of families and old people

Right now I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in Roslindale. It's a fantastic neighborhood and the rent is only $100-200 more than the two beds we're seeing in Lowell. She lives up the street in Mattapan which isn't a great area and we're looking for someplace more like Rozzie.

the top contender is on park street in the belvediere neighborhood. I've heard good things about the neighborhood. When I went there in person the spot seems right on the border between a high income and low income neighborhoods.

the other place we're looking is on princeton street near the market basket. hard to get a read on this neighborhood just passing through in the day time.

Please let me know anyone who has personal experience in these areas and recommend anywhere that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:33 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
You're on the right track. The Belvedere neighborhood is extremely safe/low crime while providing relatively easy access to the downtown area.

Secondary areas: immediate downtown area (east of Dutton St.), 'the highlands' (preferably the western streets near the Chelmsford line), north-west side (neighborhoods abutting the state forest/Tyingsborough line).

Areas to avoid, if possible: 'the acre' (west, north-west of downtown), the section west of 110 and southeast of 'the highlands'.

Source: lived there for 7 years and inhabited multiple neighborhoods. Belvedere was provided the best balance, though the nicer lofts downtown provide quality living and better walkability - particularly in the colder months.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
You're on the right track. The Belvedere neighborhood is extremely safe/low crime while providing relatively easy access to the downtown area.

Secondary areas: immediate downtown area (east of Dutton St.), 'the highlands' (preferably the western streets near the Chelmsford line), north-west side (neighborhoods abutting the state forest/Tyingsborough line).

Areas to avoid, if possible: 'the acre' (west, north-west of downtown), the section west of 110 and southeast of 'the highlands'.

Source: lived there for 7 years and inhabited multiple neighborhoods. Belvedere was provided the best balance, though the nicer lofts downtown provide quality living and better walkability - particularly in the colder months.

Thanks, Shrewsburried.

you are saying to avoid the area around Stevens street ? It's funny because driving through that area looked nicer than parts of Belvedere. The area around high street looked a bit run down to me. Once I crossed Nesmith St to the east of there it looks really nice single family homes

I think the place on park st should be a good mix of affordability and a quiet neighborhood. Noisy, rude neighbors and lack of amenities are the main concern. I doubt the crime in lowell would be worse than in boston

Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Lowell to Watertown sounds like an absolutely miserable commute.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Lowell to Watertown sounds like an absolutely miserable commute.
Fair point, but she is working later shift and would avoid rush hour.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:00 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Thanks, Shrewsburried.

you are saying to avoid the area around Stevens street ? It's funny because driving through that area looked nicer than parts of Belvedere. The area around high street looked a bit run down to me. Once I crossed Nesmith St to the east of there it looks really nice single family homes

I think the place on park st should be a good mix of affordability and a quiet neighborhood. Noisy, rude neighbors and lack of amenities are the main concern. I doubt the crime in lowell would be worse than in boston
Like any city, there's some variation neighborhood to neighborhood. Stevens St. is essentially the fringe of the Highlands neighborhood, so depending on where you are along it, it ranges from tolerable to good.

As for your comments on Belvedere, your assessment is more or less correct. Few 'locals' would really consider rt.38/Nesmith to be inclusive to the Belvedere neighborhood, regardless of what listing agents might claim. Belvedere borders are, roughly, directly west of Nesmith/38 and north of Crawley stadium / MarketBasket plaza.

The apartment complex on Park is in good spot, but be mindful of how busy that 38/133 intersection can get (i.e., loud). I'd personally try to avoid rentals units right on 133 due to road noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts