Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 AM

235 posts, read 263,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Then again, you can always just hire people to plow your driveway and shovel walkways
Or buy a snowblower. I shoveled for years, then when I turned 40, decided to invest in a snowblower because my back wasn't what it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:16 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
For less snow, generally stay near the coast. You can certainly get 12+ inch snowstorms south of NYC -- they are in no way unheard of in Philly and DC. I haven't really found that Boston gets more snow than NYC, Philly or DC -- it depends on where the storms hit - sometimes they hit down there and pewter out by the time they get up here, and sometimes they miss those cities and hit up here. It's more luck -- I remember a few years back when this area got hammered, but that was unusual. The last two winters we really haven't had that much snow.

If you want to visit Portland, ME, why not move there? It's on the coast, and it's much cheaper than MA.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:22 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I think I'd target the cape ann area.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I would as well.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That coincides with my earlier recommendation of Gloucester but expands it to more towns such as Essex, Rockport, maybe Ipswich. There is less snow in that area than I've ever seen in MA. You are north so you could get to Portland--not for dinner probably, but to stay overnight. You'd be somewhat rural and it's a beautiful seaside area. Lots of things to do, nice restaurants and arts scene. Touristy in summer, but you deal with it.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That coincides with my earlier recommendation of Gloucester but expands it to more towns such as Essex, Rockport, maybe Ipswich. There is less snow in that area than I've ever seen in MA. You are north so you could get to Portland--not for dinner probably, but to stay overnight. You'd be somewhat rural and it's a beautiful seaside area. Lots of things to do, nice restaurants and arts scene. Touristy in summer, but you deal with it.
Those other towns sound good, maybe Hamilton, too. I don't know about Gloucester, though. I know the OP has boys, but remember the "Gloucester Pregnancy Pact"'? We had a thread about this at the time it happened and it was on 60 Minutes. I think there was a made for TV movie about it as well.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:21 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Those other towns sound good, maybe Hamilton, too. I don't know about Gloucester, though. I know the OP has boys, but remember the "Gloucester Pregnancy Pact"'? We had a thread about this at the time it happened and it was on 60 Minutes. I think there was a made for TV movie about it as well.
Good point. I had forgotten about that. There is some grittiness to Gloucester. Although I was there a few weeks ago and they have made their boulevard (where the fishermans statue is located) even more attractive with flower beds and greenery.

Well, Hamilton, Wenham, Rowley--there are a load of beautiful towns in that area. Anecdotally, I've heard that Rockport and maybe Essex can be sort of "townie", meaning that families have lived there for years and years and it can be hard for newcomers to fit in. Don't know how true it is, but I have heard that said.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Is there a reason you're not considering southern NH or Portland itself? Both are more affordable. Sure, they're further north, but if you stay close to the coast then snow will not be noticeably more. My brother and SIL live outside of Portland and most years we get around the same amount of snow. They also have a nice 3 bed/1 bath where they pay less for their mortgage than I pay for rent on one bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment in a grungier suburban neighborhood.

If jobs aren't holding you to Boston and you are looking for a bit more space and less of the eastern Mass rat race, I'd recommend the Portland area - even on up to Brunswick.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 AM

307 posts, read 1,589,551 times
We will have 2 out of 4 left at home thus our willingness to downsize to a 3 bedroom. Both will be starting highschool....they are twins. I appreciate the town specific recommendations!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:55 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,551 times
Can someone tell me what Title V is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts