Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 22,805 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I grew up in southern RI and then lived in Westport, MA for a number of years. We relocated to Florida and are now considering moving back to be closer to family. We are young adults with two young children (3 and 5), and can spend up to around $800k on a house. Work isn't an issue.

Important to us:
  • Schools must be good. We dont need best of the best, but good school systems is a must.
  • Walkability. We really want somewhere that has some sort of a town center thats walkable (similar to Salem). This is very important to us. Just having SOMETHING to do that's local and not having to drive far for everything.
  • Not quaint. We do not want to live in a place thats anything like Westport. No driving 20 minutes just to get to a super market, etc.
  • Decent sized properties and an construction of a new home. We do not want to live in an area where houses are on top of each other (1 acre lots sizes are fine), and we also want to be able to move into something relatively modern/new or just go with new construction for our price range (2,500+ sq ft)
  • We want to be somewhere south of Boston where the MBTA is available.

The only place that comes to mind for me is Bridgewater. I am not too familiar with the area but I've been a few times and I remember a small town center. Also it has the MTBA, not too far from Boston or Providence. We really liked Salem when we were up there some years ago but we do not want to go north of Boston, and I'm not sure if there is anything similar on the south side?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 01:35 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,922,277 times
Walk-ability, not quaint, near the MBTA, good schools, "like Salem", one acre lots, and new construction all seem to contradict each other.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:41 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,948,699 times
Scituate ($$)
Milton ($$$)
Plymouth ($)
Hingham ($$$)
Braintree ($$1/2)

Nothing quite like Salem to the south of Boston with the exception of Quincy, which has the marina and a newly rebuilt downtown (but will not offer the larger lots). I think Plymouth might be the most expansive downtown on the south shore after Quincy?

As people are learning from my posts, I'm partial to North/West of Boston for the vary reasons you listed. To the north, you have Medford, Winchester, Melrose, Andover, Arlington, Newburyport, Reading, Wakefield, Marblehead, Swampscott, Beverly. To the west, you have Waltham, Natick, Belmont, Newton, Needham, Lexington. All of these have decent, walkable downtowns, neighborhoods and side walks throughout.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Scituate ($$)
Milton ($$$)
Plymouth ($)
Hingham ($$$)
Braintree ($$1/2)

Nothing quite like Salem to the south of Boston with the exception of Quincy, which has the marina and a newly rebuilt downtown (but will not offer the larger lots). I think Plymouth might be the most expansive downtown on the south shore after Quincy?

As people are learning from my posts, I'm partial to North/West of Boston for the vary reasons you listed. To the north, you have Medford, Winchester, Melrose, Andover, Arlington, Newburyport, Reading, Wakefield, Marblehead, Swampscott, Beverly. To the west, you have Waltham, Natick, Belmont, Newton, Needham, Lexington. All of these have decent, walkable downtowns, neighborhoods and side walks throughout.

And very little 1 acre (1/3rd more like it, or 1/2) lots and little new construction in most.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 PM

119 posts, read 105,637 times
Quote:
Scituate ($$)
Milton ($$$)
Plymouth ($)
Hingham ($$$)
Braintree ($$1/2)

I doubt you'll get more than 0.15 acre for $800k home (even if the home is a tear down) in Belmont.

No way new construction single family home for $800k in Belmont, Newton, Winchester, Arlington or Lexington. I don't know the other towns well enough - but can't imagine you can get an acre, new constructon SFH for $800k in any of those towns.

Regardless OP is interested in south of Boston. I'm sure someone familiar with that area will chime in.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda333 View Post
I doubt you'll get more than 0.15 acre for $800k home (even if the home is a tear down) in Belmont.

No way new construction single family home for $800k in Belmont, Newton, Winchester, Arlington or Lexington. I don't know the other towns well enough - but can't imagine you can get an acre, new constructon SFH for $800k in any of those towns.

Regardless OP is interested in south of Boston. I'm sure someone familiar with that area will chime in.
Think my suggestions are valid south of Boston. I'd make Milton the front runner.

My point is that there are a lot more towns that fit that description North/West. Maybe the OP can eat the extra 20 or 30 minutes when they need to head down to Providence IF they explore some cities and find a good fit. Sacrifices are going to need to be made regardless, but less than 2,000 sq. feet gets you into a nice lil updated house in Lexington. 1/2 acre gets you into a decent spread in Concord center. Lower ranking school system, you can get a nice house in Melrose.

You'll find something OP, but at the very least, expand the search to the west!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:47 PM

23,775 posts, read 18,899,213 times
Walpole or Mansfield. Also Franklin is more SW than S but still easy to Providence and has the MBTA to Boston, definitely worth consideration.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:17 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,945,739 times
Walkable and acre lot are not compatible. Do you want an acre lot or do you want to walk to stuff? Both are available, but probably not together. Assuming you're just looking for a walkable town center nearby your acre lot home, or you're ok with a 1/3 acre lot near a town center, you've got a few options. I can't help much due South of Boston, but southwest you've got:

Franklin line: Norwood, Walpole, or Franklin.
Providence/Stoughton: Canton, Stoughton, Sharon, or Mansfield

Also consider Braintree. I'm not including any South Shore towns because I don't know about them. I'm sure you have some options.

None of those are going to hit both new construction and top 20% schools in your budget. Sharon will have the best schools but is expensive and doesn't have a ton in town.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Walkable and acre lot are not compatible. Do you want an acre lot or do you want to walk to stuff? Both are available, but probably not together. Assuming you're just looking for a walkable town center nearby your acre lot home, or you're ok with a 1/3 acre lot near a town center, you've got a few options. I can't help much due South of Boston, but southwest you've got:

Franklin line: Norwood, Walpole, or Franklin.
Providence/Stoughton: Canton, Stoughton, Sharon, or Mansfield

Also consider Braintree. I'm not including any South Shore towns because I don't know about them. I'm sure you have some options.

None of those are going to hit both new construction and top 20% schools in your budget. Sharon will have the best schools but is expensive and doesn't have a ton in town.
Agreed with all, and Walpole checks all boxes. Not exactly a real true functional downtown, but pretty town and enough around for sure.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,945,739 times
Quote:
Think my suggestions are valid south of Boston. I'd make Milton the front runner.

My point is that there are a lot more towns that fit that description North/West. Maybe the OP can eat the extra 20 or 30 minutes when they need to head down to Providence IF they explore some cities and find a good fit. Sacrifices are going to need to be made regardless, but less than 2,000 sq. feet gets you into a nice lil updated house in Lexington. 1/2 acre gets you into a decent spread in Concord center. Lower ranking school system, you can get a nice house in Melrose.

You'll find something OP, but at the very least, expand the search to the west!
Milton is a nice town, but I don't think Milton, not right on top of each other, and an $800k budget are compatible. I found an acre lot in Milton for sale for $795k and that was it at 0.5+ acres. Clearly something will have to give for the OP, it's just not clear what will go first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts