Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think you should take a 2nd look at Salem. Yes it's a pain to drive in and out but the commuter rail is convient and it would hit all of your boxes.

I agree. It has community, walkability, an arts scene, a nice vibe. Affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 AM

32 posts, read 24,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I agree. It has community, walkability, an arts scene, a nice vibe. Affordable.
OK, will do!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Oh, and the Peabody Essex Museum up there is quite good. Gets some great touring exhibits as well.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh, and the Peabody Essex Museum up there is quite good. Gets some great touring exhibits as well.
It's been a while, but yes, I LOVE that museum. Good stuff there. Need to get back soon.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,128,917 times
As a resident of Roslindale, My opinion is that it is overpriced. It is trying hard to be something. but instead of cultural diversity i see more of stark contrast of ultra liberal and straight ghetto. For the price and proximity i think Dedham would be a better buy.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
As a resident of Roslindale, My opinion is that it is overpriced. It is trying hard to be something. but instead of cultural diversity i see more of stark contrast of ultra liberal and straight ghetto. For the price and proximity i think Dedham would be a better buy.
Thank you for that. I got the same impression about Roslindale, but it was based on very little data.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 AM

51 posts, read 65,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Hull's a bit cut off from Boston proper too. The ferry doesn't run from there all year AFAIK and the ferry from Hingham only runs in winter when the weather cooperates.
I don't think Hull is the right fit for the OP, but as a longtime Hull resident wanted to clear up this misinformation about the ferries and south shore access to Boston in general.

Both the Hull and Hingham MBTA ferries run year round M-F.

From Hull it is ~20-25 minute boat ride to Long Wharf downtown. If the schedule and the location work, it is really hard to beat as far as a commute (or for a day trip to Boston.)

The ferries also run in all weather. In fact during the big winter storms a couple of years ago (when the trains/roads were having so much trouble) they were one of the most reliable ways to get to/from Boston from the South Shore.

The ferries run weekends for about half the year (between ~ Memorial Day - Columbus Day I believe.)

The MBTA commuter rail (Greenbush line) is another good option from Hull/Hingham/Cohasset/Scituate to Boston (ends at South Station.)

And I know many folks that drive to Quincy or Braintree and pick up the Red Line T there, either because the route/frequency is more convenient, or the cost (the ferries and train are not cheap...)

Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,914,913 times
Salem also have a (slow) bus 455 that goes to wonderland. and two bus' 459 and 450 that go from Salem depot to Downtown crossing or Haymarket.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
jcd, how attached are you to Brookline? The people and the surroundings.

If you would pick Brookline ahead of all other areas but for affording a larger place, I would add West Roxbury to your search.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM

3,224 posts, read 2,128,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
jcd, how attached are you to Brookline? The people and the surroundings.

If you would pick Brookline ahead of all other areas but for affording a larger place, I would add West Roxbury to your search.
I'm not sure there are many deals to be had left in W. Rox. It's getting scary expensive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts