Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 6,879 times

Advertisements

Hello, I had posted a different thread when we thought we might be moving to Canton. We received some great feedback which we really appreciated. My job is flexing and we can actually live just about anywhere in Mass.

We are a young family currently living in Westchester, NY (about 20 miles outside of NYC) looking to relocate to Massachusetts somewhere along the 495 corridor south of I90 (though we are flexible), north of Middleborough. We are thinking along 495 since we go to Truro\Ptown many times per year.

I've been looking up each town using google maps but was hoping some of you might have some recommendations to narrow things down.

We'll probably rent the first year to better learn the different towns and areas. When we are ready to buy we will be in the $700k range (3-4 bd\2ba), nice size yard would be our preference). Good public schools a must as we have a pre-k child. As for lifestyle, we really like where we live now if anyone is familiar with the small towns of Westchester. We prefer a safe\walk-able neighborhood with nearby parks and a nice downtown area for basics or to stroll\get something to eat. Being on a train line isn't a primary concern.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Along 495 and south of the Mass Pike, I think the King Philip regional school district towns of Norfolk, Wrentham and Plainville offer good value. They may be somewhat "sleepier" communities than you are looking for, however, so towns like Westboro, Millis, Walpole and North Attleborough, may be more appealing.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:41 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
The towns along the 495 belt typically do not provide as much in the way of walkability or true downtowns. They are inherently more rural, many of which are still being developed. There are a few exceptions, but my initial suggestion is to look between 495 and 95. If you can swallow the extra few minutes down the Cape, I think you'll be much more comfortable in those communities.

I'd look at Natick. It checks all of the boxes, and for $700k, you should find some decent options. Rt. 9 has a ton of creature comforts - upscale shopping, restaurants, and easy access to Newton/Brookline/Boston, and the Natick downtown is a nice little area with shops, a town common, the train, etc. After that, there are always the Mansfields/Bridgewaters down that way.. I'll reserve my comments for someone more familiar with that general area.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I don't know the area well, but drive through it to work often. I kind of like the little "downtown?" strip along Route 1 in Plaineville. I stopped at the bookstore and it was surprisingly nice for an independent bookstore in such a small town.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
You mean the bookstore in downtown Plainville along 1A? That's about the only nice building in the whole town.

I'd recommend the OP look in Franklin. It's going to be more the size you want and there are some very nice developments. 2 exits off 495 and the train to Boston.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I guess it might be 1A, not sure. I cut through Attleboro to 495 often enough.

I like the vibe of that strip there, not just that store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts