Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 PM

24,579 posts, read 17,321,260 times

Advertisements

I first heard this as a rumor and then it was confirmed in a D+D when I asked what had happened to my go to lunch sandwich.
It seems that D+D is going back to a basic breakfast menu and it is cutting several lunch sandwiches among other things.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1011273001/

I remember how several years ago D+D looked to expand their breakfast menu to appeal towards the lunch and late afternoon crowd of hungry folks. It made sense to expand because why have a predominantly breakfast place open all day if the only thing you would be selling is coffee?

Another item that is getting the axe are stick donuts like the jelly stick and plain but they will still offer the glazed stick.

I don't know if this new idea of scaling back to just be a breakfast place "back to their roots" but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

What do you think about D+D doing away with some favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,738,928 times
They are first and foremost a coffee company. They probably wanted to focus more on coffee and the food that accompanies it. Perhaps they weren't making the margins they want in sandwiches, and felt it diverted focus.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:56 PM

3,239 posts, read 2,142,262 times
They should focus on making coffee that is drinkable without cream and sugar. I do miss the espresso they had. It was surprisingly really good. And my guilty pleasure was always a Dunk-a-chino. I think It may be a good thing to focus more on fewer items. Any improvement is welcomed.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM

15,818 posts, read 20,586,820 times
I go there specifically for coffee...both on my AM and PM commute home. I'd be lying if I said while I was there I don't occasionally pick up a meal for myself...especially if the PM commute home looks like it's going to be a long one.

I noticed the menu the other day was different, and haven't looked to see if two personal faves are gone (I think so), but usually the only time I ever got breakfast there was when heading out the door on a sat/sun AM. Otherwise it's just coffee for me.

The only time I thought it hurt them to offer such a broad menu was in the evening if myself and a few friends stopped in and ordered some sandwiches and coffee only to find one single person running the counter at that time.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 PM

23,745 posts, read 18,855,643 times
It's not like any of their food was eatable anyway. They should really become just strictly a beverage place, rather than try to kid the public...

But I remember way back in the day (when they actually took pride in their product), they sold stuff like sandwiches and soup. I mean real actual sandwiches, not the fake microwaved ones they introduced in the 2000s.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:25 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,584,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's not like any of their food was eatable anyway. They should really become just strictly a beverage place, rather than try to kid the public...

But I remember way back in the day (when they actually took pride in their product), they sold stuff like sandwiches and soup. I mean real actual sandwiches, not the fake microwaved ones they introduced in the 2000s.

Back in the old days, they had counters with seats, wait service, and actual china coffee cups. People actually hung out there.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:17 PM

10,046 posts, read 15,715,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

I've never had lunch there, eww gross. I'll stick with the coffee and the sometimes donut.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:57 PM

24,579 posts, read 17,321,260 times
Their offerings were basically fast food and when on a road trip my wife and I would often stop at D+D for a coffee and a samich like a turkey on a ciabatta roll. The perception was that it was much better than a burger and fries.

I just think it is a poor business decision to have a place open all day long and not have some type of sandwich that is not primarily a breakfast offering.

I guess in the future when we are on a trip or out for a long day that my go to will have to be a bagel with cream cheese.

I miss the samiches already.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,843,219 times
I'm sorry but the overexpansion didn't help. Their coffee is ok but frankly I'd prefer Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Peet's (if you can find it etc). Coffee is a huge business and the growth has been pretty big. We're well beyond Mr. Coffee of the 1970s.

Keruig shook things up but I'll stick to my Chemex.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,762,957 times
I don't even go there anymore but I used to go for coffee and a donut. I'd buy a donut in the afternoon and a decaff too. But I don't want any disgusting sandwich or breakfast stuff from them. Take the artificial chemicals out of the donuts, make them fresh again, and be like the old DD that we knew and loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts