Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 02:30 PM

13 posts, read 65,671 times

Advertisements

We are moving with in a year or so, renting or buying and need a school that has a good special Ed program. I know Brookline is the best but we need something a bit more affordable. Not too far south (before Foxboro) and not too far west is optimal, since my husband, commutes to boston. I stay home now but plan to be employed by then. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 19,975 times
Southborough has excellent public school system and strong accomodations for ADHD/Aspergers/EFD. There are also several private schools in the area (southborogh/marlborough) which specifically accomodate such kids in the adolescent years (looking ahead). As an aspie mom, I would definitely like to see a public school that has accelerated or gifted classes starting in 3rd or 4th grade. Part of the behaviorial issues can be curbed when these kids can be engaged in their strengths. Ask how the general curriculum incorporates executive functioning/organizational skills. If the public program looks good at that level, then they will at least have the services to address these important needs.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Can anyone chime in on the Special ED (AS) for Westborough or Shrewsbury. We are considering these as well as Northborough. I like the reply about Southboro but I don't think they have a high school (kids go to Northboro) and I don't want to hassle with that.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I like the reply about Southboro but I don't think they have a high school (kids go to Northboro) and I don't want to hassle with that.
No, the kids go to Algonquin, which serves both towns - it just happens to be located in Northboro. It belongs to both communities. They have busses, so don't pass on it for that reason alone, it has a good reputaton.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 8,090 times
Stay clear of Marlborough. If your child is "average" or above, they will do fine. If you have a child with special needs, you will spend more time in hearings than you will at your place of business.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 AM

53 posts, read 152,397 times
I work in the field. Depending on where your coming from, I think you'll be quite happy with most of the schools you find around here. It's really hard to pick a "district" when so much depends on your child's specific teacher.

I live right next to Marlboro, and do know some mom's with children with Aspergers that are happy. There Sped PAC is quite active and you might be able to contact them. The administration is HORRIBLE about IEP meetings, though.

Northboro, Southboro are quite good. The Highschool is not an issue.

Stay away from Berlin/Bolton.

Sudbury used to be good. Not sure now.

You might want to contact Alex Michaels (she has Asperger's) and Laurie Smith of Milestones. They can steer you in the right direction. www.advancingmilestones.com
They've consulted with most schools in the area.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:24 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
A co-worker of mine has an acutely autistic daughter and an ADD son and has found himself able to set them up well in Sudbury, in fact, that was a reason he didn't want to move elsewhere.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 AM

15 posts, read 70,161 times
Go strictly by your child's neuro-psychologist and or a strong advocate. They know your child and the systems that best suit your child's needs. Every child is different and so are the systems. If you need a neuro-psych, I recommend ICCD in Canton. Evaluations drive your child's program. If you don't want to do that, look at Towns with big budgets or balanced budgets. Budgets drive SPED. big time. I know I have a special needs child. The best plan is a professional plan.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM

15 posts, read 70,161 times
Lexington is also excellent. Very driven and competent school system. Pricey housing, similar to Brookline. Based on my experience, if you don't pay in housing, you'll pay with advocates, evals and lawyers. Consider the town and then the housing. I am in a nice house in a nice town and I wished that I were in a condo in Brookline or Lexington instead. SPED problems effect your wallet and your family. Needless to say, your peace of mind is not something to negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts