Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 05:01 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleerambles View Post
Thanks for the replies, and yes I have as I indicated, posted two other times in this forum. We are looking through different towns and trying to make the best decision.

Where I currently live in Long Island, I am twenty minutes from both north shore (LI Sound) beaches and south shore (ocean) beaches. I obviously saw on a map there is no beach in the exact town, but I was wondering where the nearest one is and where locals from that town tend to go.

And yes, of course I understand I am not moving to a land of endless summers and beach nights. The weather there is fairly similar to what I am used to with a relatively short lived beach season, but I definitely love living near the coast, and was hoping to find out info from people in the area.
You will not be near the ocean in Medfield. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Exactly, if that is important then you would be better off looking towards the South Shore.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
I'm not sure what to tell you. Long Island is long and narrow and no matter where you are on it, you're not going to be too far from some sort of beach. In MA, which is not an island, it's going to be tougher.

For commuting to Westwood, most of your initial thoughts made sense. But, if the beach really is a significant thing for you, maybe you should look closer to the shore. Hingham is nice and has good schools, although it is a tad far from Westwood, and I don't think it will be really easy to find something at your price point (although probably not impossible).

You could look at places like Quincy, Braintree, or Weymouth, although I don't know how good the schools in those towns are, compared to some of the other towns you mentioned. I think this will come down to a decision on beach proximity versus commute.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I don't think there's any "one" beach that people go to. Lots of people have pools or they belong to pool clubs or country clubs.
The nearest lake with a beach would be in Sherborn which is one town north of Medfield and they let people from other towns use it.

As far as the ocean, take your pick. We have beaches along both North and South Shores plus the South Coast area and the Cape.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I don't think there's any "one" beach that people go to. Lots of people have pools or they belong to pool clubs or country clubs.
The nearest lake with a beach would be in Sherborn which is one town north of Medfield and they let people from other towns use it.

As far as the ocean, take your pick. We have beaches along both North and South Shores plus the South Coast area and the Cape.
Natural freshwater swimming--in lakes and ponds--is common and widely available in Mass unlike Long Island. Not "the beach" but can be very nice.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:27 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There is also Hale Reservation in Westwood, if you want to pay the membership.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There is also Hale Reservation in Westwood, if you want to pay the membership.
Oh, you have to pay to use the one in Sherborn, too.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:57 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Yeah, now I'm confused.

OP, why are you looking at Medfield if you enjoy being coastal? There are a lot of towns that provide beautiful beaches, good schools, nice town centers, close proximity to Boston, etc. South would be a Hingham, or a Cohasset, etc. North would be a Marblehead, or a Manchester, etc. I understand that there is a requirement to be close(ish) to Westwood, so focus on Hingham/Cohasset/Norwell.

Medfield is certainly nice, but not a town you hear a lot about on these threads, especially when it's someone from out of state with your criteria.

Last edited by mwj119; 04-13-2018 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-13-2018, 09:27 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Suggestion . . . rather than starting multiple discussions about multiple towns . . . why not start a new thread telling everyone about your move (i.e. what kind of house you're looking for, commuting needs, lifestyle needs, housing budget, etc., etc., etc.) and allow people familiar with the state to make suggestions about towns you should consider?

Old 04-13-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yeah, now I'm confused.

OP, why are you looking at Medfield if you enjoy being coastal? There are a lot of towns that provide beautiful beaches, good schools, nice town centers, close proximity to Boston, etc. South would be a Hingham, or a Cohasset, etc. North would be a Marblehead, or a Manchester, etc. I understand that there is a requirement to be close(ish) to Westwood, so focus on Hingham/Cohasset/Norwell.

Medfield is certainly nice, but not a town you hear a lot about on these threads, especially when it's someone from out of state with your criteria.
It's a pain to commute from those places with the traffic in the morning and evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts