Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:24 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
True but the people that use them do. I take a half filled glass of water and ten people and ask them is it half full or half empty and it's a split down the middle.I can say 50% of ALL PEOPLE POLLED for one thing or another,the numbers aren't wrong just the people using them.
Poor comparison, as half full=half empty (mathematically speaking). That's what I mean in that numbers DON'T lie, which is why I posted the charts to allow for an unbiased analysis by whoever. Yes, you do need a basic understanding of stats and numbers to interpret.

One makes a claim that extreme gun control measures reduce homicides. Data shows, however, that the country (USA) that didn't take those measures has had the same (Australia) or greater than (UK) reduction in homicides. Any credible study (one would think), would have to explore the reason for this. Has the USA done something else that has had been MORE effective than the other two countries' gun control measures? Are there independent demographic and cultural factors that explain the disparity? Or is it, that just maybe these extreme gun control laws didn't accomplish what they were intended to?

Don't they teach any kind of critical thinking in school anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 06:44 AM

Now back on point. In 2017, Massachusetts recorded 1,977 fatal opioid related overdoses. In 2015 (most recent year available), state had 81 gun related homicides. Statistically speaking, less than 40% (but in reality probably far less) of those guns were legally purchased. That's 32 vs. 1977. Then you wonder, how many of those 32 are by the now banned firearms? Who should we really be going after folks?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
I'm trying to follow here. You jump from opioid deaths, to gun control. Can you summarize what the heck you're talking about again?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm trying to follow here. You jump from opioid deaths, to gun control. Can you summarize what the heck you're talking about again?
Read post #1. Trying to highlight the contrast in priorities. Scapegoating (previously) law abiding gun owners while slapping these real murderers on the wrist because it's just a "money crime". You have a child today, are they more likely to be killed by a heroin/fentanyl overdose or by an AR-15? Unfortunately for these left-wing politicians, they let emotion rather than reason rule the day. I'm sure the right is guilty of such in some cases as well (in a state like Texas or Utah where they happen to dominate), but here we are talking about Massachusetts (need I say more).

Old 05-24-2018, 07:56 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Now back on point. In 2017, Massachusetts recorded 1,977 fatal opioid related overdoses. In 2015 (most recent year available), state had 81 gun related homicides. Statistically speaking, less than 40% (but in reality probably far less) of those guns were legally purchased. That's 32 vs. 1977. Then you wonder, how many of those 32 are by the now banned firearms? Who should we really be going after folks?
I'm all for going after dealers of opioids, but this is not a good argument. It reminds me of when people downplay stuff like 9/11 and school shootings by comparing them to the much larger number of drunk driving deaths. There are much better ways to get your point across.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:59 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
You have a child today, are they more likely to be killed by a heroin/fentanyl overdose or by an AR-15?
Again, not a good argument.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'm all for going after dealers of opioids, but this is not a good argument. It reminds me of when people downplay stuff like 9/11 and school shootings by comparing them to the much larger number of drunk driving deaths. There are much better ways to get your point across.

As to putting light on the scale AND seriousness of the issue, I think it is. Point isn't to downplay 9/11 and school shootings, at all.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Do you honestly think people should own AR-15's? Maybe register them to a gun club and go shoot them there for sport? It just seems weird to me that anyone needs to have that type of weapon in the name of "freedom"
I come from a long line of hunters, and most agree that those are ridiculous weapons for people to have in their homes.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Do you honestly think people should own AR-15's? Maybe register them to a gun club and go shoot them there for sport? It just seems weird to me that anyone needs to have that type of weapon in the name of "freedom"
I come from a long line of hunters, and most agree that those are ridiculous weapons for people to have in their homes.
I would say no, as they are just...honestly a pretty mediocre gun that no matter what your purpose for owing one is you can surely find something better. People purchase them because they are a cheap/super mass produced semi-auto rifle, or they want to dress up and pretend they are Rambo Man. But consumers make many poor choices, and if that's what they want to do with their money and they are using it legally and responsibly...am I to stop them?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
I would say no, as they are just...honestly a pretty mediocre gun that no matter what your purpose for owing one is you can surely find something better. People purchase them because they are a cheap/super mass produced semi-auto rifle, or they want to dress up and pretend they are Rambo Man. But consumers make many poor choices, and if that's what they want to do with their money and they are using it legally and responsibly...am I to stop them?
Yes but surely you'll admit they both look and sound quite scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts