Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:36 PM

23 posts, read 97,250 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Tennessee, and I want to know which one is better for a family?
I already read about these towns north of Boston like Beverly, Salem, Peabody, Lynn, Saugus, and I am not sure which one is the best. So I would appreciate it if you can recommend the best place? We love to play Soccer.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
It depends - Where will you be commuting to? Are public schools important? What kind of a hometown are you looking for in terms of size, amenities, etc?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Thanks for fast reply. Actually I don't know where is the best place to move in MA. I choose these 4,5 towns Beverly, Salem, Peabody, Lynn, Saugus, and I would like to know more about it. I prefer good elementary schools. Town size doesn't matter much, looking for a 2 bedroom apt. in good location. I have read about Peabody, they have a big Mall and a lot of store, but people prefer Beverly. Is is the best town to live north of Boston? What about parks and outdoor sports, like soccer? Transportation and opportunity for good Jobs? I work here in the SIMONS Mall and I want to transfer to MASS.
I will appreciate if I get more information about it.
Thank you

Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
My sister lived in Beverly when she was going to school in the north shore. You can certainly find reasonably priced rentals there and in Salem. Both seem like reasonable places to live with lots to do. Crime rates in Lynn are fairly high. I don't know much about the other towns but hopefully someone else on the list can share their thoughts. I'll send you more info on Salem, Beverly, and Peabody shortly.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:56 PM

59 posts, read 284,185 times
Default saugus and lynn...

... can't say i recommend them for a family relocating from TN. please give more detail - what can you pay for rent; will your kids be going to public school?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 PM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times
Beverly is your best bet.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Exclamation Beverly sounds good!

Thank you for all your replys.. I know We really want a different lifestyle!! My husband is European and I am originally from new Orleans, so Tennessee is not what we want.. been in the mountains too long. My 10 year will go to public school.How is Peabody? Do any of these towns have a super Wal-Mart? Would love to get more info about the these towns Beverly ,Peabody and Salem. The best area to rent the apt.
Thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 09:10 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Lynn and Saugus do not have great reputations.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Forget Lynn. High crime, lots of drugs/gangs, etc. Do note that "Lynnfield" is entirely different and is well regarded.
Salem, while historic and on public transport, has started to get people from Lynn in tenancy, and is getting rough itself. Also, traffic in and out of there is a nightmare.
I think Danvers and Saugus are sort of middling and similar.
Beverly is very high end and has the best reputation.
Yes, it would be helpful to know where you're going for work, if kids are in schools, price range, etc.
But trust everyone on this- forget about Lynn.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 7,476 times
Depending on what you do for a living. I would look for a house outside of Rte 128. Getting around inside rte 128 is a nightmare. It is also cheaper to live outside of rte 128. You will pay a hefty price for real estate inside of it.
If you still want to live in the towns you listed, I would go for Beverly Ma . It's a larger town than most, so the taxes might be a little lower than the others. I live in Lynn, so stay away from there. If you can afford it, Lynnfield Ma is a centrally located town where you can get on the highway very quickly and go north south east or west conveniently. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts