Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 PM

12,447 posts, read 9,540,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Yes; we get quite a bit of snow in PA. In fact last year I think we had more than Boston. My husband's sick of shoveling it so I'll have to think of something.
You can always hire someone for the season to plow the driveway, and some people (fewer, because it takes time) will run a snowthrower and shovel as needed too - he can be sipping some hot coffee inside and watching someone else do the heavy lifting for snow cleanup. I still do my own at 59, but I wont be doing it myself in 10 more years. Main thing is, don't have naked cars out in the driveway if you can afford a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Salem has a big historic center like that in Newburyport and Portsmouth. Very walkable, water views, accessible-- maybe more citified than you have in mind? On the south shore, Plymouth is down a notch but only that; it has a town and water views galore, freshwater ponds as well as salt. Falmouth is farther than you have in mind but might work for you. Fairhaven and New Bedford on the south coast are walkable if not as upscale as Newburyport, Marblehead and Hingham. Bristol, Rhode Island, is supposed to be a great walkable town.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
I like a mix -- Lived a few blocks from the ocean, lived and worked in Philadelphia and suburbs; lived and worked in in the mid-west (Kansas City, MO), visited Boston/Brookline/Southie many times over the past ten years and have liked aspects of all areas. We have time so we plan to explore several areas. I am trying to stay within a hour of Boston for convenience to daughter. I don't believe Rhode Island is as tax friendly and it may be out of distance range but I'll keep in mind if other options don't work out. Someone else posted about Salem and my husband is a history buff and the city aspect would be fine.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
I would focus on Urban north shore towns with OK to meh schools. Amesbury, Salem, Beverly, Gloucester, and the part of Newbury near Newburyport.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM

613 posts, read 944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Beverly is worth including in your consideration. It's more urban, but still a nice town with stuff going on, some pretty neighborhoods, and you have Cape Ann closeby. Main advantage over Nbpt is that if you're using the train to get into Boston, Beverly can save you a good deal of time. If you're driving, and coming out of one the streets near the water, the advantage isn't that great, 5-10 mins. I looked seriously at Beverly before buying in Nbpt. For me, even though I commute into Kendall Square in Cambridge at least 4 days a week - I drive, and my preference for Nbpt outweighed the marginal extra driving time. I am not called OutdoorLover for nothing :-)
If I had a budget of up to $800K, I'd pick NBPT, or Marblehead, no question. It's hard to put a price on quality of life. I've been to Beverly, but don't know it well--isn't it kind of more "grungy" than NBPT?

There are towns in Seacoast NH in between NBPT & Portsmouth where $400 to $500K would go a long way--Hampton, Exeter, N. Hampton. And only 10-12 miles extra commute (by car) to Boston vs. NBPT......

Old 09-21-2018, 08:54 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
If I had a budget of up to $800K, I'd pick NBPT, or Marblehead, no question. It's hard to put a price on quality of life. I've been to Beverly, but don't know it well--isn't it kind of more "grungy" than NBPT?

There are towns in Seacoast NH in between NBPT & Portsmouth where $400 to $500K would go a long way--Hampton, Exeter, N. Hampton. And only 10-12 miles extra commute (by car) to Boston vs. NBPT......
Beverly is a bit more "grungy" than Newburyport but it's getting better. There are restaurants and theaters and it's pleasant to walk around in. Newburyport is wonderful but in summer it can be too touristy and crowded. Salem is okay but it seems to be mostly aimed at young professionals.

Southern NH towns are nice too.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Gloucester is a good rec for the OP, and is a relatively good value when compared to the local market.
I considered that recommendation but excluded it because it seems much more blue collar and stuff. Didn't think it would mesh as well as Rockport, which is so much more artsy.

OP's budget is flexible so Marblehead should definitely to be kept on the list as an option.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:19 AM

317 posts, read 331,945 times
Look at the neighborhood of Gloucester near Wingaersheek beach. There are trails leading to its own private beach. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:19 PM

12,447 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post

There are certainly some streets in Beverly where the houses are run down last I looked, yes, but there are also neighborhoods that are beautiful, especially right near the water and in Prides Crossing and Beverly Farms. I am not recommending Beverly over Nbpt, just trying to give the original poster other options. She wants to have more than 1 town on her shortlist.

From what I have learned from her comments here and in the NH thread, I think she'd be best off going to Newburyport, Amesbury or Exeter. Her and hubby are empty nesters, she doesn't want to be too far from Boston for visits with her daughter, she wants a town with safe streets, and she wants a nice walkable downtown with some things to do and ready access to nice nature. Her budget isn't unlimited, but she has more flexibility than most.

The NH beach towns, some have beautiful beaches and scenic salt marsh - I love Rye especially, but they don't have great walkable downtowns, Route 1 is most of the business activity for them.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:11 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Beverly is a bit more "grungy" than Newburyport but it's getting better. There are restaurants and theaters and it's pleasant to walk around in. Newburyport is wonderful but in summer it can be too touristy and crowded. Salem is okay but it seems to be mostly aimed at young professionals.

Southern NH towns are nice too.
Your post captures my criteria nicely. Yes; we are looking forward to spending time visiting NH & Maine coastal areas when we relocate. We drove through Boothbay Harbor a few summers ago and were enchanted. Are there nice swimming beaches other than Good Harbor Beach?

I will now go about doing more research on most of the towns mentioned.

i want to say this was my first post on this forum and I am heartened by the quality of the feedback. I have been pleasantly surprised that so many people take the time to share their knowledge and take such a keen interest in a stranger. I started out feeling overwhelmed but now I think I have a good plan for our upcoming visit. thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts