Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Holy Cross never really involved itself with Worcester. It's "Ivory Tower" location is a metaphore for it's veiw about the rest of the city.

You see it when you come and go.

Holy Cross sits high on a hill where it looks down on the city of Worcester in both a literal and figurative sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 07:21 PM

198 posts, read 150,825 times
Worcester is a city that you can't get there from here. The WRTA is pathetic with a weak schedule and service that ends early in the evening. Rail to Boston has increased and seems to be doing well as the numbers have increased to making it the most used MBTA line in the system. But, does the city need a better connection to Amtrak? Or rail service south to Providence? This is proposed and will it be used?Schedule

Old 10-27-2018, 08:09 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Holy Cross sits high on a hill where it looks down on the city of Worcester in both a literal and figurative sense.
As one of the three major, private universities, they are noticable disinterested in Worcester. It DOES look down on the city - literally and figurativly.

I knew many people who took classes at WPI through the consortium. I also met students from other colleges at Clark. I never met anyone from Holy Cross.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:17 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As one of the three major, private universities, they are noticable disinterested in Worcester. It DOES look down on the city - literally and figurativly.

I knew many people who took classes at WPI through the consortium. I also met students from other colleges at Clark. I never met anyone from Holy Cross.
So true. We lived close to WPI, and both my sister and I married boys from there, but I never remember any of my school friends going to Clark or Holy Cross, or even talking about them at all. In a college town, usually a good number of high school kids apply to the local schools, but it doesn’t seem like they did.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:17 AM

I am a WPI alum and was in a frat. We interacted with students from several other Worcester colleges. Holy Cross however was not one of them. Had dealings with Becker, Clark, Assumption, and Worcester State students. My roommate's longtime girlfriend was a Clarkie that lived in Wright and later a house on Charlotte Street. Had many students from the four schools above come to frat parties. I can't ever recall anyone from Holy Cross. From my experience, the only interaction WPI students likely had with HC was via ROTC Navy as it was based at Holy Cross. WPI probably had more students from Mt Holyoke and Smith, an hours drive away, attend campus events than from Holy Cross. Holy Cross students all tended to live on campus and kept pretty much to themselves.

In my view, WPI, is probably the most connected school to the city in terms of the private higher-ed institutions. It is the only private school that bears the city name, is non denominational, and unlike the other schools, mostly populated with buildings named after many of the city's important business and civic leaders - Washburn, Salisbury, Higgins, Gordon, Harrington, Morgan, Stoddard, Riley, Goddard, and Daniels. It's open campus is among the closest to downtown and the school has made a significant investment in the city with the Gateway Center development.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,476,137 times
WPI also partners with Worcester Public Schools on this high school. https://www.massacademy.org/
If I remember correctly it is considered the best public high school in the state. It is darn hard to get into though.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:43 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Speaking of Worcester, it is a real shame what has happened to the Higgins armor collection. It is one of the world's largest collections of medieval armor and for a very long time was magnificently displayed at the now closed Higgins Armory. My favorite part of it was the great hall with armor throughout and a simulated jousting scene with horses with armor clad knights situated at opposite ends. Unfortunately the Higgins Armory experienced big visitor declines and a decision was made to close and send its collection to the Worcester Art Museum. Much of it was initially displayed at the WAM but it has now mostly been relegated to mothballs. I visited the WAM this summer and saw just a few pieces oddly placed throughout the museum amongst other non-related items. I inquired about the collection and was told that most of all it was in storage until a fundraising effort can raise enough money to build a new wing for it. When I questioned a planned open date, I was told it was a long way off. It was such a shame that the Worcester area could not adequately support the collection at a single space that was entirely dedicated to display it. I fear that it will never again get the space and proper detail attention it once had.

https://www.telegram.com/news/201811...-armor-gallery

Old 11-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Saw that. Still years away from being displayed upon years in past storage. Would have been best to have had the fundraising complete and the space already done and ready when when the Higgins Armory closed.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:29 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Saw that. Still years away from being displayed upon years in past storage. Would have been best to have had the fundraising complete and the space already done and ready when when the Higgins Armory closed.
Sure, and for that matter it would have been best that the Higgins didn't have to shut their doors in the first place. But considering, I'm thankful the Worcester Art Museum was able to step up in whatever (and whenever) capacity they are.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM

652 posts, read 750,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
Worcester is a city that you can't get there from here. The WRTA is pathetic with a weak schedule and service that ends early in the evening. Rail to Boston has increased and seems to be doing well as the numbers have increased to making it the most used MBTA line in the system. But, does the city need a better connection to Amtrak? Or rail service south to Providence? This is proposed and will it be used?Schedule
Very easy to get around Worcester by Uber or Lyft these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts