Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:03 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yeah, massnative, go take a class!

(translation: timberline has no idea what he's talking about.)
I could take all the classes in the world, it still won't give me the expert level knowledge he has on everything known to man. Just nobody is quite that brilliant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 05:25 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And GOAL is an independent organization, nothing at all on their website about NRA ties. But either way it doesn't matter, fact is they do many good work.
Pretty sure they are, or at least were This came up in a past thread and there was a link on their site. However, their website has changed and I can no longer find it. But I do recall seeing it previously.

EDIT: been searching for 15-20 mins and can't find any info on the affiliation

Last edited by BostonMike7; 11-23-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 05:59 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
RI is among the top 5 LEAST rural states.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:00 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
That's why only people who are mouth breathers, and those too poor to escape, live in ALabama.....
Do you just say this stuff to get a reaction or do you really think like this? Plenty of smart people in Alabama, plenty of stupid people in Massachusetts. It's a comparatively rural state so the good jobs tend to be in big cities, but I'd venture to guess most people from Alabama would rather be in Atlanta than Boston

Quote:
RI is among the top 5 LEAST rural states.
It's the 2nd most urban, after New Jersey. Massachusetts is 3rd.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Pretty sure they are, or at least were This came up in a past thread and there was a link on their site. However, their website has changed and I can no longer find it. But I do recall seeing it previously.

EDIT: been searching for 15-20 mins and can't find any info on the affiliation

They are an affiliate. They just removed the references for obvious reasons. They don't want to publicize it. It's still clear on some of the literature they distribute, including some of the older (not sure if it is still there) firearm safety class teaching literature.

Quote:
I

Many credit hours, don't you worry. Probably a bit more than yourself and your biology degree or whatever you have, but that's beside the point. Quit trying to derail the topic. Based on all the influences that you claim to understand, what explains the higher crime rate in MA vs. RI, CT, NY, NJ and PA? This should get interesting...

That is one of my undergrad degrees. Just one, and my grad degree is in something different.

Again, take a class. I've tried to explain so many things to you over the years and you just dig in a try to find minor points you don't agree with and reject the whole source based on it. Stats you don't like, data you don't like, etc. You're a master of moving goal posts, changing subjects, and adhering to "analysis" that doesn't have any to the data from fringe sources. It's really tiresome.A classic example of the age old axiom, "you can take a conservative to information, but you can't make them think." In this case, a fringe NRA group takes raw data, does no analysis, and makes specious claims that the data supports their already established position, which it doesn't, and then you go off parroting them. But if you want an accurate full analysis of your question, do step up and fund the research needed to really find out, there is a dissertation in there, but I already explained to you what some of the differences are. It is not going to be as simple as "gun laws".

And I see that child is still posting from his mother's basement. I'm amazed you all don't put the kids on ignore. There should be age verification checks to sign up here. It ruins the discourse.

Last edited by timberline742; 11-24-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-24-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That is one of my undergrad degrees. Just one, and my grad degree is in something different.

Again, take a class. I've tried to explain so many things to you over the years and you just dig in a try to find minor points you don't agree with and reject the whole source based on it. Stats you don't like, data you don't like, etc. You're a master of moving goal posts, changing subjects, and adhering to "analysis" that doesn't have any to the data from fringe sources. It's really tiresome.A classic example of the age old axiom, "you can take a conservative to information, but you can't make them think." In this case, a fringe NRA group takes raw data, does no analysis, and makes specious claims that the data supports their already established position, which it doesn't, and then you go off parroting them. But if you want an accurate full analysis of your question, do step up and fund the research needed to really find out, there is a dissertation in there, but I already explained to you what some of the differences are. It is not going to be as simple as "gun laws".
You have still officially contributed ZERO to the discussion, other than hurling insults (as usual) and arguing with FBI data because you don't like the source that reported it.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
You have still officially contributed ZERO to the discussion, other than hurling insults (as usual) and arguing with FBI data because you don't like the source that reported it.
Well, in fairness, he's also bragged about his degrees.

Unfortunately, Donald Trump has prevented him from getting a decent job.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, Donald Trump has prevented him from getting a decent job.
Good God! Please don't get him going on that...

Old 11-24-2018, 09:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I'm not quite sure how the Boston Herald working class Boston white flight people got the label conservative. Conservative used to be Boston Brahmins who were actually capable of critical thought. Fiscal conservatives brought up with an ethic to preserve the family pot of gold.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:22 PM

AtkinsonDan, Jayrandom, Scorpio, Cape Cod Todd (sorry if I missed anybody?)...thank you all for contributing to the topic and attempting with some civil and intelligent discussion. As for the trolls, well hopefully they will eventually crawl back into where they belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts