Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
All true about Florence, where I have lived since 1991. Best of many worlds.
But has this person told us where they will be working? I'd live in Williamsburg if I could afford it but I ended up in Easthampton and now in CT. Anyway, if they want info about the Springfield area they need to tell us.

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-18-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 12:43 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,685 times
Sometimes the OP disappears, as you know.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 PM

15 posts, read 11,299 times
OP is here

I would be commuting to the Metro Center area and would like to live close to all of the things Bizcuit has detailed about Northampton (I also love Trader Joe's) - if similar areas exist around Springfield I would like to know about those as well. My current commute is 45 minutes (60+ in rush hour traffic) So anything less than that will be great, I will be looking for an apartment to start, no details on price range available at the moment. I haven't replied as I didn't want to waste any ones time without more details to share.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblfnd View Post
OP is here

I would be commuting to the Metro Center area and would like to live close to all of the things Bizcuit has detailed about Northampton (I also love Trader Joe's) - if similar areas exist around Springfield I would like to know about those as well. My current commute is 45 minutes (60+ in rush hour traffic) So anything less than that will be great, I will be looking for an apartment to start, no details on price range available at the moment. I haven't replied as I didn't want to waste any ones time without more details to share.
Hi again, OP--

If you will be working in downtown Springfield and you still want the kinds of things the Northampton area offers, you might want to look into Easthampton. It's next to Holyoke but it's also next to Northampton and it has some cute artsy things to offer. It's cheaper than Northampton and has been undergoing revitalization for quite a few years now. If you lived near the mountain, you would only have to go over that mountain and down rte 91 to get to Springfield.

You could live in Northampton too, but it's a little bit further away. You'd take a different entrance onto rte 91 and probably drive a little bit through Northampton to get to your home, although there are lots of streets of older houses that are probably divided up into apartments near the exit. I don't know if there are many good apartments in Easthampton though. It's mostly suburbia and some apartment complexes that didn't seem to be very desirable. You might be able to find part of a two family house though.

I have a good friend in Easthampton and she loves it there. Oh--I used to live there too! It's getting better all the time. The only problem I had living in Easthampton and commuting to downtown Springfield was in the winter, getting over that mountain! It could get pretty scary sometimes in drenching rain or in the ice and snow.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 PM

15 posts, read 11,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hi again, OP--

If you will be working in downtown Springfield and you still want the kinds of things the Northampton area offers, you might want to look into Easthampton. It's next to Holyoke but it's also next to Northampton and it has some cute artsy things to offer. It's cheaper than Northampton and has been undergoing revitalization for quite a few years now. If you lived near the mountain, you would only have to go over that mountain and down rte 91 to get to Springfield.

You could live in Northampton too, but it's a little bit further away. You'd take a different entrance onto rte 91 and probably drive a little bit through Northampton to get to your home, although there are lots of streets of older houses that are probably divided up into apartments near the exit. I don't know if there are many good apartments in Easthampton though. It's mostly suburbia and some apartment complexes that didn't seem to be very desirable. You might be able to find part of a two family house though.

I have a good friend in Easthampton and she loves it there. Oh--I used to live there too! It's getting better all the time. The only problem I had living in Easthampton and commuting to downtown Springfield was in the winter, getting over that mountain! It could get pretty scary sometimes in drenching rain or in the ice and snow.
Thank you so much for your insight, will keep this all in mind

Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM

72 posts, read 82,976 times
I've liked living in Springfield. I walked to work, had plenty of options, and big grocery shopping was a short drive. Sad to say I'm leaving soon.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Most of the towns outside of Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee and maybe Westfield are pretty nice

Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKin1977 View Post
I've liked living in Springfield. I walked to work, had plenty of options, and big grocery shopping was a short drive. Sad to say I'm leaving soon.
Didn't you just move in?

Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Most of the towns outside of Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee and maybe Westfield are pretty nice
I have a couple of friends and colleagues in Westfield who love it and it was still on my list when I bought in Northampton. I don't know too much about it, but it may be worth a look. Could be you could get a deal with the hope that it will continue to revitalize.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I have a couple of friends and colleagues in Westfield who love it and it was still on my list when I bought in Northampton. I don't know too much about it, but it may be worth a look. Could be you could get a deal with the hope that it will continue to revitalize.
I'm really surprised to see how far Westfield has come. Used to be run down and boarded up store fronts, depressing place. It looks better every time I drive through. Sometime I think I'd like to stop and eat at one of their cute restaurants and walk around.

It also has Stanley Park. Not too many small cities have such a great park. Westfield is a good location too, close to CT and also pretty close to Northampton. Close to the Mass Pike too, from what i remember.

They've really done a great job. It's looking good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts