Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 AM

106 posts, read 682,400 times

Advertisements

Please help! I am wanting to move to the Salem, MA area but need to know about what to expect in monthly costs such as rent, utilities, and other similiar expenses. I have used Cost Of Living calculators but they always include things that I would not need such prescription medications and car payments. I live simply so I would like to know the average cost of the basics (rent, electricity, gas, trash, water and sewer, cable, internet). I have read many threads about how the COL is very high in the Northeast but I feel that it has to be better that dehydrating out here in the desert of Arizona. Any info would be helpful in my preparations. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 AM

50 posts, read 252,699 times
Salem is great little city. Very walkable. Very safe. But the cost of living is pretty comparable to the rest of the greater boston area. I'd probably place it right in the middle of the pack. Not really high, not really low.

If you rent, the water & sewer is included. So is trash pick-up. Some apartments come with heat included, but that just means they're bundling the cost into your rent. So basically, you will have rent + elec + heat + cable/internet/phone. Heating costs can be brutal if we get a prolonged cold snap and your apt. is old and poorly insulated. Figure at least a $200-300 a month for the teeth of winter. And sometimes our winters have long teeth. Basic cable, internet, phone will probably run about $100-150 total per month. Elec...I dunno, I have elec. heat and a rent a huge warehouse loft and it's horrible, I think a normal apt. is more in the $100 or less range.

Also, although I said it's a great walking city, it doesn't have a lot of "big-box stores" those tend to be neighboring towns (Peabody, Danvers), so for large purchases you generally need to leave Salem. Public transportation is okay, but you'd really rather have a car. Car insurance is crazy high in the state.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:45 PM

Thank You for the details. This will help me set up a budget so I know how much I need to save in order to move. I don't have a fixed move date yet but hope to move before fall of 2010.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 18,316 times
Talking Hello :)

Hello Indigorose! My boyfriend and I are hoping to move to Salem in the near future as well. If you ever want to talk, give each other input, advice, or whatever, you can e-mail me at annak526@aim.com. Hope to hear from you soon, I'm looking forward to meeting someone else interested in the area!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:21 PM

30 posts, read 142,491 times
I'm considering a move to Salem as well, early next year. I'm from Southern California and currently live in West Hollywood and in need of a change of scenery. I fell in love with MA when I visited Boston and surrounding areas and have thought about moving there for awhile.

Can anyone tell me if it's a dog friendly city? I'm a dog trainer and behaviorist with two small dogs and most of the rentals I've found take pets, but I'm just wondering if they're welcome around town as well.

Any info at all on living in Salem would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 PM

50 posts, read 252,699 times
Yeah, dog-friendly. No one lets you bring your dog into stores...much. Small dogs being carried might be ok. Restaurants are right out. But there's a dog-park, and lots of dogs are seen on leashes being walked around the city. A couple foo-foo pet boutiques. Many other parks where you have to keep your dog leashed. Plenty of dogs in Salem.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM

48 posts, read 168,091 times
Salem is a great little town. I lived there for almost a year and a half. It has a terrific downtown, very walkable with some amazing restaurants. Plus Halloween is always a ton of fun there (its my fave holiday). I would definitely try to find a place that includes heat/hot water since the winters can be very cold here, and can cost you a lot of $$. Im living in Boston now but am actually looking to leave the northeast in the next year or so. Been on the East Coast all my life so itching to try something new, plus Boston is a bit too small for me (I prefer larger cities, lived in NYC for a while before moving here).

Anyway I am sure you will enjoy Salem and if you like Indian food definitely check out Passage to India restaurant, they are amazing! I still miss them
Good luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM

I have never tried Indian food but am looking forward to trying them out. I always welcome recommendations about new places.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 PM

40 posts, read 160,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo20 View Post
I'm considering a move to Salem as well, early next year. I'm from Southern California and currently live in West Hollywood and in need of a change of scenery. I fell in love with MA when I visited Boston and surrounding areas and have thought about moving there for awhile.

Can anyone tell me if it's a dog friendly city? I'm a dog trainer and behaviorist with two small dogs and most of the rentals I've found take pets, but I'm just wondering if they're welcome around town as well.

Any info at all on living in Salem would be greatly appreciated!
I am in So. Cal also....how funny. But from MA, been gone for 5 1/2 yrs. I have spent a lot of time in Salem......Salem is very crowded, especially around all the tourists attraction. It is also a VERY confusing place to drive!! I always got lost every time we went to Salem Willows.
I responded because it is one of the towns (or is it a city I think) that I would also consider. Check out the area around Salem State college...very nice area heads down to Swampscott.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:21 PM

30 posts, read 142,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin2012 View Post
I am in So. Cal also....how funny. But from MA, been gone for 5 1/2 yrs. I have spent a lot of time in Salem......Salem is very crowded, especially around all the tourists attraction. It is also a VERY confusing place to drive!! I always got lost every time we went to Salem Willows.
I responded because it is one of the towns (or is it a city I think) that I would also consider. Check out the area around Salem State college...very nice area heads down to Swampscott.
Thanks so much for the info! I need to make a trip back there to really check things out, too hard to try and do everything from here when you don't really know the area.

How do you like it here in So Cal? Ever consider moving back to the east coast? Being a native Californian, I'm ready for some seasons, I get bored with the same weather day after day, year after year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts