Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 PM

29 posts, read 18,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree, as long as the stuff is not right in my face all the time and can avoid it on most days. Certainly helps with the tax base.

But if you ask what Marlborough is missing (for the usual big box crap): Lowe's, Market Basket, BJ's, Wegman's, Dick's. Luckily you can find those in surrounding towns though. I personally just don't like the "feel" of Marlborough, probably not fair though.
Ahhhhh.... BJ's is a huge spot for us. I'll try and not make that a dealbreaker

EDIT: OOPS just realized BJs in MA is a store, not the BJ's Brewhouse restaurants we have in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by nic012; 06-03-2019 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: misunderstood post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
just not in Marlborough. Stow? Yes. Shrewsbury? Yes. Boyston? Yes. Westborough? Yes. Northborough? Sure. Marlborough? Nah.
Would you recommend me looking at these cities to rent in. I'm visiting the area soon and would like to have a better idea of which cities to check out.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
And 3 of them are right on the Berlin/Hudson line 1 stop up 495

OP - Marlborough/Hudson will be the least culture shock, beyond rent prices. There's even a smaller Cabelas.
Worcester isn't a bad commute - from eastern Worcester to the end of 290 in Marlborough is 15 minutes tops (not if you want to get onto 495 south, that'll back up a mile or two at 7:30 am...) More stuff to do for a early 20s couple, but Marlborough/Hudson isn't bad either, and obviously not a bad drive.
Thank you. So far I've seen Hudson and Worccester mentioned multiple times as potential places for me to live. Would you include Berlin in this? I'm sorry I'm unaware of really how these cities are and what they each offer. To me, currently, they are just places on a map. I am travelling to the area soon and want to get an idea of which cities we can visit to get a vibe of the cities, what it offers in terms of shopping/amenities/etc, as well as the places to rent.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Why are you renting out in Marlborough? Why not buy since prices are low.
Where are prices low?

I live by the mortgage 3x my income rule of thumb, and that leaves me precious little options. Even in Marlborough, the options under $250K are in condo complexes that aren't particularly great and that would require a higher monthly payment for less amenities. While I know lots of people put down precious little, I can't stomach the idea of putting less than 10% for a downpayment which is where I would be now. Not to mention, buying ties you down and Marlborough is a poor commute into Boston if I change jobs. I remember getting one of the last spots at the Southborough commuter rail stop at 6:45 a.m. last summer - that's enough to turn me off of buying in the suburbs until (hah!) Mass fixes it's suburban transit system.

The only reason I'm in Marlborough at all is because it was the closest I could afford to my work in Waltham. I can save more renting and have the flexibility to change jobs or even move out of the area that I simply wouldn't if I bought a dumpy condo.

If I could afford Waltham, I'd live there. Marlborough is a pretty boring place to live if you don't have kids, but the OP would benefit from a short commute where she could go elsewhere after work and on weekends for activities.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic012 View Post
Hi. Could you do me a favor and expain inside/outside 128 means? I've seen it said a couple times in the thread but when I pulled up a MA map real quick, I didn't see a major highway called 128 that was my guess that that phrase meant.
If you're looking at Google Maps street view of Massachusetts, do you see the two semi-circles around Boston? The one closer to Boston is 128/95. Inside of that circle is (for the most part) the densest, most expensive residential areas in Massachusetts. Many professionals commute into Boston for work, though there's a strong band of tech and other companies along that corridor as well. The highway itself is gridlocked during rush hour and probably way more traffic than you're used to in the best of times. :P

The further out semi-circle is 495. Marlborough straddles 495. In between 128 and 495 are more affordable, primarily less dense suburbs. You get a whole range of towns from strip mall suburby to pastoral, ultra-posh to more reasonable, and everything in between. Some people still commute into Boston but it's more challenging (re: my comment on commuter rail parking lots filling before 7 a.m.) and time consuming.

Outside of 495, prices really start to drop off for the most part because it's extra challenging to get into the economic centers. It also tends to get more rural (which is my impression of Bolton - gorgeous, but ruralish), but that's not exclusive. There are some towns that are definitely more suburban.

If you like an urban environment, Worcester is up-and-coming (and I would absolutely look to buy there if my commute already didn't kill me). It does have less job opportunities for your boyfriend than Boston, but a great way to make a go of it in Mass.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having all the things in one town. For instance, one of the few Walmarts in the area is Hudson (though if you move here, you'll learn to love Target - so much nicer!). And, to show the cultural divide, there are only a handful of Walmarts inside 495 and I don't believe any inside 128. I didn't even know there were any in Mass until I moved to Marlborough and passed by the one in Hudson while learning the roads!

Nothing is so rural in eastern Mass that you are driving more than 10-15 minutes to a grocery store or CVS - and there's even a 24 hour grocery store in Marlborough! I may live in Marlborough, but I do most of my grocery shopping in Sudbury (Whole Foods) or Hudson (Market Basket). The nicer mall is in Natick which isn't too far - the Marlborough Mall is super depressing with a lot of stores closing up, although that leaves me hopeful that maybe Trader Joe's or Wegman's will set up shop. That's my biggest complaint - the closest Trader Joe's are a bit far for my liking (about 25 minutes give or take traffic) and Wegman's is slowly expanding throughout the Boston area so the closest one is in Northborough. Not far, just not convenient.

Really, the biggest concern with distance is the commute. For reference, I live in Marlborough and commute to Waltham. It's 15 miles and I work a slightly off-peak schedule to deal with the commute (10-6). In the morning, it takes 45 minutes on average. In the evening, it can range from 35 minutes to an hour and 15 (which is what it took today). When I have to go into work for a 9 a.m. meeting, I budget an hour and a half for 15 miles just to be on the safe side.

Traffic is definitely more than you're used to, but it's really concentrated during rush hour. Public transit and the roads haven't expanded to address the growing population. For instance, my commute is almost all on a highway that's 2 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic. If someone needs to turn left, good luck! Living as close to work as you can afford is ideal for your quality of life, especially if you're not used to driving in traffic or long commutes.

Last edited by charolastra00; 06-03-2019 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 06:13 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
I have nothing more to add to what others have already said other than COngratulations and welcome.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Thank you. So far I've seen Hudson and Worccester mentioned multiple times as potential places for me to live. Would you include Berlin in this? I'm sorry I'm unaware of really how these cities are and what they each offer. To me, currently, they are just places on a map. I am travelling to the area soon and want to get an idea of which cities we can visit to get a vibe of the cities, what it offers in terms of shopping/amenities/etc, as well as the places to rent.
Berlin is very pretty, and on the rural side but you're still an easy drive to anything you need in surrounding towns. Northborough is also a nice town, right next to Marlborough and with a good number of amenities as well. I echo the general consensus that your best bet is to just live as close as possible. A few parts of Marlborough are on the dumpy side, most of it is more than fine though although nothing to get excited about. I agree with others who say that Hudson probably offers the most of what you want close by.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Would you recommend me looking at these cities to rent in. I'm visiting the area soon and would like to have a better idea of which cities to check out.
I'd look in those other towns mentioned before Marlborough.

Oh, and B.J.'s is like Costco or Sam's club.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For instance, one of the few Walmarts in the area is Hudson (though if you move here, you'll learn to love Target - so much nicer!). And, to show the cultural divide, there are only a handful of Walmarts inside 495 and I don't believe any inside 128. I didn't even know there were any in Mass until I moved to Marlborough and passed by the one in Hudson while learning the roads!
Meh, there are more than enough Walmarts (as well as Stop and Shops) to go around (pretty much drive in any direction from Marlborough and you hit one). I can name at least one inside 128. One thing I miss about down there though (unlike where I am now), is that there are plenty of other alternatives if you prefer (I hate Target too). The rest of your post is pretty spot on.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Marlborough is a town for the poor
Tell that to the majority living there who aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts